Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Member with a New 2 ME Sand Rail
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Scruffy Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: New Member with a New 2 ME Sand Rail Reply with quote

<old person font size>

New member info: I was a auto tech in my former life for 25+ years followed by a 20 year career as a machinist. Now retired and refusing to grow up.

Just bought an old sand rail I will be resurrecting.

It has a 71 Bus engine and transaxle that I think is basically stock. Engine sounded okay but I didn't run it long or drive it because the fan was scragged. Hub was worn out and fan was freewheeling so I hope they didn't do too much damage to the engine. They claimed trans is okay so I went on trust.

It needs rear tires which I am on the hunt for. It has 35x12.50-15 on it.

I have a new fan and hub on order.

Previous user said it didn't run or idle all that good so I went ahead and ordered an aftermarket stock type carb. It was only double the cost of a kit so I went for simple if it's not junk. Reviews were good on it. Also ordered a new fuel filter and some 1/4" fuel hose. Stock carb had the shut off solenoid clipped and no power going to it so I will add power to the new one.

It has an external oil cooler and a aftermarket dog house. To be honest I haven't looked close enough to see if it has an oil thermostat. How much extra oil should I add? Planning to change oil and filter tomorrow while I wait on parts.

Axle boots are all torn and I plan to just replace the axles. Aftermarket axles are so cheap it isn't worth my time to repack CVs and put new boots on. Not going to spend that money until after I make a few laps around the property.

I have 7 acres and recently made a road course around the back 3 for a go Kart I bought to play with. My granddaughter is having fun with the kart but it is too small for both of us. I started this mission looking for a larger kart and came across this rail so I went that direction. Wife had a VW when we married and has pestered me to get her another so I may get away with making this count. I figure it will give me a start to teach the granddaughter how to drive a manual trans and some car control.

Here is a video of the track I made. I have modified the course since this was taken and made it lap around the property instead of having turn arounds. Was eating too much dust having to turn around and drive through the area from which I just came.
https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=ZZG1Xf0iG0Q&ab_channel=sandyman099

I use to do a lot of autocross and track days in my Mustang. I let my daughter drive it in autocross and she became an excellent driver.

I still try to get in a couple of track days every year.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos

And here is the obligatory photo of the new project.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

</old person font size>
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member with a New 2 ME Sand Rail Reply with quote

Nice. Don't see how people get thru life without a pick em up truck.

Scruffy Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member with a New 2 ME Sand Rail Reply with quote

Making slow progress.

Ordered a new fan and discovered my shroud was too narrow for it. Seems I have an early Thing shroud. After some research I found the general consensus was to do away with the external cooler and install a doghouse cooler and fan shroud. Since I already have the 36mm fan I went ahead and ordered a compatible cooler and shroud to go with it.

Decided to run a compression test today and found 3 out of 4 holes were stripped. Borrowed the helicoil tap from a friend and ordered the correct inserts for the tool I borrowed.

Seats didn't have a slider and my granddaughter can't reach the pedals. I have some sliders I could adapt but saw a Yerf Dog roller on FB that had the high back seats with a slider on the drivers side so I snatched that up. Going to move the seats from that to the buggy and park the dog out in the maybe later pile. It's the two seater adult size kart so looks like a fun future build or may just steal the seats and flip it.
Scruffy Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member with a New 2 ME Sand Rail Reply with quote

Got my spark plug holes fixed and installed my new doghouse oil cooler.

The eBay seller I ordered the shroud from hasn't put it in the hands of the shipper yet. It really pisses me off when a seller does that. Ordered it the same day I ordered the cooler. Cooler is on the engine and the friggin shroud sits in California with me in FL.

Working to install the different seats. Having to cut some tabs off and weld on new or eliminate for the belts and slider adjuster.

Still need to run a brake tube for a throttle cable and get that connected. I guess I will mock that up with my old shroud. Can't run the engine enough to tune without the new shroud. I have the new tube and cable.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member with a New 2 ME Sand Rail Reply with quote

Scruffy Buggy wrote:
Now retired and refusing to grow up.

You are my kinda guy!

Scruffy Buggy wrote:
It needs rear tires which I am on the hunt for. It has 35x12.50-15 on it.

Oh wow! Those things have no business being on that Buggy! That will turn it into a 3 speed transmision with 1st too high in the yard and 4th not usable at all! Way too high geared! I am running 26" high tires, the same transaxle and it still hits over 75 mph on the open road in 4th gear!

Cut the sidewalls out of one side of those tires and make a pair of flower planters for the missus! All you will get out of them if you keep them is burnt clutches and an overheated engine!
Scruffy Buggy wrote:
Previous user said it didn't run or idle all that good... Stock carb had the shut off solenoid clipped

No it will not idle without the solenoid working.

Scruffy Buggy wrote:
It has an external oil cooler and a aftermarket dog house. To be honest I haven't looked close enough to see if it has an oil thermostat. How much extra oil should I add?

The stock dog house cooler is all you need. Just fill to the full line on the dipstick like normal.
Scruffy Buggy wrote:
I figure it will give me a start to teach the granddaughter how to drive a manual trans and some car control.

Excellent!!

[/quote]
Nice starter Buggy!
Scruffy Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member with a New 2 ME Sand Rail Reply with quote

Ordered a pair of 31x10.5-15 mud terrain tires. Should drop it a couple inches and fit the 15x8 wheels better.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-31X10-50-15-Roadone...2749.l2649

Damn eBay seller just shipped the doghouse shroud I ordered on the 22nd. Made a BS claim that UPS JUST picked it up. Funny no other sellers had that problem. The oil cooler I ordered on the same day and time from a different seller arrived on the 26th. If you are on the east coast I would think twice before ordering from aircooledhouzz.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member with a New 2 ME Sand Rail Reply with quote

This is what I have on mine. They are Quad tires. 31" is a whole lot better but still a bit tall for the open road and a stock 1600 but should work.

Scruffy Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member with a New 2 ME Sand Rail Reply with quote

My choice of tire size was dictated by the existing wheels.

This buggy has a 71 bus transaxle so the final drive should pull it. It will likely never leave my property or see 3rd gear.
Scruffy Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Member with a New 2 ME Sand Rail Reply with quote

Finally making some progress. Hit a little snafu with the trans but I think I have it sorted out now.

So far I've had to:
Replace fan, shroud, and oil cooler
Helicoil all the plug holes
replace the pushrods and valve adjusters
Replace rear tires
Pull nose cone on transmission and replace the shift ball
Replace intake boots
Rebuild Carb

Cleaning up wiring today. Not going to bother with full street legal right now.

Still Needed:
Install new seat belt harnesses
Replace axle Boots
May want to add front brakes

Link
[/youtube]
Scruffy Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member with a New 2 ME Sand Rail Reply with quote

First run around my gokart track in the Scruffy Buggy. GPS speedo app said I achieved a max speed of 31.8 MPH. I need to grade and widen the course for the buggy to have a little more run off room.

Link
[/youtube]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: