Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas heater/Fan booster hose alternative
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Gas heater/Fan booster hose alternative Reply with quote

On my wagon was looking to replicate the original plastic 55mm hoses. Found a good looking solution! StepOK 60mm ID warm heater ducting... found on Amazon. It looks like the original. Fits perfectly for the gas heater. For the booster fan in the engine bay I had to make a fitting modification. I still had my original hoses but I simply cut off the fitting ends to make up a filler to fit the 60mm new hose. If you don’t have the originals, no worry. Just wrap or form tape around the connection to fit the new hose and clamp it just like the originals were. You will have to stretch it out to make the longer runs. I like it.

Bill

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater/Fan booster hose alternative Reply with quote

That looks terrific. I'll probably need that as well. Unfortunately, my mechanic who is rebuilding the engine, has informed me he does not fix the gas heater anymore. He says he stopped 10 years ago because he can not get them working reliably with Canadian gas. I asked him what about Chevron 94 which has no ethanol. He said even that does not work. Just wondering what my options are for fixing the gas heater? Seems a shame to do a restoration and not fix the gas heater while it is all apart.

Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater/Fan booster hose alternative Reply with quote

Walter,
I have no idea on the gas heater performance these days. Maybe someone else can chime in about this. Mine is in great shape but I will go through it while it is out. It will go back in the wagon for sure. The other good thing about this hose is that it replicates the original look where you really see it...in the engine bay when you lift the lid. That’s important to me.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater/Fan booster hose alternative Reply with quote

I can't buy that the gas quality is an issue.

The gas has been all over the planet in the past 40 years and these have always run...leaded...no leaded...86 octane...104 octane....ethanol...methanol.

The only unreliability I can think of that cannot be adjusted for at the fuel pump is corrosion.

Yes...a specific fuel may make more or less heat...causing the dash knob to take more of less of a setting...but outside of that....
Ray
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gas heater/Fan booster hose alternative Reply with quote

I agree with Ray.

As long as there is a fuel and the spark in the chamber, you will get at least 1 bang out of it.

I think the guy just doesn’t want the job.

BR,

Rob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: