Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

My new Type IV stock hydraulic camshaft "ate" the thrust bearing, opening the endplay from 0.003" to 0.010" in a few hundred miles. This was after polishing the thrust surfaces to remove the Parkerizing that was on them.

I measured the axial runout (fore and aft) on the camshaft thrust surfaces and found 0.002" on each side. This seems excessive given a camshaft endplay range of 0.0016" to 0.004".

How much is too much?

I'm guessing that at speed, the runout is pushing the cam back and forth rapidly in the thrust bearing, destroying the bearing thrust surface.

Thoughts?

1978 Westy
1971 Super Beetle Convertible

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J.R.R. Tolkien
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

was it the Parkerizing on the camshaft ?? (that was polished off?)
I've run a camshaft that had welded up lobes & Parkerizing & left it be &
run for an admirable length of time. The deviation number stamped on the
backside of the factory cam gear comes into play as far as lash is concerned.
A O marked (neutral) gear can do bad things if your original unit was a -5 or
a 7 or who knows what. The Parkerizing is a perishable coating, I'd let it get pulled off by friction, YMMV.
EDIT: there is a 'bind test', when the cases are separated, rotating the crank &
cam in the case half. If the camshaft attempts to lift out of the bearing shells, or there is a bind, the cam gear gets changed to a different number.
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

The Parkerizing that I polished off was a rough "overspray" on the thrust surfaces of the camshaft that ride against the bearing. I thought that roughness against the soft bearing material was a bad idea.

I did the cam gear tests before assembling the engine. No binding, no lifting of the cam when the crank was rotated backwards.

1978 Westy

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J.R.R. Tolkien
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

What kind of oil pump are you using?
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

I think I know where you're going with the oil pump question. When I built the engine, I triple checked that the oil pump drive tang was floating in the cam slot axially and not touching or exerting thrust force on the camshaft.

It's a modified Type 3 Schadek oil pump that I bought from European Motorworks.

1978 Westy

RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

Not surprised. The stories of bad thrust surfaces on type 4 cams are increasing rapidly. Happened to me as well and I did the best I could to correct the errors during the build up.

Somebody is doing a shit job on final qc of cams in the past couple years. If they are even checking them at all.

They are costing people a ton of money and ruining a bunch of already hard to find cases and parts.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

VWLover77 wrote:
I think I know where you're going with the oil pump question. When I built the engine, I triple checked that the oil pump drive tang was floating in the cam slot axially and not touching or exerting thrust force on the camshaft.

It's a modified Type 3 Schadek oil pump that I bought from European Motorworks.

Yes, exactly. I have gone through the same issues and trying to eliminate all the causes of cam thrust bearing failure on my current build.

Here are the things I am or will be checking:

Can journal runout
Runout of thrust faces
Runout of the flange that holds the gear
Runout of the gear
Polish cam thrust surfaces
Endplay
Clearance with oil pump
Measure gear lash at different points around the gear

I spent a lot of time setting up a double thrust cam bearing. One thing I noticed was that a stock reground cam would turn easily even with the shittiest bearing arrangement. Of course the surfaces are worn smooth and endplay is greater but within spec.

I know that GoWesty has a supply of old gears that they hand fit to their engine builds. I’m sure a lot of good builders do this. Most home builders don’t have that option.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

VWLover77 wrote:
I measured the axial runout (fore and aft) on the camshaft thrust surfaces and found 0.002" on each side. This seems excessive given a camshaft endplay range of 0.0016" to 0.004".

Can you describe how you are measuring the runout?
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
Can you describe how you are measuring the runout?

If you promise not to laugh or ridicule me! Smile

See the photo. Yes, the gauge setup is crap, but it's actually quite easy to clamp that nice flat gauge surface against the nice flat case mating surface and hold it tightly without movement.

With the gauge finger on the cam thrust surface, I "pull" the cam up against the bearing and slowly rotate it, watching the total swing of the indicator needle, which is 0.002"

Basically the same thing on the other thrust surface (the gauge finger moves in both directions from zero), except this time I'm pushing the cam into the thrust bearing. Same 0.002" of indicator swing.

There may be some cosine error in the measurement due to the gauge finger not being more parallel to the thrust surface, which means in reality, it's worse than 0.002"

And no, the thrust bearing is not "flexing". Pushing or pulling harder on the cam does not change the gauge reading.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1978 Westy

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

So you are measuring endplay like this and not the runout on the thrust surface, if I understand correctly.

If you are getting .002" of total movement fore and aft than endplay would seem spot on. If you you are getting .002" of runout on the thrust surface that would seem like a lot.

Are you measuring this on a new thrust bearing? I think you are saying that you are getting this runout with the cam thrust surface pushed up against the bearing thrust surface and are describing the combined runout (uneveness of bearing thrust surface + whatever runout of the cam thrust surface).

Try getting a measurement of the thrust surface runout by itself.

Last edited by orwell84 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

That looks like .0015" to me.
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
So you are measuring endplay like this and not the runout on the thrust surface, if I understand correctly.

I think you misunderstood me. Here is the procedure step by step, for the setup shown in the photo.

1. Pull camshaft toward the front of the case so the cam thrust surface is up against the bearing thrust surface. All endplay gap is now on the other side of the thrust bearing, not the side being measured.

2. Position gauge

3. While continuing to pull the camshaft forward to maintain thrust face contact, slowly rotate the camshaft and note the maximum and minimum dial indicator readings. The difference between the two readings is the axial runout of the camshaft thrust flange face.

4. Repeat on the other side, but this time push the camshaft axially to the rear of the case to maintain contact between the cam thrust flange face and the thrust bearing.

And Starbucket, the photo was snapped at a random location. The gauge is not reading maximum swing at that moment.

Here’s a video.

Link

1978 Westy

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

it's shit like this that makes me never want to jump inside another aircooled again. even when you do your best, it still isn't good enough

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

Check the center journal and see if the cam is warped when you rotate and have a helper hold a leather belt and apply downward pressure on the front and back journals while you rotate the cam.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

I don't think the method is funny, it's clever but I am still not sure it's accurate enough for what you're trying to do. But there definitely seems to be measurable runout.

The next question would be a 2-parter.

Why did you suspect an issue with the thrust surface of the cam bearing (you must have noticed something or you wouldn't have take the engine apart) and what kind of bearings were used?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
I don't think the method is funny, it's clever but I am still not sure it's accurate enough for what you're trying to do. But there definitely seems to be measurable runout.

The next question would be a 2-parter.

Why did you suspect an issue with the thrust surface of the cam bearing (you must have noticed something or you wouldn't have take the engine apart) and what kind of bearings were used?

^^^^^^ this......not laughing at you at all. But I also agree.....its "possible" there are some inaccuracies at play with this method......not the least of which COULD be.....the cam itself not being straight along its length......or issues with one or more of the cam bearings being high or low....holding the cam vrooked relative to the case bore and allowing movement. That second one I highly doubt.

But......if you can find some "points" or live centers to park the cam in....in the two machine bosses that are already machined into it....and then set you gauge up on the thrust face.....as aell as checking axial play on the whole cam...I think :

A. It would instantly tell you if the cam is bent or machined out of true.

B. If the thrust face is indeed machined out of plane.

See.....here is the worry. One would assume.....that all of the grinding and machining of these cams is done in one set up once its on the machine centers. At least I would thibk so and may be totally wrong.

If that is the case.....then it would probably mean that the blank was bent. Ray
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

True confessions..... The first time this camshaft went into the engine, I made two big newbie mistakes. The first was assuming the Wilson book was comprehensive. It's not. There is NOTHING in the engine assembly chapter about checking camshaft endplay, and I didn't. The second was not inspecting the camshaft thrust surfaces. Both had "parkerizing" overspray on them that I did not see. Within a couple of hundred miles, the engine was making loud knocking noises at idle. I pulled the engine and found excessive camshaft endplay and the thrust bearing "eaten".

I bought new Mahle cam bearings, cleaned up the cam thrust surfaces to remove the parkerizing, and learned about checking camshaft endplay thanks to this forum. The engine went back together with 0.003" of camshaft endplay, smooth, shiny cam thrust surfaces,..........and a number 3 main bearing that wasn't properly seated on its dowel pin. It went a couple of hundred miles before it seized. Sad

Before the seizure, it seemed to be getting noisy again at idle. I checked the camshaft endplay after removing the engine and oil pump and found it at 0.010" and the thrust bearing eaten again.

So, as I'm working through the rebuild yet again (with a reground crank and freshly align-bored case), I'm especially worried about the cam thrust bearing which led me to do this check. I'm thinking this runout is making the cam bounce back and forth at high speed and eating away the bearing thrust surfaces.

I measured the cam radial runout in a case half at each journal with its bearing removed and the other two installed. It appears to be perfectly straight - virtually no indicator movement at all on any journal as the cam is rotated.

1978 Westy

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

Ok, I get it. I was overthinking it. I measured the runout of the thrust faces the same way, though with a crappier gauge. I got goose eggs. You shouldn’t be getting runout or barely any.
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

if you can find some "points" or live centers to park the cam in....in the two machine bosses that are already machined into it

I understand, but don't really have anything appropriate to use as the points here.

I guess I could take it to the local machine shop and ask them to check it out. But not sure I want to spend even a dime on it at this point.

1978 Westy

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft Thrust Surface Axial Runout Reply with quote

I went through the same thing with the crank from my old engine...removed the center main and slapped a dial gauge on it. It went bumpity bump, out .002”. I thought this can’t be. It must be my hokey assed measuring set up so I set it up better, same thing, bought some v blocks and sure enough, same measurement. The #1 bearing was out .0035” when the center main was supported. I took it to a machinist and asked him to measure it on centers. Say it ain’t so, I said. He got pretty close to the same measurements.

So you are probably right. It’s off somehow. I would wring my hands less replacing a cam than a crank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: