Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baja Buck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

Found this buggy with an air cooled Porsche engine that has been fitted with a Turbo. It has been parked a very long time but has lots of cool bits. I really like the front and rear bumpers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Baja Buck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

Baja Buck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

Pre 66 vw chassis, link pin front beam.

66 to 72 type 1 vw engine.
Single port 1300,1500,1600

Simple early blow through turbo.

But still cool buggy....have fun......just don't pay too much thinking it is Porsche.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

Wow that is neat! Was the drone already in there? Doesn't look period correct. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

What a pile. To me the only cool part is the hardtop.
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

were is the Porsche Turbo engine????

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Baja Buck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

Was just sharing something cool that I found. I do not plan on purchasing it as the restoration needed is far beyond my skills. The owner believes the engine was built from parts out of a Porsche 356 combined with a turbo and some other VW parts. I have no idea.

The buggy is located in Southern California and if this is a project someone wants to take on, shoot me a PM and I’ll talk to the owner.

S/F

B
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

That is the same buggy body that I have. Shame it is so far away. I do like the way these tail lights look. Wonder what they came off from.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

Ha - not many 356/912 parts fit a T1 engine. Maybe the coil and plug wires.

Looks rough but could be brought back - as another said the top is cool.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

halfassleatherworks wrote:

That what i was wondering.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
halfassleatherworks wrote:

That what i was wondering.

Some poor uninformed guy is going to get burnt on that one! There isn't even a Porsche nut or bolt there that I can see...
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

This must be one of those - "My uncle had a Man X buggy with a porch engine that would pull wheelies in 2nd gear" that I hear about at the cruise nights or VW shows in my area, after they look at our real Meyers Manx buggies. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

The exhaust warrants another look... it appears that you have to use bolts on all of the exhaust ports. They did a nice job on the fabrication, to bad it won't perform.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

Dan the workingstiff wrote:
to bad it won't perform.

It won’t perform because..... ??
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
This must be one of those - "My uncle had a Man X buggy with a porch engine that would pull wheelies in 2nd gear" that I hear about at the cruise nights or VW shows in my area, after they look at our real Meyers Manx buggies. Tom

Thats exactly what I was thinking! Then you go look at it and they want $15k because "look at those auction prices!" Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
to bad it won't perform.

It is my understanding, it won't scavenge properly.

How is this exhaust, forget the turbo, different than dual cannons?
Is connecting both sides into a 2 into 1 collector enough of a difference?

Should tubing be upsized after 2&4?

By no means are these equal length headers.

It is also my understanding that for a turbo, you want the fastest, hottest exhaust set-up.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

[quote="Dan the workingstiff"]
oprn wrote:
to bad it won't perform.

It is my understanding, it won't scavenge properly.

Scavenging is not nearly as critical on a force fed engine as it is with NA engines.
How is this exhaust, forget the turbo, different than dual cannons?
Is connecting both sides into a 2 into 1 collector enough of a difference?
The only time you can forget the turbo is when you remove it. That said there may be a slight disadvantage at or just above idle but with a single carb it will be no worse than the engine was in stock form.

Should tubing be upsized after 2&4? By no means are these equal length headers.

Maybe, maybe not. Keeping the exhaust velocity up can be more important on a turbo system for quicker response. Equal length is only important on a turbo installation when you are going for that last few possible HP at the top end. For the most part a turbo-ed engine could care less about equal length.

It is also my understanding that for a turbo, you want the fastest, hottest exhaust set-up.

Exactly! Small exhaust tubing with the shortest possible route gets the best results in quick spooling up of the turbo. Up sizing the tubing slows down the exhaust gasses as does long convoluted equal length headers. Not only because of the volume they contain but because of heat loss and the shrinkage of exhaust gasses that happens when you expose that much pipe to the wind. This is why wrapping a turbo exhaust system is so important on VWs. It's pretty hard to get a compact exhaust system on a boxer engine.

Now don't get me wrong, there is an advantage to a tuned exhaust system on a turbo engine but it is not that large and only for those that are going for the ultimate out of their engine combo. Not at all to the same degree as an NA engine. Don't get all hung up on the "equal length" thing it just is not very important for us regular smucks on the street. Case in point, take a look at the turbo exhaust that CB Performance sells and the exhaust manifolds every factory turbo car on the market. They all work fine.

I think you would be shocked at how well this particular set up would work - if of course that turbo is matched correctly for that engine.
Baja Buck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy with AC Porsche Turbo engine Reply with quote

I spoke with owner of the buggy. He is asking $3,000 for it as it sits FOB Los Angeles. If anyone would like to take on this project, I would be happy to assist in helping it find a new home.

If I can help please shoot me a PM.

S/F

B
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: