Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

i did search, and unless i'm blind, i found zip on the subject

i thought i would futz with my original covers, but the reality is i don't have the time.

anyone running the go westy covers? thoughts on durability/quality?

i can get the delta 6 a bit cheaper, but if it's the same shitbag design, why bother is my thought. GW's look pretty beefed up. especially around the screw holes.

any feedback is greatly appreciated

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: go westy westfalia hook up boxes Reply with quote

I'm running the GW Solar box, A/C connection box, and water tank fill port box. I've had mine installed for about 2 years. They all have a consistent look, and they've been pretty durable. Even when I smack into the A/C door with my arms forgetting it's in the open position.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: go westy westfalia hook up boxes Reply with quote

I replaced all of mine with GW boxes 5+ years ago. I've been very happy with them. The cam-based door that holds itself open is much nicer

Robyn
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: go westy westfalia hook up boxes Reply with quote

GW set here as well
Replaced the city water with an electrical breakout (solar, led lighting, etc)
Happy with them they keep open really well and the van lives outside pretty much full time and no sign of sun fading, cracking, etc. The old boxes were absolutely trashed.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: go westy westfalia hook up boxes Reply with quote

well, that settles that. ordering them tonight.

thanks for the real world reviews. the swing between the Delta Six and GW ones is negligible so it just makes sense to go with a better product.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: go westy westfalia hook up boxes Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=499285

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=698326

Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

^^^

well then....

Link

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

I've installed quite a few sets and seem to be robust. Have you read the GW write up about what drove them to having them made?

They fit well and come with all the needed hardware and seals, they don't lock but who needs them locked anyway.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

I really like mine, however I found that they are not very water tight. I ended up taking mine apart and sealing them up with silicone where needed. They are now water tight.
bene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

dschaftlein wrote:
I really like mine, however I found that they are not very water tight. I ended up taking mine apart and sealing them up with silicone where needed.

That was my experience as well. The included foam seals wouldn't compress evenly around the edges of the frame and left gaps when the screws were tightened down. During the first solid rainstorm quite a bit of water leaked past the seals.

A bead of GE Silicone II on both sides of the seal during reinstallation resolved that problem, and the ports themselves have been durable and troublefree.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

I have the GW water filler connector and find it to be a very well-designed product. The Delta-six units were thinner plastic. Time and UV makes them brittle.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

Sealing them with silicone isn't the best idea.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

I installed an outlet box on my 86 Weekender for those times I want Shore Power inside.

I chose GoWesty's because of the improved design.

I will install an electrical box on my 90 Tintop for those times I want Shore Power inside.

I will use GoWesty again. I am kicking myself because I recently ordered their 3rd brake light and couldn't think of what else I needed, forgetting about this electric box.
Now I need to order again, double the freight expense! Yay....... Crying or Very sad

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

bene wrote:
dschaftlein wrote:
I really like mine, however I found that they are not very water tight. I ended up taking mine apart and sealing them up with silicone where needed.

That was my experience as well. The included foam seals wouldn't compress evenly around the edges of the frame and left gaps when the screws were tightened down. During the first solid rainstorm quite a bit of water leaked past the seals.

A bead of GE Silicone II on both sides of the seal during reinstallation resolved that problem, and the ports themselves have been durable and troublefree.

wonderful. so yet another product that almost works, but not really. dam it....so tired of having to modify/tweek/rebuild "new" parts and it's not like they give these away at 50 bux a pop plus shipping.

well, i already ordered them as well as a few other things to bundle shipping.

dschaftlein~ what do you mean by "took them apart to seal them" are these multi piece units? kind of hard to tell in the photos.

any alternatives to their foam seals? total bullshit that they have to be modified. i'll look at them when they get here. if they look like crap they're going back and i will put the effort into rebuilding my boxes.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

dschaftlein wrote:
I really like mine, however I found that they are not very water tight. I ended up taking mine apart and sealing them up with silicone where needed. They are now water tight.

ditto

i had to pull mine out and use liberal amounts of silicone to seal them. there is no gasketing between the modular components, so expect to disassemble and seal.

they are sturdy and well made, just lack proper sealing for those of us not in southern Cali

BiWerks Design, LLC
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

dschaftlein~ what do you mean by "took them apart to seal them" are these multi piece units? kind of hard to tell in the photos.

any alternatives to their foam seals? total bullshit that they have to be modified. i'll look at them when they get here. if they look like crap they're going back and i will put the effort into rebuilding my boxes.

The boxes are kind of multi piece - the center "function" part differs depending on which box functions you ordered, but the outer flap and frame are common throughout. There's a seal there where those two meet.

My impression was that perhaps some early boxes had issues there. Mine look great where those meet and I've seen no leaks.

Also, should note at least in my experience that any leaks in the center section would only come into play if they were wide open in the rain.
Otherwise at least on mine the doors are tight enough at the top that they act like a nice seal from any splash on water. So I guess how carefully you examine that center seal maybe depends on how much you plan to have them open fully in sideways rain

For the foam, I would take some butyl rubber and string a thin bead around the back part of the foam. No need to modify anything. I've only read a few limited negative comments about the leaking from what I can tell from early-ish adaptors. Like I said no issues on mine but I did throw then butyl on the foam backer just last week - had them off to take a peak behind them when I was redoing my top recently

MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

Butyl rubber is what I'll be using when I fix the rusted mess posted above.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

$10 lifetime supply in one roll from Mr Bezos hah

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

For the foam, I would take some butyl rubber and string a thin bead around the back part of the foam. No need to modify anything. I've only read a few limited negative comments about the leaking from what I can tell from early-ish adaptors. Like I said no issues on mine but I did throw then butyl on the foam backer just last week - had them off to take a peak behind them when I was redoing my top recently

thanks for the input. i suppose it would make sense to make 1 frame and swap guts. i'll take a peek when they turn up.

I have the lifetime supply of 3M 'window ribbon' you speak of and that was my initial thought when people were complaining about leaks... roll up a thin worm of it and seal the seal....

anyway still a bit crappy you need to go thru this on a supposed 'upgrade' i know, i'm just bitching now. guess after 30+ years playing with vintage junk i should just come to expect it...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
NorthOf50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Westfalia hook-up boxes Reply with quote

a PO of my van replaced the stocks w/ GW years back and they are still in top shape. slapped a set of the GW decals on them and they looks good as new. I suspect they've been on my van over a decade, no indication of water ingress and it's not particularly dry where I live! I also appreciated that the GW have the American shore power setup as opposed the Canadian version with the pull out cord, far superior design.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: