Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone seen this Thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magnothedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Anyone seen this Thing? Reply with quote

This seems to have been for sale for a long time, wondering if anyone has seen it.

http://www.vwthingclassifieds.com/1973-manual-in-joshua-tree-ca/

Thanks
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen this Thing? Reply with quote

My personal opinion:
From the pictures, that Thing looks like it’s pretty incredible. But $30k is a lot of coin. I guess it depends what you’re looking for, but you can get into a decent one for 1/3 of that price, and probably a pretty nice one for 1/2 that price. If you were planning to build / restore one to factory new, you would probably spend as much as just buying this one.
It’s also a small market for these cars. I’d bet 99/100 people don’t have a clue what they are, and even 9/10 VW people don’t even know. So when very few people are looking to buy a Thing, a very small fraction of that small group are willing to spend $30,000.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen this Thing? Reply with quote

When someone brags about the spare never having been on the ground, I have to question any and every other claim they are making. If it sat from 1980 to 2007 that leaves 20+/- years it was on the road but supposedly only has 32K miles, or about 1600 miles per years. If it actually has 132K miles that would be 6,600 miles per year, which is still pretty low. The seller would have to produce verifiable paper work for me to believe it on has 32K miles.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen this Thing? Reply with quote

Looks like a nice example for sure but not sure that it's worth $30K. BTW, if you click on the link to the Craig's List posting that this originated from you'll see that this posting has expired so this Thing has either sold or was never really for sale.

My advice would be if you have $30K to drop on a Thing then go for it but be careful when they ask for you to wire the money to some strange foreign account before they'll ship it to you.

There's a fellow out there (Lee Caplan?) that has an orange Thing that is all original and in show room condition. These photos look suspiciously like his Thing to me but maybe there's a second mint orange Thing out there looking for a new home. Correction...Lee's Thing is a '74 so this is not his.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen this Thing? Reply with quote

I would be pretty surprised if this was a scam ad. Usually those scams are a $30,000 car being sold for $10k, just to entice you to send a quick deposit or payment on it. It’s not often the scams have a high dollar price tag or even fair market value price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen this Thing? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
When someone brags about the spare never having been on the ground, I have to question any and every other claim they are making. If it sat from 1980 to 2007 that leaves 20+/- years it was on the road but supposedly only has 32K miles, or about 1600 miles per years. If it actually has 132K miles that would be 6,600 miles per year, which is still pretty low. The seller would have to produce verifiable paper work for me to believe it on has 32K miles.

I agree with you on most cars but it seems like there are a lot of low-mileage Things out there.

They seem to have been a toy/extra car for a lot of people
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Magnothedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen this Thing? Reply with quote

https://www.crevierclassiccars.com/inventory/1974-volkswagen-thing

Was this Lee's 74? Dealer doesn't say much, but looks like it was nicely restored.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen this Thing? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

I agree. Just using the spare as an example. Did VW worry about making the vanity decision to have rims balanced only on the inside (see all 5)? Is that BF Goodrich "letterhead" from the 70s? The wheels look repainted on my screen.

Granted the jambs look really nice, but Things always show boot scuffs on the thresholds. I want 100+ photos of any car advertised for such a top end of market price.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen this Thing? Reply with quote

Wheels look like they may have been repainted. But the tire is original, may look different but that's because they were made in Mexico. How many spare tires have you seen with the factory wheel weights still on them? It's not that uncommon to find a Thing with that kind of mileage. I found mind with less than 20k.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: