Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery Isolator in a Subaru Conversion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Battery Isolator in a Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

I know this subject has been gone over time and time again , but in a subie conversion can I just use a Sure Power battery isolator ? Just coming off the post on the alternator and splitting to each battery ?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Isolator in a Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

There should be no difference in how you set up an aux battery charging system just because it is a subaru vs wbx engine.

All the normal methods will work fine. (At least they always have on mine. Caveat, I have never used the 'blue' wire to trigger a relay for charging, that may be different, I do not know.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Isolator in a Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

If you mean one of their old school diode based isolators then NO, that isn't the way to go.

You can use one of their relay based ACR products or an ACR type from many other brands. I'm partial to the 1314A but other models do mostly the same thing.

Since your van had the factory aux battery relay the wiring needed for an ACR is already there under the driver seat. Depending on the size of the battery and how deep you will draw it down this may need some improvements.

EDIT:::
Here is a basic ACR for such a job.
Compact and suitable for wiring of a reasonable size, like the factory aux battery setups have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victron-Combiner-12-24V-1...741930177?

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Cyrix-ct-24V-Batter...ix+battery

Mark

hansie wrote:
I know this subject has been gone over time and time again , but in a subie conversion can I just use a Sure Power battery isolator ? Just coming off the post on the alternator and splitting to each battery ?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Isolator in a Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

By the way, Subaru conversions do have issues with various existing aux battery setups.
I have helped many people with this after their Subaru conversions.
This is due to differences from the Bosch alternators that VW originally fitted to Vanagons.
Use of an ACR relay type product avoids the issues that otherwise can arise.

Mark
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Isolator in a Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

^^^^

yes the subaru alternator will trip the relay and charge ok, but the battery light may be lit if wired like it would be for a bosch alt.

i have a photo of a "cheat sheet" someone sent me, it may have been from smallcar's install (not sure) but it outlines what to do.

message me and i can email it to you if you want it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Isolator in a Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and replies. I just made my order Mark and thanks Donny for the help.
Karl
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Isolator in a Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Many people who already had an aux battery setup and then convert to Subaru need to change something to get the aux battery to charge with the Subaru.

The ACR (automatic charging relay) is a common answer for Subaru conversions that want an aux battery.

An ACR needs 3 wires to charge the aux battery from the alternator.

1. it must have a ground connection (usually a small short wire to a nearby screw)
2. it must have a connection to the aux battery positive (heavy enough gauge to safely carry the expected amps)
3. it must have a connection to alternator power, usually at the starting battery positive (heavy enough gauge to safely carry the expected amps)

Since the alternator uses the van chassis ground as part of it's charging path any battery to be charged by it needs to have a negative chassis connection (heavy enough gauge to safely carry the expected amps)

Mark
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Isolator in a Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

i've emailed a few folks the wiring instructions to do this.

if anyone else needs it, PM me with your EMAIL ADDRESS

i have messaged back with a few people that didn't supply any email info, so there are like 2 or 3 that asked and i never heard back.

the subaru alternator will close the relay for the batteries but the charging light stays lit. it will charge, but the light stays on. this wiring (which i forget from the top of my head) will solve that. i always have to go back an look. i simply don't do enough aux battery stuff to even try and remember it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Isolator in a Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

It isn't true that the Subaru alternator will always close the relay that the Bosch alternator could. Some relays need more.

The "solution" given in those instructions is a weak one for aux battery relay control purposes, IMHO.
Moving the relay blue control wire to the "X" circuit is preferred, NOT to the 15 circuit.

Mark

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i've emailed a few folks the wiring instructions to do this.

if anyone else needs it, PM me with your EMAIL ADDRESS

i have messaged back with a few people that didn't supply any email info, so there are like 2 or 3 that asked and i never heard back.

the subaru alternator will close the relay for the batteries but the charging light stays lit. it will charge, but the light stays on. this wiring (which i forget from the top of my head) will solve that. i always have to go back an look. i simply don't do enough aux battery stuff to even try and remember it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: