Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Column Advise
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
61Boondocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

I have a really nice GT style steering wheel with a 5 bolt pattern I'd like to put on the car. Problem is I cant find an adapter that will work. And I swear I've been looking for like 10 years so I'm pretty much done trying to fit adapters. I believe I have the stock 1961 VW Steering box and column with the 3 bolt pattern. With all the totally custom sand rails out there, there have to be steering columns that bolt right up to the VW box and are already set up for 5 bolt patterns...or one would think. I can't be the first person to tackle this. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
And for the record nothing on the existing column is in play. E.G. turns signals are on a 3 position switch on the dash so while that might be nice to have on the column, its not a must have.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

VW never used a 3 bolt pattern. All steering wheels where spline and held on with a single nut (3 different choices depending on year, I think.) That would explain your difficulty finding a working adapter. You most likely have a shaft with the typical Grant (aftermarket steering wheel maker) 3 bolt steering wheel pattern. It is a common thing to see in off-road buggies.
ptreichl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

Here's one: https://www.jbugs.com/product/79-4018.html?utm_con...4524308511
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

A simple metal disc with both patterns drilled? If you already have the column spline to 3-bolt adapter, you're 90% the way there.
If your wheel matches the Grant PCD pattern:
http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/steering-wheel-bolt-patterns.html
I believe Grant makes the 3-5 bolt adapter.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

I used a GRANT adapter and wheel.... Grant used to make a splined adapter for VW that accepted their 5 bolt wheels....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
61Boondocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

Thank you ALL. I swear I've looked every where for adapters and found ones similar to the the one ptreichl linked too. But that one looks like exactly what I need. But they've all been just slightly off. So now I'm wondering if maybe the Wheel I have is a Grant Knock off and that's why nothing fits it. It goes back to that Cheapest part you buy is the most expensive part you have thang!
Since as VWs go, I've only ever owned the buggy, I didn't know that the 3 hole thing was NOT VW standard, but it makes sense and yes I see that 3 hole thing on all kinds of off road stuff so I just assumed....and we all know what that leads too. Thanks again guys I should be able to have this sorted by the weekend (probably just jinxed myself)
61Boondocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

OK I'm at it again. I found TONS of suitable adapters....But why go 3 hole to 5 hole when I could just go VW to 5 hole? So lets do this "right" and open every can of worms we can.
Many moons ago the turn signal switch was moved to a 3 position toggle on the dash. The lever on the column, Yeah, we don't need that, just it cut off.
Since I'm messing with steering wheels and what not, I might as well get down and dirty and make it all right again. Right? Easy enough.....If you know what you have. Problem is, I'm not sure what I have. The car sits on a 61 Beetle Chassis. Or should I say, the registration says its a 61 Beetle Sedan (which if I read correct would be wrong, if 61 shouldn't it be a Bug?). What it actually is I'm not sure. I've never verified the Vin on the paperwork matches the car. So I suppose that's the next job. But back to the column. Seems everyone has turn signal switches. Unless your looking for a 61. You'll find everything around that year, but that year seems to be elusive.
But then looking at what was on there.... Looks like I had one for a 66-67. I took pictures of everything (see below). And while I'm in there I might as well make everything I can new again. So any advise on rebuilding the column is very much welcome.
Currently, The wheel isn't real sloppy. up down or side to side. It is a little but not bad. So I'm thinking the bearing is in pretty good shape. Assuming it has one. This column doesn't look like anything I've seen on YouTube... Yet. The steering itself has more play than I'd like. I suspect this means the steering box either needs some love or replacement. And of course I might as well replace all the rubber pieces while I'm there.

The big question is. Can anyone tell what year the steering column is from the picture? Does it really matter? I suspect it might be in the case of replacing the spring at associated parts. But maybe I can get away with a 66-67 turn signal switch? Remember, this is a bit of a Resto-Mod so I'm totally willing to bend the rules if necessary.

What say you mighty wise gear heads?

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

I would get a 3 wire VW turn signal like this (there are many alternatives including the Samba classifieds):

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D141%2D953%2D517%2DC

Wiring is super simple with just 3 wires.

While you are at it check to see if the bottom end of your column has a small electrical tab on it so you can wire the horn the right way instead of some cheezy button on the dash.
61Boondocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

So these Turn signal switches are pretty much universal then?
Year doesn't really mater unless you're trying to restore something exact? Because truth is, I could care less what year it is. I just want to put the turn signals back on the column....and yes the horn too if I can fish a wire down the center.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

Well the ones that look similar are. Some has the hi/lo beam on the stalk. You'd need a relay for that and its not as simple as VWs tried and true foot switch.

The 3 wire is simple power in and one wire for the right and one for the left. It is held in place with that set screw.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

Turn signal switches from '60 through '67 will fit on your column and work. Your original switch was a 6 wire switch for snowflake tail lights so it was '60 or '61. Your steering column is '60 through '67. The first 2 years have some differences in the horn circuit but if you are running a non-stock steering wheel they can be used interchangeably. If it is an older one you would have to run the wire down the center and may have to remove an insulating washer between the spring and clip (if it hasn't disintegrated on its own.)
61Boondocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

Thanks EV. That's exactly what I was looking for. Since I've already opened the can I figure while I'm at it I'll just pull the entire column out of the car, sand and paint it and replace any parts I can.

I think I need this kit?
https://www.jbugs.com/product/113415585A.html?rrec=true

I'll replace the rubber coupling and clean up and replace as needed the parts at the bottom too... And maybe even the nuts and bolts cause I'm anal like that.

Then re-evaluate if I need to get into the steering box.

I've found that as I get involved with each thing i want to fix or modify its best to just restore as I go....because why go back and touch it twice if I don't have too.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

Rarely are new bearings needed. If you clean it up you can see how it feels. There is not much speed or load there so the VW ball bearing set up was almost overkill. Oh, and if you do have a '60-'61 column I think that is a different bearing.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

Hooking up a horn to the steering wheel using a VW column is super easy.

It can be done regardless of the bearing, and in fact the non-insulated ones are the best.

I'd be happy to walk it through for you when you are ready
61Boondocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Advise Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll update once I pull it out this weekend.

Laughing That didn't sound right did it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: