Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OIL temp sender location
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

Thinking here for oil temp. Yes No?
I also have an oil pressure gauge as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dammit I don’t have the lower thermostat side tin!!I have the curved piece but missing the flat one. I’ll have to make one maybe.
Lost? Maybe. I spent 2 hours searching for it today and gave up. I swore I had 2 of everything. Guess not
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989

Last edited by 67 Sunroof on Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

Roof, remember this..... But there is a more accurate answer that only a few bare truth as the witness of there answer, to make since.... The ultimate location...

So take this in mind, it is feeling out the engine, and to learn how the gauge reflects the oil engine temp. Meaning, depending on were it is can take for it to accurate, location can throw off if the oil temp is actually lower than indicated, or even higher than...

Point, I have seen pro's and con't of both sides, but feeling out you engine with the correct thought line on what is going on as built to the engine builder will he be to the wiser.. Taking precautions..

Mine reads low for a long time, why, it is in the 3 Qt. Sump, Gene Berg Factory insert. But I do know that the engine is for sure running at optimal high temps, or higher. But I rarely see the 180 degree marks, this even after a hard running on 55-65 mph back roads/flat and hilly for 155 miles... But I pay attention and stick attention to my CHT's.

So take this as a note on the above, when I get out the car, I listen for the external oil cooler fan is running at shut down of the engine, and for smells... But of course during the whole time listening and feeling the engine during acceleration and watching CHT's. Oil does disapate oil temps from them.. Plus the over all head cooling along/amongst cylinder temps... RB
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight man. I know temperature is “relative” depending on where you are getting your reading from. So if my temp is normally 180 at one location it could be higher in another location....
So if I am USED to seeing 180 on a normal commute and then one day it’s sitting at 220 then I know something is astray.
I never looked at cht gauges yet. I’m guessing tapping in on the #3 cylinder would be the best location being it’s usually the hottest.

This actually might be a really bad location as it has already run through the oil pump, hoses, filter, and going back into the engine.
I also considered tapping the top of the canton oil filter housing too.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

I went to my local hardware store and found a Lug-nut, yes a Lug-nut with the correct threads to match my sender. Next stop my local welder with my sump plate. Lost some ground clearance but it's a bus. Worked great and no chance of FUBAR'ing my case.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

Explain further how you did this? You installed it UNDER the sump? My cb slim sump has a blank on one end to actually drill into if needed but of course it’s already installed on the engine😡oops. Another small mistake or I would’ve probably put it there!
I cannot install it under the sump as my engine sits completely on the ground when I lower the car all the way down.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

Type 3 dipstick blockoff plate is a good spot for that style sender
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

And it would fit the type 1 case? Interesting
_MidlifeCrisis_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
And it would fit the type 1 case? Interesting

I have one in mine I'm building. I got it from Joe Bence's store https://www.jbevwstore.com/

Block-off here- https://www.jbevwstore.com/type-3-block-off-with-temp-sender-por3.html

Here it is installed on mine -
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

Love that man!! Thanks for the idea!
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

That's where I put my GB227S, but not all cases have the type3 oil filler. I have the temp sender in the oil filter braket.

p.s. maybe change "fuel" to "oil" in the thread title. Laughing

Last edited by FreeBug on Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

Then you put it in the remote filter housing like the picture Glenn has posted.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

This is how I have mine on my full flow line, picked it up from a samba member.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

My bad.

Last edited by FreeBug on Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:

If that thing is mounted on a rubber oil line, with no metal-to metal contact, don't forget to ground it.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:

If that thing is mounted on a rubber oil line, with no metal-to metal contact, don't forget to ground it.

It’s mounted right on the oil pump. I like it because it’s in the oil flow, non-restrictive, and real time temp of what the engine is seeing.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

I've had my temperature sender in the oil screen cover/drain plug location since 1977, tells me what I need to know. VDO sender threads in, instead of stock drain plug; I remove with 19mm open end wrench.
1835cc DP engine, Arizona.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

I prefer mounting it into the top of the remote oil filter housing. Constant oil flow right out of the engine for the most accurate reading. Very easy to do. I also mount my pressure sender with a gauge tap fitting on one of the lines also. This keeps the sending units together, and out of the engine compartment. Easy wiring run up the inside of the body also.

Brian
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

In the filter housing also.

Your title says fuel temp. Typo.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

Wow! Too much work! Fixed the title😂
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

Your first choice under the distributor is just fine.

Since oil is flowing like mad thru the motor when running, you can assume that all points in the flow path are very close in temp.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: