Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madscientist2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

I’ve built up the case already on a 1584 cc engine. Put in a performance cam, ratio rockers, porting the heads, dual ICT carbs, and other updates. I didn’t update the crank or flywheel to 8 dowels. From what I’ve learned the engine should produce about 75 HP. I do not plan to rev it higher than 4500 rpm. Questions: do I need 8 dowels? And, since the crank is already installed in the case halves, if I should 8 dowel, can the crank be drilled when in the case. No heads or cylinders installed yet.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

4 will be fine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

I concur.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

Torque it properly.
Madscientist2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

Torque of 250 ft-lbs, or more?
Madscientist2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

Should the gland nut be installed with loctite? Standard washer or oversized empi washer?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

Get a better gland nut and wash her.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

If its for a off road buggy then yes on more dowels Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

Stock torque value is fine as is the stock 4 dowels. With the cam change you in all likely hood have not increased the engine's torque from stock. The only way you will brake the dowel connection with that engine is to get stupid on the clutch with big sticky tires.

I have put together quite a few stock 1584s in the past with the stock parts and torque values, no Loctite and have never had one fail.
Madscientist2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

I did get the empi chromoly gland nut with a large cupped washer. First time I put it together, the washer lost its cupped shape and got flat. The head of the nut dug into the washer quite notably. So when I put it together the last time I used the empi nut but with the stock washer. On the other question, this is not for an off road application
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

I have never built an engine WITHOUT doing the 8 dowels, but I have taken apart quite a few bone stock 4 dowel engines with messed up cranks and flywheels.

Brian
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

You cannot blame the stock flywheel connection without knowledge of history of the failure. Some guys can break a crowbar in a sandbox!
raymon covey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

Are you going to do burn outs in the parking lot LOL !!!!!!!!
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
You cannot blame the stock flywheel connection without knowledge of history of the failure. Some guys can break a crowbar in a sandbox!

I am not blaming a shitty mechanic, or abuse, just pointing out an inherently weak connection, known to fail even on stock engines. This guy has done things to his engine that will hopefully increase the power over a stock engine, making the already weak connection even weaker. I agree, and have seen guys who can break anything. Those guys are helpless regardless of what is done to their junk.

Porsche used 8 dowels on their engines that were a similar output to what his engine might be. Maybe they knew what they were doing??

Brian
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

I have seen too many stock gland nuts strip out and ruin 4 dowels.

Fault of many things...

I always 8-dowel. I have the fixture and can do the crank and flywheel as a unit. I can even do it with the motor assembled.
Always use a Chromoly gland nut too.

Just extra insurance that it will never fail.
Cheap and easy to do....
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:

Just extra insurance that it will never fail.
Cheap and easy to do....

EXACTLY!!
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

Make sure the dowels don't stick up past the flywheel or it wont torque proper.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

The more the marrier to me. They sell 8-dowelling kit. GEt one. If you have a drill press, then you are golden.

8-dowelling helps the crank/flywheel mating a lot. YOu can use a stock glandnut too. Or upgrade to the HD kinds.

Hope this helps.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: 8 doweling a stock crank and flywheel-needed? Reply with quote

Madscientist2 wrote:
I’ve built up the case already on a 1584 cc engine. Put in a performance cam, ratio rockers, porting the heads, dual ICT carbs, and other updates. I didn’t update the crank or flywheel to 8 dowels. From what I’ve learned the engine should produce about 75 HP. I do not plan to rev it higher than 4500 rpm. Questions: do I need 8 dowels? And, since the crank is already installed in the case halves, if I should 8 dowel, can the crank be drilled when in the case. No heads or cylinders installed yet.

As menthioned, 8 dowels is a good thing, but not absolutely nessessary, and not for the power window you are in. That said I would definitely replace that Empi gland nut and washer. Another item from that company that I will never use in its current quality. Scat, CB and even the HD ones AA sells are OK.
The reason to use the larger washer is that you apply clamping force to a much larger surface which reduce the risk of the flywheel bananing ever so slightly at the mating surface. Also, with a quality gland nut you can safely increase torque to 280 ft lbs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: