Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15'' tire options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zonxs7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I just wanted to follow up:

I asked about tires a while back, and ended up with these Radar Renegade A/T 5 205/70R15XL 100H purchased via Simple Tire. They're pretty reasonably priced.

I've only driven a few hundred miles on them, but, for my 1.9, I can't believe the difference in performance and handling over the old BFG 215/75's that the PO had installed. Much better pickup, better handling in wind, less downshifting, and MUCH quieter than the old set. Best thing I've done for my van since buying it...

Other than fixing the frayed ignition wire that was arcing to the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel leak, the vacuum lines, the alternator, the coolant pipes...sigh. Smile

Hope that this helps someone from going down the same 15" tire rabbit hole that I did.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

zonxs7 wrote:

I asked about tires a while back, and ended up with these Radar Renegade A/T 5 205/70R15XL 100H purchased via Simple Tire. They're pretty reasonably priced.

I've only driven a few hundred miles on them, but, for my 1.9, I can't believe the difference in performance and handling over the old BFG 215/75's that the PO had installed. Much better pickup, better handling in wind, less downshifting, and MUCH quieter than the old set. Best thing I've done for my van since buying it...

Other than fixing the frayed ignition wire that was arcing to the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel leak, the vacuum lines, the alternator, the coolant pipes...sigh. Smile

Hope that this helps someone from going down the same 15" tire rabbit hole that I did.

Thank you for the feedback! Appreciated.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Seriously looking at these:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 - Size: 215/70R15

Load range 98
Max psi 51

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...ngsReviews

They are only about 2% taller than a 205/70/15.

Does anyone have anything I should consider when thinking of these?

I just checked the Yokohama European network and they carry the Geolandar A/T G015 in Europe. Since these are going on the euroBus that seals the deal for me.

The Western Syncro build
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

That A/T5 tire looks to be all gone in that size.
Maybe it will return?

I may try this other model instead. Very stout specs but without the snowflake rating.
Anyone using it yet?

https://simpletire.com/brands/radar-tires/argonite-rvx-1#v=1&tireSize=205-70r15&mpn=acd0057

Mark

zonxs7 wrote:

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

that Argonite RVX-1 205/70/15 looks like a nice tire
LR 104 (D rated) @ 2094#s

crazyvwvanman wrote:

I may try this other model instead. Very stout specs but without the snowflake rating.
Anyone using it yet?

https://simpletire.com/brands/radar-tires/argonite-rvx-1#v=1&tireSize=205-70r15&mpn=acd0057

Mark

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Wondering what the feedback is on the renegades are after a few months use? Needing new tires for light AT use this go around. Those look like they may fit in my clamshell. Not sure if the Geolanders in 215 will.
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I got my new tires mounted on Saturday.

General Grabber ATX, 215/75/15.

Too early first impressions:

--You can really see how f*cked up my paint is in these pictures.

--They're narrower than the 225/70/15's they replaced so my sliding door doesn't rub the back tire when I open it; that's a plus.

--While confirmation bias is in play here, these are just better tires than the Coopers they replaced. The sidewalls are stiffer but the tread seems softer if that's possible. The van is more stable in wind (tested at 70 MPH on I-70 in a 30 MPH cross wind.) Much easier to control.

--No difference in road noise; both these and the Coopers are quieter than my old BFG's and not as quiet as Geolandars.

--The van doesn't dip or lean nearly as much in corners, again I think due to the sidewalls.

--We got some thick, wet, slushy snow on Saturday night, so yesterday morning I went out and slid around in it a bit. About equal to the Coopers as far as snow and ice grip goes.

--They look cool.

I'm going over the mountains through a forecasted snowstorm early Wednesday morning then out to the desert for the rest of the week. I'll have some real world experience very soon.

So, it's been eight months since I got these tires. The first trip I took with them to Southern Utah, they were splendid. Ever since then, not so much.

They were out-of-round, vibrating, at around 65-70 MPH last spring. I thought I'd dropped a weight and had them re-balanced; they were good for a few weeks then shimmy shimmy.

I got them balanced just before this trip and they're still not right. All suspension bushings are near-new, T3 sway bar, new front CV's, etc., so I don't think it's a suspension or drivetrain issue.

The sidewalls on my Cooper Discoverers were cracking, which is not ideal and prompted the change, but I didn't have any of the highway speed shakiness or with those.

And while they're outstanding off road, they've gotten progressively louder on the highway.

The reviews I partially based my purchase on were of newer trucks/SUV's running these tires; I wonder if Vanagons are just more sensitive to noise and balance due to lack of refinement?

I kind of wish I'd gone with Yoko Geolandars in 225/70/15.

The Grabbers do still look cool, though. Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alinghi12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I went with the YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR A/T G015 SL in a 215/70R 98H 15 config on my SA Wheels. They were not my first choice however it was really the only tire option in my area for at least a month. I ended up adding 3mm wheel spacers to the front due to some clearance issues I found. The ride is night and day from my previous Nokians that were on there however those were pretty toast when I got the van.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Mazama Open Range A/T from Les Schwab? Thinking about trying these out on my van 215 75 15. Apparently you can try them for 60 days and return them if they don't work for you.
Vanspeeder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

NICE! I have these same on our 85

Crooked Designer wrote:
Finally getting around to posting pics.

Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 205/65-R15's on GW 15" alloy wheels (ASA Type Cool. Haven't put many miles on them, but all good so far. Trip to Boundary Waters coming up, so I'll report back on the drive / handling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I posted this in another thread, but here's the GoWesty 15 inch S.A. copies with their kit allowing use of the factory hub caps. Tires are 215-75-15 BF Goodrich AT/TA

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Icebox500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
I posted this in another thread, but here's the GoWesty 15 inch S.A. copies with their kit allowing use of the factory hub caps. Tires are 215-75-15 BF Goodrich AT/TA

I’m replacing my 16x7.5 GW ASA wheel and tire combo. They came on the van, they are a clearance nightmare. Banged up the fender lips immediately on first drive.

Your combo, any clearance issues?

I’m in a standard height (for now) 2WD ‘87 Westy with new shocks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Icebox500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

How do you like the KO2s? Do they rub or hit the wheel/fender well at all? I have them on my F150 and am very happy and looking for a new 15” tire to put on a new set of rims for my 87 Westy.

I want a reasonably aggressive tread for dirt and snow… and the look…

smeeegheeead wrote:
Partial vent partial WTF I guess......

Just started a new project that's at 86'. Picked up 15'' steelies and General Grabber AT-X for it. When I went to a local Discount Tire to have them mounted, the tech said that they were not a high enough load rating for the van. Ended up buying KO2 which would have been my first choice were I able to find them.

So now I see certainly the AT-X are fine. WTF??? What do you do in this case? I'm stuck with a set of AT-X that I'll lose $120 if I have to ship them back and the KO2 were about $150 more. Seems like a hose job.

**** Edit- This is totally my own fault... I bought ATX SL. So per the manager I just talked to, the standard load is a light truck tire etc. Totally F'd that one up.
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Icebox500 wrote:
How do you like the KO2s? Do they rub or hit the wheel/fender well at all? I have them on my F150 and am very happy and looking for a new 15” tire to put on a new set of rims for my 87 Westy.

I want a reasonably aggressive tread for dirt and snow… and the look…

smeeegheeead wrote:
Partial vent partial WTF I guess......

Just started a new project that's at 86'. Picked up 15'' steelies and General Grabber AT-X for it. When I went to a local Discount Tire to have them mounted, the tech said that they were not a high enough load rating for the van. Ended up buying KO2 which would have been my first choice were I able to find them.

So now I see certainly the AT-X are fine. WTF??? What do you do in this case? I'm stuck with a set of AT-X that I'll lose $120 if I have to ship them back and the KO2 were about $150 more. Seems like a hose job.

**** Edit- This is totally my own fault... I bought ATX SL. So per the manager I just talked to, the standard load is a light truck tire etc. Totally F'd that one up.
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
I really like them! I actually just sold the Vanagon about a month ago so they went along with it. I was thinking of putting them on my 77 Westfalia but I'm not sure I want to go for that look on my bus. I really love them, I've always been a fan and I'm irritated they don't make them in a 14-inch size anymore. I had absolutely no rubbing at all however mine is an 83 and definitely sits higher than some of the later models
Icebox500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Thanks!!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I have them on my '87 Westy. Love them.

But I can get rubbing from the front right if turning and compressing the suspension like going onto a steep driveway ramp. But this only happens rarely and overall I am very happy.

The Western Syncro build
Icebox500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

But I can get rubbing from the front right if turning and compressing the suspension like going onto a steep driveway ramp. But this only happens rarely and overall I am very happy.

Thanks! I am looking to do the same combo on my 87 as soon as next week. May go lift kit as well eventually, that should kill any leftover rubbing.

mostly I need to get into a narrower slightly smaller diameter tire for less rubbing and no more hitting the lip of the fender well.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

They get noisy after 15K miles or so. Best when fresh.
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Just put a 2nd set of Nokian Nordman 7 SUV 205/70R15 tires on the camper. Had the 1st set on for 8 years and though they still had good tread, they were starting to look old and dry. They are rated XL with a load range of 1764 lbs, max speed 118 and max inflation 51 psi with a winter tread design. I wanted to stay with the 205/70 XL tires in that size and my search yielded few results. Did not want to go with 215's or larger as I thought they would cause clearance issues with the frt suspension.

Tom
87 Syncro GL
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Regarding: BFGOODRICH® ALL-TERRAIN T/A® KO2 215/75R15
dobryan wrote:

I get a seldom "zzzzziiiiipppp" on the Tintop on driveway ramps but never on the Westy. Confused Confused

Californio wrote:
They get noisy after 15K miles or so. Best when fresh.

That's been my experience too.
But I also had cupping, for some reason (alignment?) and perhaps that's the noise of cupping.
Other than that I like the ride.

===================================
FROM BFG WEBSITE: BFGOODRICH® ALL-TERRAIN T/A® KO2 215/75R15 100S RBL

Mileage Warranty 50,000
Rim Width 8.5" on 6.0"
Overall Diameter 27.7(in)
Max Load, Single (lbs@psi) 1765lbs @ 50psi ----> (5500 lbs/4= 1,375 lbs)
Revs/MI 751
Tire Weight 34.3 lbs
Rim Width Range 5.5-7.0
Tread Depth 15/32
Specifications 3PMSF M+S
=====================================
215/75R15 KO2s are LOAD RANGE C

Does anyone know of a 215/75R15 that has heavier sidewalls?
......for a guy who drives fast on rocky roads?
And how much rougher does heavier sidewalls "ride" on the highway?
I confess I like the ride of the "Load range C".

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: