Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I think it’s a thing beam
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: I think it’s a thing beam Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It all happened kind of fast but I think I bought a type 181 beam for $410. Did I do good or bad? I don’t see these everyday.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: I think it’s a thing beam Reply with quote

It is a thing beam, no question about that. Shock tower gussets are a dead giveaway. 400 is a bit steep in my opinion, but if you wanted thing arms/spindles, now you got them. Nice find.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I think it’s a thing beam Reply with quote

Here in CA, 410.00 is a good deal, not to mention they are hardtop find. Many you see here on Samba, have rust.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I think it’s a thing beam Reply with quote

I thought a Thing had 5 lug brakes.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I think it’s a thing beam Reply with quote

They did. But 4 lug drums are a "bolt-on" and are easier to find as well as less expensive when replacing worn drums.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I think it’s a thing beam Reply with quote

I wasn’t looking for this but a friend needed money to pay an expensive vet bill and so I went for it. Better than a loan.

I have never had a thing but I understand it has some lift built into the spindles and the ball joint arrangement is stronger. Also shock towers appear to be reinforced. Can anyone fill me in on wether it is worth installing on Farmin’ Ghia and what difference it might make?

Currently I am running a stock beam with a 1/4” cut and turn and some reinforcements I added myself (hook and rod stops for the ball joints, gussets on the steering arms and shock towers).
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I think it’s a thing beam Reply with quote

As you said, stronger ball joint set up, but the biggest thing is lift, while retaining a stock torsion leaf preload, so a stock front suspension ride.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I think it’s a thing beam Reply with quote

It gives you about 3” lift over stock bug with no cut and turn needed , it is also I think about an 1” wider and the springs are a little stiffer along with the brackets for the brace mounts back to the floor pan and reinforced shock towers. And both ball joints face down which is stronger
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: I think it’s a thing beam Reply with quote

Yes, we’ll worth installing on the Ghia. The additional width also give you more clearance for your bigger tires on the inner fender. However, you may need to trim the leading edge of the fender & the lower apron a bit.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I think it’s a thing beam Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Yes, we’ll worth installing on the Ghia. The additional width also give you more clearance for your bigger tires on the inner fender. However, you may need to trim the leading edge of the fender & the lower apron a bit.

This I like. My turning radius is currently compromised by rubbing on the inside.

Is it worth trying to adapt the Ghia disc brakes to the thing beam or should I just run the thing drums?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I think it’s a thing beam Reply with quote

Run the discs, VAST improvement over the drums. The biggest advantage is the fact that they “self adjust” so you don’t have brake pedal travel issues as much especially since the larger tires put more wear on the brakes. I just got a disc conversion kit, primarily for the bracket. You will need to make, or make your Ghia splash shields work with the conversion. The wash from the opposite wheel soaks the rotors & makes the brakes nonexistent for the first 30’-50’ until the water is cleaned off. Not a good feeling if you aren’t expecting it.

Another thing you should do is to source a pair of Thing “Y” braces from the classified section, you can really feel them stiffen up the chassis.

Once you install the Thing beam, you will probably want to raise the rear yet again, I did this several times to finally get the car to sit & ride the way that I wanted it & after getting a pair of BFGs on the rear, I still had rubbing issues when landing or on large dips. I remedied this by installing a set of 29mm torsion bars. I REALLY wish that I had done this from the beginning, you set them so they’re just past the stops & there isn’t any preloading to get them to sit properly & the rubbing issues went away.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: I think it’s a thing beam Reply with quote

I converted my thing front brakes to ghia type using a bracket available and I modified the splash guard to work. Great improvement and later I changed out the rears to type 3 and my braking is fantastic now.

I fabricated my own braces to fit where the thing braces would have been.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: