Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gbug13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

I am new here, I just wanted to give a big hey ya'll! I am here to learn all I can about vw vehicles. I hope to purchase my very first one soon. I have a strong interest in the air cooled vws off road capabilities. I will ask a lot of stupid questions and probably get a lot of stupid answers.
So let the fun begin!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And I had a question, how reliable is your vw? I have heard some say they will survive the shtf and others say if you own a vw you will work on it constantly. What is your answer and why?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

Well, they're all correct. If you work on it constantly, it will survive anything.

People who band-aid and neglect their VW's will constantly have issues and find them unreliable. People who spend lots of time and money to improve and maintain their cars get lots of trouble free miles out of them. Pick your poison I guess. Doing preventative maintenance on your own schedule saves you from doing emergency repairs at inconvenient times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

Gbug13 wrote:
I will ask a lot of stupid questions and probably get a lot of stupid answers.

I suggest searching before asking. In the 20 years the Samba has been around many of the common questions have been answered quite a few times.

It will save you from getting stupid answers.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

Both of mine are very reliable. I do keep after them though.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

We have been having a bit of trouble with starting on the cold mornings with our daily drivers, Jetta TDI, Lupo and Forester. Guess what DID start the other day after sitting since August? The air cooled '73 VW based Manx copy Buggy! And without a block heater or even charging the battery...

Now that's reliable!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
Both of mine are very reliable. I do keep after them though.

Both my VWs are quite reliable. I think reliability has significant amount to do with the previous owners/previous mechanics. Crap in = crap out.

I'm the 2nd owner of my 1970 and 1971, have had them 48.5 and 45 years respectively. So have been all my responsibility.

In general: the closest to stock, the better.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

It strongly depends on who built it, what parts were/are used and how it's maintained

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

It's definitely a higher maintenance to reliability ratio than a modern vehicle. You can have an extremely reliable air-cooled VW, you're just going to have to work harder (or pay more at the mechanic) to have the same dependability as a modern car.
I mean I change the oil in my Toyota every 5000 miles, the computer does all the fuel mixture and timing work for me. The valves don't need adjusting every few thousand miles. If something does go wrong the idiot light comes on and then I plug in the reader and the computer tells me what to fix. The body is galvanized steel and plastic so it doesn't rust out in the salt.
I'm just saying, if you're going to have a vintage VW as a daily driver (or any vintage vehicle) be prepared to budget a lot more time for maintenance. Oh and keep a good stash of common wear parts, 'cause the guy at the parts store is going give you a thousand yard stare when you ask for points for your bug. Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

I put 50,000 miles on mine in two years. Yeah, I broke stuff but I don’t know of a modern car that would withstand any of the abuse that I put my car through.

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

This forum may give you a better idea about off-roading VWs:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

They are strong, but you need to learn how to "listen" to them to see if problems are developing. Lack of maintenance and procrastination will take them down.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

My daily driver has been a 56 beetle for the last several years. I spent plenty of time & money fixing it up, but in the last couple years I just drive it. I did have a voltage regulator fail on it, took all of 5 minutes to replace. I check the valve adjustments every oil change. Some people have had bad experiences with vws & maybe they just owned a basket case. I am someone that will claim that old aircooled vas are very reliable. Hope you find a good car that gives you many years of enjoyment!

Conrad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

Look as long as you are on top of the maintenance and spend a half and hour per week with your vehicle will start on the first try every time like my vehicles do. Reliable YES!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

It's a machine and like all machines, if you push it beyond it's parameters you'll have problems.

I've never equated maintenance of a machine with it's ability to do a job. I can think of many low maintenance machines I have that are less than dependable with less than stellar performance. My cell phone, my new washer, my snowblower even my shoes are less than dependable and performance challenged.

Our Bugs were designed for our participation. VW wanted us to play with their creation. All the unique things we have to do to maintain our Bugs was anticipated and planned. It's easy. Our Bugs invite us to participate on a mechanical level unlike the modern vehicle which insists we stay away.

Years ago I put my two Bugs in good mechanical shape and I've maintained them at that level. Right now, if I were to checked my oil, tire pressure and tank up, I could easily and dependably travel 500 miles and back. I've driven my Bugs to Prudhoe Bay and the Arctic on several occasions.

I don't need a more dependable vehicle than my Bug.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: New member greeting and question- How reliable is your vw? Reply with quote

Gbug13 wrote:
I have a strong interest in the air cooled vws off road capabilities.
And I had a question, how reliable is your vw?

You might get different answers in the HBB Off Road forum.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: