Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
addiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
That area you sealed with the expanding foam is behind the sliding door. There is no entrance there from the exterior unless the plastic plugs that plug holes to the rear wheel well have been removed or you have rust through in that area.

The expanding foam is actually known to sometimes enhance rust for it can hold moisture against the metal.

Expanding foam can be a heinious addition to a metal auto body. VW discovered this on VW beetles produced through the 1970's when they used it to seal the rear body pillar from the engine compartment.

Dave

I beg to differ, there is an opening to the rocker panel on both sides of our van, leading towards the front. Marine Foam is closed cell so it is water proof not water resistant like the stuff you buy for around the home. This is a CA van so virtually rust free. Additionally this area is not exposed to the elements, it is totally internal so I am sure it will out live us, it was either that or a Stainless Steel srcubber, I suspect the SS scrubber is more susceptible retaining water and rust than Marine expanding foam.

plus the internal walls are totally filled with Fiberglass like insulation that will retain water way worse than the marine foam, so keeping water out is really all that is critical...

Ours is a Weekender where I have pulled the cabinets out to expand the sleeping area on the lower half.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

So you are saying that the rocker panels on both sides of your Van are open to above the spring shackle?
Where is the opening?

Can you take a photo? I've been all over mine (an 86) and I haven't seen an opening into the rear rocker panel. The main rocker panel under the "kitchen" area and under the sliding door does have holes, some covered with tape, some with rubber plugs and there are drain holes in the bottom, but this area is separated from the rear section by a metal divider where the floor begins over the rockers.

You can literally fill that rear rocker with water if you wanted to. It won't or shouldn't drain forward.

It has been awhile, and memory fades.........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Here's another eureka on foam, stainless steel chore girls stuffed into anywhere.

With a little surface prep.
you could use either without fear of the sheet metal deteriorating.

Blow bedliner into the crevas first, let it cure , then load with whatever you'd like.
It'll never rust.

There is closed cell body cavity foam also available, and will not absorb any moisture.
It isn't the cured foam that will rot panels away to nothing, It's the panels sweating around the foam that will do it.
So a little prep work that will prevent the rusting process.

And, if the critters want through it, they will get through it in short order.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Your Van, do as you wish but VW's foam was closed cell too.
The best line of thought is that while it did not / does not wick or absorb moisture, it held any moisture introduced into the area in place for prolonged periods of time, this contact eventually caused rust to form.

A good article on VW's "Death Foam".

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=437975

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
addiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Dave,

I re read what I wrote, and I will say I am not 100% sure that my opening was factory, as you say memory fads, I realized that was the very spot on this van where it got hit a long time ago. Drivers side. So when it was repainted last year I had the body guy pull the bondo and put in sheet metal. So maybe not a factory hole, I used a flashlight and could see light under in the rocker. So in my Van water would have flowed.

I poked my finder down into the one by the side door and it felt the same so I just gave it the same fix.

There is a lot of foam in there now so no pictures possible at this time

either way, for those looking for holes it is a worthy spot to look into...

As for mice chewing through foam etc... I am sure there is a lot of opportunities for a mouse to find a way in, the trick I am thinking is to make it more work than it is worth. The only food in our van is the peanut butter on the mouse trap, and that is typically the case so there is little reward. I hope that works in our favor.

Today I did stuff some SS scrubber down on both sides of the Auto shifter, and then got under and stuffed some up into the shifter itself. So if a mouse gets in there I will be amazed. My plan is to leave the cover off for a while to be sure what I put in place remains in place.

I will also keep a camera on it until I get video evidence that a mouse tries and fails to get in.

The trap will not be a permanent feature of our van from now on, even though I know they do not always go for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
addiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Your Van, do as you wish but VW's foam was closed cell too.
The best line of thought is that while it did not / does not wick or absorb moisture, it held any moisture introduced into the area in place for prolonged periods of time, this contact eventually caused rust to form.

A good article on VW's "Death Foam".

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=437975

Dave

I guess I am banking on modern technology and that today's products are much better. Marine foam is used in boats for flotation and structure, so pretty sure it will do the job.

If I am lucky enough to report back in 20 years and say the van is rusted out, I will consider myself luck to be alive, and still have a van.... Very Happy
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Found a photo of the drivers side rear rocker panel.
The photo is Looking down into it, you can see the forward panel at the bottom of the photo and the rubber plug towards the rear wheel at the top of the photo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

The 21st century foam by itself will cause no harm but if water is being introduced to the spot the foam is applied ........ well........

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
backyardbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your input. Spent today stuffing stainless steel scrubbies and covering openings with SS screen in my Westy. Would like to add another place to screen off. Even though it is not an entry point to the inside... be sure to screen off the air intake on your Propex or other heater as the intake and exhaust for the firebox are easily a place for the little buggers to invade and cause the heater to fail on a cold night. Happy mouseless camping!! Bob
69 Autocross Bug
68 912
84 Westfalia
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

I really need to do this. We just have not used the westy enough yet to encounter a mouse until this last short trip.

We pulled in here fairly late in the afternoon. Set up camp. Wrapped things up pretty late. The next morning my wife went to get the French Press from under the bench seat and I heard "honey come here" in the tone of something interesting or not good. We had a daypack on top of the rear heater box with a full roll of tp to the side. The tp was almost gone it had been shredded into a huge mouse nest on top of the daypack. I wish I had taken a picture as it was quite impressive. It only had about 8 hours to do it must have been at it as soon as we slept and quit when we were up.

Left everything open that day never saw it. The pain was we had just gone through the whole camper and stocked it up for a Yellowstone trip which did not happen so when we got home EVERYTHING came out and I set a bunch of traps. Left the van open for three days never saw it. Must have bailed back out at camp.
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

theadventureneverends wrote:
We had a daypack on top of the rear heater box with a full roll of tp to the side. The tp was almost gone it had been shredded into a huge mouse nest on top of the daypack. I wish I had taken a picture as it was quite impressive. It only had about 8 hours to do it must have been at it as soon as we slept and quit when we were up.

It pains me that they go through all that trouble for nothing...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

theadventureneverends wrote:
I really need to do this. We just have not used the westy enough yet to encounter a mouse until this last short trip.

We pulled in here fairly late in the afternoon. Set up camp. Wrapped things up pretty late. The next morning my wife went to get the French Press from under the bench seat and I heard "honey come here" in the tone of something interesting or not good. We had a daypack on top of the rear heater box with a full roll of tp to the side. The tp was almost gone it had been shredded into a huge mouse nest on top of the daypack. I wish I had taken a picture as it was quite impressive. It only had about 8 hours to do it must have been at it as soon as we slept and quit when we were up.

Left everything open that day never saw it. The pain was we had just gone through the whole camper and stocked it up for a Yellowstone trip which did not happen so when we got home EVERYTHING came out and I set a bunch of traps. Left the van open for three days never saw it. Must have bailed back out at camp.

Very nice camping spot! Sorry to hear about your unwanted guest.
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Just did this.

PVC tubing. Don't know exact size, 1/2"? Just what I had on hand.

Took a few minutes and was easy to do. Slid into upper opening, and used zip ties to keep in place at bottom. Makes pretty good seal.

beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Just came across this cool looking kit!

https://defunk3d.com/product/mouse-proofing-kit/
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

I've searched this thread but haven't seen these holes addressed.

I have these holes in the inside of the driver's side rocker panel, just above the propane tank. There are four slots, three about the same size and one that's quite a bit longer.

How should I plug these?

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

They are just in the frame, unless you are severely rusted above, there is no entrance into the body.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
They are just in the frame, unless you are severely rusted above, there is no entrance into the body.

Dave

It is a very good idea to get an extension wand to spray a preventive oil spray the full length of those spaces to ward off rust and also to keep the smaller holes clear for proper drainage.
If yiu live in the northeast I'd spray and use rubber plugs to seal the holes so salty highway spray cannot get in during the winter. This spraying should be a seasonal ritual.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Well guess what Dave? I am severely rusted above, so on my van there is access. Should I put steel wool in there?

djkeev wrote:

Dave

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

bajaleo wrote:
there is access

If you can't block the rust-access holes then block those drain holes.
Kinda looks like peices of stainless-steel-scrubbie would stay in those holes.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

bajaleo wrote:
Well guess what Dave? I am severely rusted above, so on my van there is access. Should I put steel wool in there?

Mine is rusted through behind the fridge too. I pulled the fridge and cleaned it up as best I could. Then I stuffed stainless scrubbies into the rust holes in what was the floor before it was a hole. It "breathes" a bit more than I'd like it too. As in, cool breeze flowing in under the fridge/floor grillette. But, mice have not gotten in since I did that. An afterthought was that I should have gotten a chunk of metal, or wood carved to slip in and hold down the scrubbies. No doubt I will have the fridge out soon enough again tho.

I hope to pull the interior and do the real fix sometime soon. All sheet metal on hand for it already, just really hard to pull the trigger when its (usually) my daily driver.

And here is why I will be pulling my fridge soon... DanHoug has a great writeup...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9445702

DanHoug wrote:

then, because it is so dang fast and cheap to do, made a wrap of aluminum foil to add an IR reflective layer.

the results are great. NO vent drip, yes the vent cover is hot now, no the rubber isn't melting. reduced interior temps behind fridge, the fan cycles less. i'm happy.
[/url]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: