Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

And so it begins... (2234 build)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

I have an engine that was in my Baja when I bought it. I was told it's a 2180. Had dual kads and was a torquey little engine.

But if you've followed my YT videos, it was a leaky mess. The final straw was the broken lifter bore. So I've been running an 1835 with a progressive (and shitacular Empi intake and exhaust) ever since.

I miss the torque of the bigger engine.

I bought a used Mexican AS41 case for $200 shipped. Never machined, apparently only one 1600 build out of it. The engine had:

W110
84mm Crank (might be cast... I found a casting line)
Stock but clearanced rods
Dual Kads (since sold off...)
Cracked heads (Big valves, built on a stock casting)

I dropped it off at Berg this afternoon for cutting and clearancing (how the hell do you spell that?). I honestly had zero idea Berg was like 4 minutes from my house! Now that Rimco is in Santa Fe Springs (and I'm not super happy with them anyway), my options are narrowing. I stopped at AJ's shop and he recommended Berg.

Anyway, I have the CIP1 IDF 44 clones, heads from Mofoco coming, the cam and lifters are PERFECT (must have been changed recently). I'm happy with the 110 for this. The crank is a big question mark right now. If it's truly cast, I hesitate to use it, but the damn thing ran for who knows how long in the original engine. The P&C were completely worn out! I may build it anyway after having it gone over.

Haven't decided...

Anyway, the torque beastie is on the way! I can't wait, even though it'll be a slow build. I don't do anything fast...

Last edited by DurocShark on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Just got a call from Gene Berg asking me to bring a cylinder in to make sure they get the bore just right.

I love them so much. Smile
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Cam change... I was just handed a beautiful Web 122/125.

Ugh, I think I'm gonna need dual springs. Anybody running that cam with single HD springs?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Just got a call from Gene Berg...

Gene passed years ago.

DurocShark wrote:

W110
84mm Crank (might be cast... I found a casting line)
Stock but clearanced rods
Dual Kads (since sold off...)
Cracked heads (Big valves, built on a stock casting)

Sounds like a Bergmann POS.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

OK, Gene Berg Enterprises. Razz
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

So you're gonna stick with a W110 in a 2234?

Why not get a cam that will produce some power?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

No idea who Bergmann is but I'm not totally disgusted with that engine. I think the BS I found was from later "repairs" and the cam replacement since that cam and lifters look brand new.

Aside from the craptactular case, there was heavy wear in the cylinders and the center crank bearing was showing copper. The other bearings were fine (another vote for that crank being cast vs forged). Oh, the dual kads on there were pretty tired too.

I think the carbs were choking that engine more than anything else. I suspect I can get a bunch more power out of a better breathing engine of the same specs.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Hence me asking about the Web 122/125...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Hence me asking about the Web 122/125...

Good... make sure you get the combo right or it can be a dog.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

The W110 was a TON of fun in this car and that was with shitty heads and itty bitty dual Kads. So it's a known quantity.

But better heads and bigger carbs tell me it won't be enough anymore. So when this was handed to me, the fast ramp of this cam makes me think I need to change up the heads some. That's why I ask questions.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

A Baja with large heavy off road rear tires doesn't need high RPM horsepower. The W-110 might be a great cam where you get the most torque in the 1500-4500 RPM range.

What heads? What size exhaust? What size rear tires? what gear ratios?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

More importantly... Can that 122/125 run ok with single HD springs?

Heads aren't here yet, so just the one question so far.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:

Not a chance. Duals for sure. The 122 has pretty quick ramps.

Brian
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Web-Cam-Type-1-Split-Duration-Camshaft-122-125-p/00-312.htm
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
DurocShark wrote:

Not a chance. Duals for sure. The 122 has pretty quick ramps.

Brian

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Took the crank to DPR for a polish/grind. It's cracked. Sigh.

Ordered a new one from them. Smile They're going to work over the flywheel too and balance them.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Note to self: Don't try to clearance your cam with an angle grinder.

Hahaha

I figured it was worth a shot. The cam was free...

So now what cam should I be looking at? I'm leaning toward a C35. ACN has them for $80 and already clearanced.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Since I'm stalled on the bottom end, I went over the P&C's. I'm impressed with AA. Balanced within .5 grams by swapping the wrist pins between two pistons.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Cleaning up the various parts revealed this. How does the timing gear get so mauled but still run?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(The clean one is the problem...)
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Most cam gear failures are due to the small gear getting distorted or the big gear coming loose on the cam. Or the mag gear just crumbles apart but not often.
I've seen them put together too tight or too loose or all dented up and still work....good enough.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: