Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

I run the Type 3 Army Instagram page where we've started a discussion and shown this new fan-pulley. It's been in the works for about six months now, and is still in the prototype/tweaking/testing phase. So far everything is looking good. We're over the hump of having it drawn up in CAD and having two prototypes made. From here we are making tweaks to make this fan-pulley better and better before finalizing the design. The idea was born mostly out of the fact that it hasn't been done yet and the want to see more high performance aftermarket Type 3 parts. There are those who will say it isn't necessary, and that the stock fan-pulley is just fine... To that I actually agree, BUT by that logic, every Type 1 engine out there running on the street "should" just have a stock steel pulley right?? We know that's not the case. I believe this billet aluminum fan-pulley is an upgrade from the stock magnesium fan-pulley. We've done away with the weights and hump and bumps around the perimeter. Which has made this new pulley actually lighter than stock. Yes, you will no longer be able to rotate your motor using the old long screwdriver driver method that destroys your timing hole in the shroud. The new fan-pulley will be clear anodized, balanced and also have timing degree marks like you see on most aftermarket pulleys. It'll also have a second larger dowel pin option. It will come with a factory size dowel pin installed and have a second hole location already drilled for a slightly larger dowel pin. The the larger dowel pin will come with the pulley as well. Your fan will need to be drilled for the second dowel pin. We're considering making a jig to line up and mark where to drill your fan for the second dowel. We have not set a price on these just yet. It'll most likely be a pre order situation for the first batch and we'll set an order limit of 50 pieces so we can get a quote on price per unit. The two prototypes were made in China by Fictiv, yes China... after getting quotes locally they had the best pricing. The two prototypes are beautiful and turned out way better than expected. They're made from 6061 T6 billet aluminum. I'm sure i'm leaving something out here, but I just wanted to get this info out there to the Samba crowd and open a discussion...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

I'd buy one if they are made. Even in small batches.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

I presume you true the mating faces, and then balance them by removing material?
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I presume you true the mating faces, and then balance them by removing material?

The mating faces are true from production.. Balancing, yes removing material will be how it’s done. Haven’t balanced either of the prototypes yet...
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

Now that is a beautiful thing right there. Can you have them made for a serpentine belt? Just asking as it would make swapping to an alternator easier.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
swivel'n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

Id be interested, also, what black coating is that on your cooling fan shroud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

I like where this is going...I'm interested in one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Now that is a beautiful thing right there. Can you have them made for a serpentine belt? Just asking as it would make swapping to an alternator easier.

Thank you! They could easily be designed with a serpentine style belt in mind. We’re going to stick with a V belt for this one.

Last edited by Critter1 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

swivel'n wrote:
Id be interested, also, what black coating is that on your cooling fan shroud.

It’s rattle can black wrinkle finish.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

I'm a type 4 guy these days...used to be a type 3 guy...but that is damn, damn nice. Very nice work!

Ray
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

I'd be interested if you did produce one with a serpentine Gates style micro v belt.
Also if you give some thought to incorporating a crank trigger wheel or accommodating a separate bolt on trigger wheel that would future proof it.
BTW very nice work. Having tried to find a decent fan for my engine the ratio of worn-out pulleys to decent ones was about 10:1.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
I'd be interested if you did produce one with a serpentine Gates style micro v belt.
Also if you give some thought to incorporating a crank trigger wheel or accommodating a separate bolt on trigger wheel that would future proof it.
BTW very nice work. Having tried to find a decent fan for my engine the ratio of worn-out pulleys to decent ones was about 10:1.

x2

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:

We’ve spoken with Mario at The Dub Shop about making a trigger wheel specific fit this pulley. He’s on board. Part of the refinement tweaks we are working on is adding four 5x.08 threaded holes evenly around the perimeter of the pulley. The issue will be whether it’s worth the added C&C machining cost compared to the demand for crank a trigger set up. The more time & tooling in the C&C, the higher the cost will be.
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

The final product will actually weigh a little more than this prototype. We are “beefing up” the base of each blade where it ties into the hub for more strength to combat high torque. Material may also be added in areas if we decide to go with adding the crank trigger attachment holes.

Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

Critter1 wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo wrote:

We’ve spoken with Mario at The Dub Shop about making a trigger wheel specific fit this pulley. He’s on board. Part of the refinement tweaks we are working on is adding four 5x.08 threaded holes evenly around the perimeter of the pulley. The issue will be whether it’s worth the added C&C machining cost compared to the demand for crank a trigger set up. The more time & tooling in the C&C, the higher the cost will be.

Sounds great. As a compromise, if cost is an issue, you could machine within the cnc program 5 dimples as starter holes. This way the end user can drill and tap their own holes for crank trigger wheels in the exact right spot and save costs.
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

Looks like a nifty fan sir.
Good show.

I will keep my eye on this one and hope it goes further than the alternator bracket set up we are all wanting.
really-whale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

This is really cool! Most likely out of my price range at the moment, but I'm always very happy to see new aftermarket parts for the Type 3.

I'm interested to know how the blades compare with those on the original, it looks like there is a little less pitch to them at the centre?
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

Critter1 wrote:
The final product will actually weigh a little more than this prototype. We are “beefing up” the base of each blade where it ties into the hub for more strength to combat high torque. Material may also be added in areas if we decide to go with adding the crank trigger attachment holes.

Why does the angle of blade look so different on the hub part? It looks like it is just 90* and not the same angle like the factory unit. It should make the unit stronger if you start out with the blade in an angle. Doesn't it?? Just pointing it out
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:

Why does the angle of blade look so different on the hub part? It looks like it is just 90* and not the same angle like the factory unit. It should make the unit stronger if you start out with the blade in an angle. Doesn't it?? Just pointing it out

I took an original fan to a cnc shop once to see the viability of redesigning it with a serpentine pulley and they said they couldn't copy that fan design. He didn't think there was enough room to machine full depth of the blades near the hub. Perhaps since I presented a hobby project he knew there wouldn't be a budget either to throw money and time at figuring out a solution so maybe I didn't get the full picture.
really-whale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet Fan-Pulley by T3A: Discussion Reply with quote

Good point - I had suspected there might not be enough room for a tool head to fit in there between the blades. On the original you can see the casting marks from who knows how many parts to the mold. It really is a pretty complex part!

I wonder if the original fan shape (or even some kind of super advanced blade profile) could be achieved by flipping the workpiece and machining both sides? The cost would pretty much double though, I'm sure..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: