Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oval glove box lid adjustment
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1959man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Oval glove box lid adjustment Reply with quote

Hi all,
I was wondering, does anyone know the trick to get an oval glove box lid to open once the button is pressed?
Mine just refuses to open and needs long finger nails or something to pry it open. I have a glove box Inner RHD (After 20 years of looking) now so wanted to get it working.

Any advice welcome.
Thanks,
Matthew
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Oval glove box lid adjustment Reply with quote

Have you replaced these?
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111857145

If the latch parts are not messed up, the rubber nubs are probably collapsed or missing. They give the door tension so it pops when you press the button

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1959man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oval glove box lid adjustment Reply with quote

Thanks TinCanFab,
yes I have new ones of those I took from another car and fitted but lid is still loose, So I put a bit of pressure on button to bend it a little and it is tighter but still doesn’t “pop open”.
There must be a sweet spot for it working as when you let go of the latch it hooks up again, I may yet end up using one of those finger plates between the lid and latch as a short term fix.

Also I’m crying as I write this as the glove box liner is crumbling as I fit it and needs a few repairs.....

Does anyone have an oval lid that pops open or ideas or strengthening a liner?

Thanks
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Oval glove box lid adjustment Reply with quote

Check the hinges on the inside. Maybe spray some WD-40 or grease them up a little. Mine were pretty stiff until I worked some rust out of them.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikes57BuginPA Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oval glove box lid adjustment Reply with quote

Search the classifieds for "Glove Box Pull". It makes opening the lid easier. I think I paid around $15.00 for mine.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval glove box lid adjustment Reply with quote

1959man wrote:
Also I’m crying as I write this as the glove box liner is crumbling as I fit it and needs a few repairs.....

Does anyone have ideas for strengthening a liner?

Thanks

Here's an idea for ya.....
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627079&highlight=glove+box

Another one.....
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1359625
1959man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval glove box lid adjustment Reply with quote

Hi all,
Well I finally found the issue, the rubber grommets were actually the wrong way round, the flat part was pointing to the lid (they have been like that since I fitted them about 25 years ago). Still works now, only just but does open.
Thanks for the replies.
1959man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Oval glove box lid adjustment Reply with quote

And of course the glove box fitted now as the pointy bit of the gromit wasn’t pushing into the glove box liner box.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: