Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bumper bracket seal kit
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdn_squareback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: bumper bracket seal kit Reply with quote

I'm looking for any information on the seals that go around the front bumper holes for the bracket. I have an old one but it's broken and I think that's where the part number was.

any information would be great
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: bumper bracket seal kit Reply with quote

Seals were only used on Beetles, never on Type 3's.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdn_squareback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: bumper bracket seal kit Reply with quote

maybe they were not seals but was there a trim piece? it was pretty hard so I thought it could have been a gasket
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: bumper bracket seal kit Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

Yup. What he said.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: bumper bracket seal kit Reply with quote

I raised this issue previously, and was going to find the thread and let you know how I went once I had completed the job. However, since it is now raised again, I will confirm what I have done.
I purchased 111 707 193, which is the "Grommet Bumper Bar S/Bug Front 100 mm". I am currently in the process of fitting them, and it is not easy !! The metal hole on the TY 3 has turned / rolled edges on the inside, and this makes it VERY difficult to get the grommet to slide in place. It took me several hours of slowly getting the metal edges of the hole to fit in between the inner and out rubber edges - The gap is just too small. However, I think I have them in place. and have inserted some spacers in the slot over night to try to force the rubber grommet to stay in place. My job today will be to try and slide the bumper bar brackets through the grommets without it pulling the grommets out of position.
If I were to grind off the turned edge around the hole, so that it was just a flat metal edge, the grommet would probably slide into place quite easily, but I am not willing to do that at this stage. Secondly, the 100 mm length of the grommet is probably about 2-3 mm shorter than the length of the hole. The (slightly larger) outside lip covers this gap so you won't see any gap from outside, but it does make it even harder to get the grommet to seat properly.

If I get it in place today, I will post up some pics. My opinion is that it will look a lot neater than just having a hole there. If it works, that is....... Laughing

In my original post on this, I was also searching for grommets for the rear bumper. However, I re-fitted my tow bar last week, and while doing so realised that the holes in the shroud have been widened to allow for the additional thickness of the tow bar bracket to fit through in addition to the bumper bracket, so any solution would need a home made adaption of some kind.

G
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: bumper bracket seal kit Reply with quote

Here's a link to the other thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9406423&highlight=#9406423
G
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: bumper bracket seal kit Reply with quote

OK, having spent all morning working on this in the heat, I don't think 111 707 193 is going to work.
When I tried to push the bumper bars through the grommets, they came unseated. The problem is that the angle of the front valence is quite a lot different to the relatively upright angle of the bumper bar. So if you tilt the grommet to the same angle as the valence, in which it has to seat, the slot in the grommet is too short. By cutting a little bit out of the top and bottom of the grommet "slot", I was able to almost get the grommet to the correct angle.
But then I hit snag #2. The edge of the cut out for bumper bar to go through the front valence is VERY close to the rubber trim piece that fits between the wing and the body work on the inside - once the bumper bars are inserted in the slot and tightened up, there just isn't room for the inside edge of the grommet to fit. I guess one could make up spacers to fit between the bumper bars and the mounting plinth, but for me that is starting to get too complicated for what was initially thought to be a 5 minute job.
Since I already have my rubber grommets, I am going to trim them and see if I can at least get them to butt up neatly against the front valence, and if I can do that, I might just hold them in place with a dab of silicone or something. Hopefully it will look OK - If it doesn't then I will take the grommets off again and leave it all au natural, as VW intended.
I tried..........
Couple of pics to show you what I mean.
This shows the difference in angle between the valence and the bumper bar (green line vs red line)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This shows how close the inside of the cut out is to the rubber body work strip (arrowed) - No room for the grommet

And this one shows the "V" I cut on the inside in the top and bottom of the slot to try to make it slightly longer so I can angle the grommet to match the angle of the valence.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: bumper bracket seal kit Reply with quote

Quote:

Type 34's have them Wink
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: bumper bracket seal kit Reply with quote

Type 3s don't use them because the bumpers are mounted in the fender wells and not the frunk. There's no reason for them.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: bumper bracket seal kit Reply with quote

Type 1 rear bumper brackets are mounted in the fender wells and have them.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: bumper bracket seal kit Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Type 1 rear bumper brackets are mounted in the fender wells and have them.

Would look pretty weird if the front had them (they're needed) and the rear didn't...

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: