Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Don't want to salvage! Help!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1971Lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Don't want to salvage! Help! Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Unfortunately, I had an engine fire in my 71 bus yesterday. I'm in CA. I definitely want to avoid any salvage of this vehicle. Do any of you have any insight as to if insurance companies always default to salvage, or if you are in the So Cal area, any shops that could evaluate and prove the bus is not salvaged?

Please Help!

1971Lou

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Don't want to salvage! Help! Reply with quote

really sorry. To avoid salvage you will have to convince the insurance company it isn't a total loss. Usually they total it and then you can buy it back but then it will get a salvage title. That said, with cars this old it doesn't affect the value except in someone's mind. There are restored aircraft worth millions where all that existed before the restoration was a serial number tag. There are so many cars out there now that have been restored that were in wrecking yards that salvage titles on old cars are common. If someone is going to drive it they are more interested in how it drives than the fine print on the title.

Really sorry about the fire. Fuel line failure?
1971Lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Don't want to salvage! Help! Reply with quote

SGKent,

The fire department didn't make it conclusive, but they did speculate it was the fuel line. I appreciate your feedback, and hope to fight the salvage as best I can.

God Bless!

James
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Don't want to salvage! Help! Reply with quote

You'll need to get the whole bus looked at by a professional. Fire can change the properties of steel. The more important parts are any of the frame that were involved in the fire.

If the insurance company declares it a total loss then let them know you want to keep the vehicle. There is nothing wrong with salvage as long as you can get it titled for road use.

Carry a fire extinguisher with you. If you had one carry two next time. You want to get to it before the fire department
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't want to salvage! Help! Reply with quote

If you make a claim on your insurance that will be totaled.

If you don’t want a salvage title, don’t claim

There is no reason to avoid a salvage title.
1971Lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't want to salvage! Help! Reply with quote

I wanted to update this post with some good news! Insurance accepted a restoration without salvage! If you find the right restorer, it makes all the difference! I highly recommend Shaun at Slow Ride Garage in Hesperia, Ca for any and all restoration needs!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't want to salvage! Help! Reply with quote

Good for you but Shaun chose the wrong exhaust. What else is wrong?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't want to salvage! Help! Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Good for you but Shaun chose the wrong exhaust. What else is wrong?

Looks like the pea shooters were on there at the time of the fire. So it may not be the fault of the restorer!

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't want to salvage! Help! Reply with quote

1971Lou wrote:
I wanted to update this post with some good news! Insurance accepted a restoration without salvage! If you find the right restorer, it makes all the difference! I highly recommend Shaun at Slow Ride Garage in Hesperia, Ca for any and all restoration needs!

That’s great news, and the work was done quick! Hopefully you get many more years of use out of the bus.

1969 Karmann Ghia convertible
1971 Westfalia camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Don't want to salvage! Help! Reply with quote

Glad you got your bus back!

I was on the phone with my insurance company last week and was offered “Cherished Salvage Coverage”, I had never heard of it before. Basically in the event of a total loss, you still get paid the agreed upon value of the vehicle and you also get to keep it and they’ll still insure it through the rebuild.

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/classic-car-insu...e-coverage
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Don't want to salvage! Help! Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting the bus restored! It looks great.

brando90gl wrote:
Glad you got your bus back!

I was on the phone with my insurance company last week and was offered “Cherished Salvage Coverage”, I had never heard of it before. Basically in the event of a total loss, you still get paid the agreed upon value of the vehicle and you also get to keep it and they’ll still insure it through the rebuild.

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/classic-car-insu...e-coverage

Yup, that's what I've got. Plus agreed value at $90k. Hagerty.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971Lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Don't want to salvage! Help! Reply with quote

Interesting this Hagerty's 'Cherished' coverage. I'm curious if that gives Hagerty a bit more leeway to call something a total loss. I'll look into it! And yes, there were pea shooters on there before. He did a pure like-for-like restoration. I'm just happy we're back on the road with it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: