Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Living with Gout. It is painful!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
One of my former managers has gout. He also has diabetes and is seriously overweight and out of shape. Added to this he is a total asshole. A grabbing, selfish, mean prick and a sneaky arse licker with a serious case of Dunning - Krüger, no personality, no friends, a batshit crazy ugly wife and no kids, no pets. Looking at his beerbelly, which is planet sized, I'm sure he brought much of this on himself while boring the fuck out of fellow drunks in his local watering hole and lying about how intelligent he is. I didn't stay around him long, but long enough to 'accidentally' trap his foot under the leg of my chair in a customer meeting.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz Razz Applause Twisted Evil Applause Twisted Evil Drool Drool

That made me laugh a bit! Laughing
I'm not over weight and try to eat not to much red meat, ( I have a freezer full of grass fed beef Shocked ) but I do enjoy a good steak once in a while.
But yeah. My downfall is beer. Sad
I also try not to be an asshole to most folks. Some deserve some direct criticism. Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

He’s smart to buy the Dunn8ng Kruger by the Case, it’s expensive by the bottle. I bet you smart guys didn’t know that, either.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

an upside is that colchicine is helpful in covid cases...

'COVID-19: Gout drug Colchicine cuts hospital stays and need for oxygen therapy, study suggests
A small clinical trial shows coronavirus patients who were given the medication recovered sooner than those given placebo.'

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

finster wrote:

A small clinical trial shows coronavirus patients who were given the medication recovered sooner than those given placebo.'

Placebo is a wonder drug. As they say on television-----"Ask your doctor if Placebo is right for you".
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

reminds me of the 'nothing works faster than anadin!' adverts Laughing

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

I’ve been dealing with it for 23 years now. Had my first flare up at the ripe old age of 25. I’ve tried every medicine and home remedy under the sun. The only things that really work for me are steroids, aleve, THC edibles, and cherry juice concentrate or cherries when I can get them. Uloric didn’t work as a preventative. Allopurinol didn’t work as a preventative. Colchicine destroys my stomach and didn’t really do much in the way of relief anyway. I eat whatever I want as it doesn’t seem to have any effect on the frequency of my attacks. Sometimes I can go months without any issues and sometimes a flare up will last for a month or longer moving from one area of my body to another. The biggest trigger for me seems to be from dehydration. I know I don’t get enough water.

Last edited by oldskewlsk8ter on Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

^^Similar with me. Earlier I posted that Colchicine and Indomethcine usually work. I have pain now in my left wrist that seems like a flare and will not go away. I went into Urgent Care yesterday and they X-Rayed it and did blood work. They found nothing clinical. Like you I have also found that dehydration can lead to a flare and in my case also bring on migraines.
Another of my issues is that being 68 I have to get up and pee several times a night. I take Flomax but that has not solved the issue. So....I need to increase the fluids to avoid gout and migranes but more fluids means more night time trips to the bathroom.
Getting old is not for wimps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:
One of my former managers has gout. He also has diabetes and is seriously overweight and out of shape. Added to this he is a total asshole. A grabbing, selfish, mean prick and a sneaky arse licker with a serious case of Dunning - Krüger, no personality, no friends, a batshit crazy ugly wife and no kids, no pets. Looking at his beerbelly, which is planet sized, I'm sure he brought much of this on himself while boring the fuck out of fellow drunks in his local watering hole and lying about how intelligent he is. I didn't stay around him long, but long enough to 'accidentally' trap his foot under the leg of my chair in a customer meeting.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz Razz Applause Twisted Evil Applause Twisted Evil Drool Drool

That made me laugh a bit! Laughing
I'm not over weight and try to eat not to much red meat, ( I have a freezer full of grass fed beef Shocked ) but I do enjoy a good steak once in a while.
But yeah. My downfall is beer. Sad
I also try not to be an asshole to most folks. Some deserve some direct criticism. Wink

Ah 67, I hope you're well and feeling better. Who would deny a man his steak and a beer? Not I. Its the small things in life that matter. I didn't mean to draw any parallels between anyone.

When you mentioned gout it just triggered me. I remember that guy. Devious bullies like him rise my shackles and it's in my nature to maul them. I'm the kid who got in fights cos other kids pulled the wings off flies. That guy caused me nasty problems when I moved country with my wife pregnant and a young kid. If ever I meet him again he will rue the day he fucked with me.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

I have got the gout more times than I can remember. Its pretty damn painful! I would get it in my big toes and my right ankle. I was able to figure out the source of my gout. Energy drinks. Those did it to me. I know everyone is different and i am pretty sure that isnt the case with you. when I had goout attacks the only thing that would help me was to stay off my feet and drink a lot of water along with ibuprofen.

That shit is painful! I feel for you.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

Since you're in OR where cannabis is legal, you might consider going on down to your local weed shop and asking for a vial of RSO. Should be about $30. Ask the budtender for something well suited for pain. It doesn't take much and is very very inexpensive (a vial is good for about 50-70 doses, each providing 5-8 hours of relief depending on your tolerance and level of pain.)
It won't be curative but you might get some pain relief allowing you greater function. Good luck.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Since you're in OR where cannabis is legal, you might consider going on down to your local weed shop and asking for a vial of RSO. Should be about $30. Ask the budtender for something well suited for pain. It doesn't take much and is very very inexpensive (a vial is good for about 50-70 doses, each providing 5-8 hours of relief depending on your tolerance and level of pain.)
It won't be curative but you might get some pain relief allowing you greater function. Good luck.

what is RSO ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

Hey 67! I feel your pain man!
I’m only 47 and have had 3 flare ups. They hurt like a mother fuc!er!!
Indomethacin and PURE cherry juice knocks it out everytime.
Within a few hours it’s totally gone. I am very active and skateboard ALOT. I can’t be down for long so I take the indo (NOT endo) and cherry juice.😂😂
I don’t smoke, drink, or take any drugs. (I know very boring life eh?)
Give it a shot!!
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

Voltaren (diclofenac sodium) gel. It's a NSAID topical gel you apply right on the area. It's actually meant for this. My doctor prescribed some to me for back pain/shoulder joint issues I have, but it's meant more for arthritis specifically.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

what is RSO ?

There is a Canadian guy named Rick Simpson who invented the shit. Hence the name Rick Simpson Oil (RSO)

It's basically weed Wink ...or hash oil to be exact

No joke, lol
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Voltaren (diclofenac sodium) gel. It's a NSAID topical gel you apply right on the area. It's actually meant for this. My doctor prescribed some to me for back pain/shoulder joint issues I have, but it's meant more for arthritis specifically.

Hmmmmm... I *have* some of that for my arthritic hips. Might be worth a try.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

Just a generic warning about using THC related products for pain control. THC will just basically make you not care about the pain. It is not curing the issue and in fact your issue can get worse as the THC products mask the pain.

In general....while cannabis can be very helpful to many people you need to be sure to treat the underlying condition and not just numb the pain from it.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

Yes! Very good stuff!! Never thought of using it for gout but it is very highly regarded from what I’ve heard.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:

Yes! Very good stuff!! Never thought of using it for gout but it is very highly regarded from what I’ve heard.

USA, Voltaren. < Edit: Now made by GSK.
Estonia, Voltegran.
Ireland, Voltarol.
All made by Novartis.
Voltaren is a recent US OTC ointment that has been OTC in Europe for quite some time.
I was turned onto this product way back in 2009 by a receptionist at the factory I was working at in Estonia. She said her father used it and suggested I do as well for a sore knee.
In hind sight. I bet that was my first gout flare. I just didn't know what it was. The friggin Dr. I saw there wanted to operate on my knee.
I opted for the cortisone shot instead.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Gout sux, that's for sure!
I used to get2 or 3 attacks per year------big toe, knee, wrist.
Doc prescribed Indomethacin for flare-ups at first, but then changed his mind. He was worried about the long term affects on heart, blood pressure, kidneys, etc.
So he put me on Allopurinol to prevent future attacks. I take it every day------forever. Not a big deal as I take a bunch of other pills daily anyway. I have not had a dose of theGout.com in over 5 years. Very Happy

I suggest you stop the allopurinol and see what happens. My wife quit at my suggestion with zero negative affects.

Doctors love to write scripts and hate to take you back off. Once you reach your 60’s you find that your cupboard is full of meds and it’s up to you to make the decision because no one will care for you better than you yourself
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Living with Gout. It is painful! Reply with quote

I give my brother Maryland blue crabs for his gout. He loves them tasty critters.
I ask him about his gout -says what is a little pain for so much pleasure? Laughing

He got so bad once he needed steroid shots in his feet. That was before the crabs.

I am almost 60 yr and take no pills...any pills. All the proper things get swollen but I don't use steroids for that. Laughing

You fellas stay safe.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: