Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

Hi All,

It was suggested on another post on engine rebuilding that I use the chassis engine VIN checker here on thesamba to see my the car and engine matched.

Using the checker, my 1965 1200 has a manufacture date of October, 1964. The engine code puts the engine near the end of production for September, 1964.

Does that mean they are matching? The engine looks 'older' than the car by a few weeks.

Much thanks
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

Yes that is matching.That's not unusual in fact it would be totally normal that the body and engine are not made at the same time.

Engines would be manufactured before the body is assembled for the obvious reason. You'd need to have a pool of engines and other components pre-manufactured before assembly because once you run out of something important, then the production line stops!

Back in the day, all of the scheduling would have been done manually and with pen and paper (or stock cards) etc. These days with Just-in-time scheduling using computers they can get much closer.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

It certainly shows that the engine was produced near in time to the car.

You have no way of knowing if it is the original engine however unless you send your chassis number and engine number to the VW Museum in Wolfsburg to have them check the production records. They can tell you, if you provide an engine number, if that engine number is the one that the car left the factory with.

In my book "numbers matching" means the engine is the original one that came with the car.

Right now you don't have anything solid, but the fact that your engine number matches production from right before your car was built, that's a good sign.
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses. It’s close enough to make me happy. It was clear that the transmission hadn’t ever been out before so it all looks good.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

If it's a couple weeks apart and the engine is the end of one month and the car is near the beginning of the next month then:
I would say Yes.

I have seen cars that are known to be matching cross the month-change boundary like that in the past.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

If it helps, my '65 is a documented numbers matching car. VIN is 115196240 and engine is 9003779. The car build date was 10/15/64 and the engine number looks to be early October (last September engine was 8968669).
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

My '68 Euro which has been in the family since new with original engine has an engine built in Mid January '68 and the VIN number third week of Feb 1968.

I think weeks even a month apart is not unusual.
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

Now one question comes to my head:

Body and chassis numbers, are supposed to exactly match? can these two be closely apart as the authors question regarding engine and VIN number?

Nice rides and stay safe!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

leowagen wrote:

Body and chassis numbers, are supposed to exactly match? can these two be closely apart as the authors question regarding engine and VIN number?

Yes there is only one number and it is the chassis number. It is engraved on the pan under the rear seat and it is stamped on a plate affixed to the body. These are ALWAYS the same.

If it is different, there has been a body / pan swap at some point in the car's history.
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

Great info. Very Happy Thank you all for your help and input.
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
leowagen wrote:

Yes there is only one number and it is the chassis number. It is engraved on the pan under the rear seat and it is stamped on a plate affixed to the body. These are ALWAYS the same.

If it is different, there has been a body / pan swap at some point in the car's history.

I guess I didn't explain myself properly. Chassis engraved number in the tunnel, and riveted plate in front end must be the same, I totally agree on this. But, talking about early beetles with a stamped body number where brake fluid tank is, near to where the plate is riveted. This stamped body number must math the chassis number?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

You mean a number like this? These are common body numbers on cars. They will indicate maybe a coded date number on when the body was made but this number will NOT match the VIN or plate number. Mine is a spot welded plate. Earlier ones may be stamped.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

Here is another one for a locally Australian produced CKD body number. Hence the A.
I have seen somewhere here on SAMBA an explanation of the what the number means. I can't exactly remember but it had some sort of code of sequential number, day and week number. I think.

Edit: Of course I think the 114 is the model type. (RHD -Deluxe?).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine and car 'numbers matching'? Reply with quote

leowagen wrote:
[
I guess I didn't explain myself properly. Chassis engraved number in the tunnel, and riveted plate in front end must be the same, I totally agree on this. But, talking about early beetles with a stamped body number where brake fluid tank is, near to where the plate is riveted. This stamped body number must math the chassis number?

No that's a whole different thing Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: