Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cam thrust bearing came with a tang.... but does not need it. I ground it off. As you can see the upper portion of the picture is the saddle where the bearing goes and the bearing below with the tang.... NO NOTCH.

old removed, dark bearing next to the new one.

Right half. no thrust bearing, all have tangs.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Crank and cam gears are indexed.

case halves are bolted up. Used all new hardware from Type4store.com

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
a month later....
<snip>
While I waited, I cleaned and tested the wiper motor and bought all the goodies for the wiper arm shafts and some used arms for $12 each. Buy the way, this black cap requires some drilling. I could not get it onto the shaft. And as you can see, it does not fully seat over the nut. Oh well...

I think the problem here is that your nuts are too fat. IIRC, they should be thinner, and that will also allow the plastic cover to completely cover them.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Meant to include some pix of the thrust bearing fix.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I have purchased and installed a new distributor. A petronix flamethrower 3. The 3 module is the most up to date. Big feature is it won’t burn up if you leave the key on.

Aircooled.net was helpful in the purchase and some issues after i got it. They recommended for me to disassemble the unit. Clean is and polish where the two plates touch. Lube and re assemble.

What i found was the lobes touched the module. The seller and petronix said not to sorry. But i did. So I had slightly bend the tab that holds the plate. When the screw is tightened the plate moves just a bit and pulls the module away from the shaft. Smooth spinning now.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Gettin there. These are Camper Specials from the type four store by HAM. He recommended the copper spray seal. Spray on within ten minutes of installation.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Tranz is in. Word is it might be easier to assemble the engine and the tranz, then install. Like most things on these cars, I have to do them 2 or 3 times, so why should engine install be different.... If it happens, it happens. For now it is in the bus.

Tranz guy may have mentioned it, but I don't remember. My case and bell housing were swiss cheese. He got me replacements. Cool thing is the bell housing is a late one. I noticed the throw out lever etc.... were different when I was looking to install the bearing. Turns out the clutch kit came with a TO bearing and it is the one I now need. Yee Haw.

ALL the cooling tins are installed. Found a heat shield that was in decent shape. Slatered it with some high temp paint, maybe it will last another 45 years.

Muffler as a whole was good. But the mounting holes and tail pipe bracket were super rusty.

But I got the broken studs out, added a few thread sleeves, and bought SS hardware.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

If you remember, I got an engine hatch and welded it in. Yesterday, I trimmed up the insulation and the plates that hold it in. It fit nicely. I added a few tek screws and it is holding. I put a thin layer of B-Quiet on before I put the 45 year old insulation back. You can see thru the hatch to the roof, it has B-Quiet sheets on it too. Complete coverage is not required. It is a thick tar material that will absorb the vibrations of the metal panels. Gonna stick some in the doors and the side panels too.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Still drag-assin' around. You would think that "working from home" would give you more free time. But damn, I end up working 10-12 hours and then I am not motivated to do BUS work.

Anyway, Put some loaner Weber 40s on the engine and learned a bit about setting them up. 1. Clean them up. And set up the adjustment screws. 2. Get the engine started. 3. take the linkage off, and compare how it runs. The linkage is critical.

I did all that it worked great. Still don' t have the linkage set, but screw-up. Time to buy my own carbs.

So the Cam has been broken in, Timing has been set. All this took about 1.5 gallons of gas.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

OIL PRESSURE build up.....

Link

On this video, I have already set the carbs and attempted to set the linkage ( not such a good result). Set the timing, double checked the T-stat. Fixed an oil leak found during Cam Break-in. Re-checked the valve clearances on the Chromoly push-rods. Coated the cork valve cover gaskets with K2. I ran the tank out of gas.... and saw no oil leaks! I am calling this done!

Link
[youtube]
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Looks and sounds great. Congrats!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

THis pic is the connection for the Aux Heat Fan Relay, which I do not have.... The fan or the relay.

Wiring has been cleaned up. I removed the TEST plug and some of the wires. The ones I did not remove, I used shrink wrap and taped them up. The Bentley included all the connections. There is a small legend in the bottom right corner that explains the colors and on the diagram there are RED numbered circles that correspond to the landing place on the test plug. So all that was carefully removed.

Purchased a new fuel tank and sender and I cleaned up the mounting bay for the tank, so I am about ready to install the tank and connect all the hoses, etc...
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Bentley wiring daigram shows a BLUE wire coming from D+ of the Voltage Regulator connector. My Alt harness did not have that, so I had to splice in a single BLUE wire to connect to the double BLUE wire connector, just near the battery, slightly under the fuel tank.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Be careful out there. Insulation questions are on par with OIL questions... So, I have added patches of B-QUIET throughout. It is supposed to keep the noise down.

Then in the wall cavities and the roof, I added 1/2" Rmax. The smaller areas I had to use 3M spray glue, but for the roof the arch shape and tension is holding it all in. I did a test to see if the RMAX would absorb water... It does not. But there is still the possibility of condensation that can lead to rust. Just don't leave the bus out for long periods in the winter.

I also brought the 75 passenger door up from storage and started removing the hinges.... Wow that was not easy. But the 72 hinge and pin are different from the 75. So I bought a hinge kit that has bushings that allow you to use a 75 door on a 72 bus. Now that I have all the hinges off, I will see if that is true.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Passenger door Cleaned and primed. even painted white portions with Acrylic Urethane, Winter White. Foam roller application. I used the GREEN version of Eastwood interior channel sealer. Good stuff. Careful what you get the over-spray on, because it will NOT come off. I mean NEVER. I have gotten it on glass, vinyl, paint, the floor, my hands....

Last edited by malcolm2 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Foam roller application of Winter White. Not real happy with this. Not sure if shaking the paint caused it, or the foam roller. But there are lots of tiny bubbles. As well as tiny orange peel. Oh well, it is a driver and it will look good from 20 feet. Couple more coats and sanding, and then I will consider using clear and see what happens. It is all one big test.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

YES, the most observant will notice that the rear 1/4 or so of the roof is dented. I did my best with few if any tools and pretty much gave up. I got the rain gutters pretty much straightened out, but the dents in the rear are just gonna add character.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Kinda cold to paint any the past few weeks, so I moved on to stripping the front seats. Converted the rust, Cleaned, primed and painted them. Just rustoleum rattle can. The top pads fell to pieces and a couple of the sharp points broke off. But I found the top pads, some replacement points and some spray glue at SEWFINE, for about $200 total. More to come on that.

I was careful removing the horsehair pads, just in case someone would want them. Is there anyone out there that would want authentic horse hair pads for a 72 bus seat?? Say the word and I will ship them to you.... you pay shipping.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I mentioned it before, but I had planned to rattle can spray this bus. But it is so big that the color did not stay consistent from can to can. So now I am trying to use foam rollers... it will be a good looking 20 footer when I am done.

Here is my 1st attempt at color. It did the same as the winter white. It had thousands of tiny bubbles. Most rolled out as the roller had less and less paint on it, but it also left small scale orange peel. Decent, but no as good as I had hoped. gonna go with high grit wet sanding and a couple more coats, then consider adding clear to see if that improves the look. The test goes on.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Here is another 1/2 ass-ed usage (or non-repair). Returning a rusty part back to service. The drivers door is in much better shape than the passenger door. So I decided I would Clean it up, POR-15 it and use it. Not gonna try to patch it. This area would be way over my skills to attempt a patch. I figured a clean, non-rusty hole was better than a crappy ill-fitting patch.

So here is what I started with on the outside.... well the inside part of the bus.

And a shot of the inner channel of the drivers door...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: