Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus brake Proportioning Valve Same as Early Vanagon?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Bus brake Proportioning Valve Same as Early Vanagon? Reply with quote

Hi all.

Hopefully I won't get in trouble asking this here but.....

I just found out that the '73-'79 Bus and '80-'85 Vanagon share the same brake calipers. It's a long shot, but as the subject says, I'm curious if they also share the same brake proportioning valve and if it's NLA or not (for the Bus)

If anyone knows, or has a PN/pic for the Bus brake proportioning valve, I'd appreciate it.

TIA,

Neil.

P.S. Here's a pic of the one on my '81:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks to be the same as the later bay ones, the 211 start to part no. is right as well . i have a few bay ones lying around and also the box a new one came in about 18 months ago.if no one else answers i can check that tomorrow.

we broke a late vanagon a few weeks ago and although it wasn't me actually took the pressure regulator off, i did notice it while working on the front axles and i think it was different.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compared mid 1970s with 1982 and the part number is the same on the VCat and VWHeritage site. 211 612 501A. On late vanagons they use a different system with ABS. VWHeritage shows them available on their site for about $200
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
that looks to be the same as the later bay ones, the 211 start to part no. is right as well . i have a few bay ones lying around and also the box a new one came in about 18 months ago.if no one else answers i can check that tomorrow.

we broke a late vanagon a few weeks ago and although it wasn't me actually took the pressure regulator off, i did notice it while working on the front axles and i think it was different.

Thanks oorwullie. I appreciate the help.

FWIW, the one I removed from an '85 (pics below) is different. Has only one mounting hole, ports in different locations. Possibly similar/same as one you removed.

Neil.

'85

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I compared mid 1970s with 1982 and the part number is the same on the VCat and VWHeritage site. 211 612 501A. On late vanagons they use a different system with ABS. VWHeritage shows them available on their site for about $200

Good to know. Thanks.

I had a quick look (thanks for pointers to those sites) but didn't see the part. Still. AFAIK, it's NLA for the Vanagon. But, for the early model year Vanagon, if the Bay part fits, that would be nice to know for the future.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NLA from volkswagen you mean? it's a girling part!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
NLA from volkswagen you mean? it's a girling part!

I should be clear. Smile

Although I haven't actually called a VW dealership about the part, I assumed it was NLA *anywhere* based upon what I've read here on the Vanagon Samba forum (specifially Terry K posts):

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319303&highlight=proportioning+valve

Maybe I'll call my VW dealership just for laffs. Wink

Available from Girling? Their online catalogue didn't show it for a 2.1 WBX or 2.0 air cooled, but thanks for the idea. Link to Girling catalogue:

http://tinyurl.com/c3anub

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the box from the last new one one i bought (not from girling) together with one that didn't work anymore.

the different type on my 91 caravelle.

and the same type on an 84 i'm stripping.

maybe it's only the aircooled vanagons have the same as bay parts.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics oorwullie

Talked to my parts guy today. (not dealership) Valve is NLA for all years of Vanagon. I don't know if this applies only to North America.

But.... a very knowledgable fellow on Vanagon.com email list, said the Bay part would work for the early model years. I wonder if it would function the same on later models? I don't see why not. I don't think the rear brakes design changed much if at all all during production, so if the job of the valve is to limit pressure to rear brakes, (under certain conditions) it should work. But I'm not certain. Anyhow. Valve would require the obvious modifications, for use in later model years, but if it was ok to use, that would be very good news!

My parts guy said his ETKA (or other database. I don't know) showed the early type valve for 80 - mid 82. WBX engine introduced in mid '83 AFAIK. Anyhow......

Thanks for the help and leeway on content people. It may very well have helped solve a future potential issue for other Vanagon owners.

Cheers,

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Davidcu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a proportioning valve from a 71 bus with the bleeder valve work on a 76 bus that had a proportioning valve without the bleeder. Basically is it hte same unit but has a bleeder and will work for both years? Very Happy
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a '71- As far as the bleeder goes the manual says don't use the bleeder anyway to bleed anything.

In reality it is a proportioning valve because it does proportion the pressure. But more accurately and descriptive is a regulating valve since it regulates when and if the proportioning feature is used. Normal simple proportioning valves do the proportioning all the time.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lines come in at different spots on early vs late. NOS ones are still floating around out there. Unless yours is leaking or your lines really gunky there is only a big ball bearing that rolls around in there. You can easily test it following Bentley.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This particular part was one of the most difficult to find nos. I seriously doubt there are many left world wide nos. I found a stash a few years ago and have since sold the extra couple I had to friends. German Supply was having them rebuilt but I do not think they do it any more. As Steve mentioned it has a large ball inside the valve. I think Scott had someone taking them apart, cleaning them, and replacing the gasket between the halves. The issue is the diaphragm inside the valve. If that goes after years of brake fluid the valve is toast even if you clean it. I think either DB or the gentleman in NM had a nice write up about cleaning the innards with alcohol. Also I remember Ray Greenwood explained how to use a modern valve and make it work. Hope this helps.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we still rebuild the brake valves. there is no diaphragm inside, but there are seals.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I used a big syrenge and kept flushing the inside with alcohol until the junk broke loose and all came out. seems like you can partially take it apart but not all the way.
Ray Greenwood told of the types of alcohol to use and not use.

Before cleaning it out the rear brakes would lock up and skid on hard braking. With it working as intended it is an outstanding system.

Until recently I didn't know Scott redid them, that's great.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go - buy a rebuilt one from Scott of the right kind and you are done. Simple solution.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any documentation on what's inside these? And why are they not "rebuildable" (according to Bentley)? Just curious...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Is there any documentation on what's inside these?

Haynes Transporter manual has an excellent cross-sectional drawing.
The pistons can be pulled out but it was the valve for the ball that scared me of damaging it's seal. Seems surprising that Scott can get the new seals. For the piston seals they probably would have to be obtained already on new pistons. Maybe the same for valve seal.

Mine cleaned up real nice and finally looked to be in good shape. And the seals looked good. The big problem besides being junked up was one of the mounting bolts was rusted to both the spacer and the body. Had to be drilled out and then a new spacer cut.
jadney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus brake Proportioning Valve Same as Early Vanagon? Reply with quote

I do a lot of Type 3 calipers and master cylinders, but I recently worked over a set for someone with a '79 bus. Out of caution, I asked him to send me the proportioning valve, too, just to make sure everything was in good shape. I ended up rebuilding it, just to get the rust and dirt out of it. In the end, I only needed to make a new paper gasket; everything else was in good condition once the bores were honed and it was all cleaned up.

Finding this thread helped me understand what was going on here and encouraged me to fix this valve.

I charged $50 for this repair, which was only a few bucks more than what I had to invest in some new hones for the small bores. I expect to be able to do the same for anyone else with either version of this valve (with or without bleeder) and that would enable me to recover more of my investment in those small flex hones.

That valve is a very interesting design, but the one I worked over was filled with crud that made me wonder how long it had been since it had worked properly.

Email me if you've got one that needs attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: