Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1999 Brazilian T2 (UK Danbury) Possible asbestos locations
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leemundo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: 1999 Brazilian T2 (UK Danbury) Possible asbestos locations Reply with quote

Hi there,
I'm in the process of trying to import my Brazilian/Danbury from the UK to Australia and need to address any asbestos in the vehicle. I've seen posts about it being located in the heat exchanger collars. Does anyone know if that would still be applicable to a '99 build? To confuse things it now has an early 70s AD engine in it (previous owner).

Apart from brakes, clutch, manifold gasket, is there anywhere else that I need to check?
Many thanks in advance.
Lee
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1999 Brazilian T2 (UK Danbury) Possible asbestos locations Reply with quote

Exhaust/Heat Exchanger to Head gaskets.
Exaust to Heat Exchanger and Tailpipe to Exhaust gaskets.
Heat Riser to Rear Engine Tin gaskets.
Cladding of Air Intake Pre-Heat Pipe (aka Stovepipe).
Heat Exchanger to Body "Accordian Tubes".

The above would apply to a stock AD engine.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1999 Brazilian T2 (UK Danbury) Possible asbestos locations Reply with quote

Funny the Ozzy's care since most of the worlds asbestos is mined there.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1999 Brazilian T2 (UK Danbury) Possible asbestos locations Reply with quote

I don't think there is any asbestos in a 99 model unless someone got a sheet of it and made their own gaskets and it hasn't been used in brakes since the late 70's that's why they absorb water vapor and swell up and drag when you first start off in the morning. Garlock makes asbestos replacement gasket material and you can hold an oxy./acc. torch to it and it just glows white but doesn't burn.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1999 Brazilian T2 (UK Danbury) Possible asbestos locations Reply with quote

The collars to the accordion tubes of an old beetle engine had asbestos in them. I am pretty sure there are silicone replacements if you have such.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1999 Brazilian T2 (UK Danbury) Possible asbestos locations Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
I don't think there is any asbestos in a 99 model unless someone got a sheet of it and made their own gaskets and it hasn't been used in brakes since the late 70's that's why they absorb water vapor and swell up and drag when you first start off in the morning. Garlock makes asbestos replacement gasket material and you can hold an oxy./acc. torch to it and it just glows white but doesn't burn.

In the US, other countries not so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1999 Brazilian T2 (UK Danbury) Possible asbestos locations Reply with quote

I think I remember reading about Ben and Leah dealing with the asbestos issue with their bus. Unfortunately after searching The Samba, I couldn't find the topic.
You may consider messaging Ben for additional info.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Leemundo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1999 Brazilian T2 (UK Danbury) Possible asbestos locations Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Something not helping is being 10,000 miles away from the vehicle. I've had family have a look at her and it looks like she doesn't have any heat exchangers (has an Eberspacher heater). Still plenty of viable gaskets though I guess (including the dodgy white one in the pic).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The exhaust is ok but not great so might think about replacing in the UK if the parts are more accessible/cheaper. I will probably get an asbestos inspection so that can double check the brakes and gaskets. The engine was installed in 2012 so you'd expect non-asbestos gaskets were used then. I think I might have come across the Ben/Leah post in the past so will find it again.

Thanks again
Lee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: