Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reversing engine swap?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reversing engine swap? Reply with quote

I have a 1970 single cab that was converted to a type IV engine. I don’t know of the condition of the engine but before I even get to that there are other issues that need to be addressed. The braking system was converted to the later style with discs up front and is missing several key components. The nose has rust on the inner bottom pieces. Lastly it was an out of state vehicle that I need to get registered in CA. To register I have to get it weighed and inspected, which consists of a brake check and signal lights.

Ideally I would like to do the braking system first and get that up to par so I can pass the inspection and get it registered. From there I’d like to get it into a body shop to repair the nose. I figured that while it’s at the body shop I could refurbish the type IV motor (assuming it’s decent) and swap it back to a type 1 motor I have in a ghia that is currently sitting.

Long story short; will the ghia engine be plug and play? By that I mean, if I need an engine carrier bar, will the ghia have one and be compatible? Will the wiring also be compatible? The ghia is a 74.

Is there anything else I need to consider or other parts I will need?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing engine swap? Reply with quote

If the case is not tapped for the rear carrier they sell a adapter that bolts to the oil pump, other than that the throw out bearing may need to be looked at. I would go to the inspection station and tell them what you have because of the age the type 4 may be ok it will just have to meet the emission standard for it's year.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing engine swap? Reply with quote

I guess I should have clarified a little more. I would be taking the engine and trans from the ghia to put in the truck. The type IV engine would remain in the truck during inspection but swapped before going to the body shop so I can work on the type IV.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing engine swap? Reply with quote

Hello,
Why go through all the hassle.
I don't think the ghia trans is the same as a bus trans.
And, they can push the SC around pretty easy without the weight of the engine in it.
Yet, it's your bus, full steam ahead boys...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing engine swap? Reply with quote

No Ghia transmission will fit a bay without drastic modification and adaptors, the type 4 also uses a longer input shaft so on top of the rear carrier you'll also have to deal with that, and as mentioned the clutch may or may not be compatible.
Sounds like work to me.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing engine swap? Reply with quote

It’s temporary and would allow me to use the truck while I work on the engine and allows me to get it to the body shop as well. I understand the type IV is a better engine, I just need to know if the reverse swap will be plug and play or if it will require a little or a lot of work.

If the ghia trans won’t work, I do have a 002 trans but it has a 091 bell housing and nose.

Last edited by ivwshane on Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing engine swap? Reply with quote

The trucks trans will have to be used with the Ghias motor but you will need the rear hanger adaptor to hang the motor (classifieds or ebay). 70 Bay used the type 1 so the Ghia may need its throw out bearing if the Trucks was changed for the type 4.

Last edited by Starbucket on Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing engine swap? Reply with quote

Thanks. What about wiring?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing engine swap? Reply with quote

You need to send me a PM because my carport will be empty tomorrow. Just finished a 1968 double cab
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing engine swap? Reply with quote

The tranny input shaft needs to fit the engine and not the bellhousing. You would need to swap in a Type 1 input shaft and then later when you put the Type 4 engine back in swap back to the Type 4 shaft as well.

Before going to all this work be sure that CARB is going to accept the Type 4 engine being in an earlier van.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Reversing engine swap? Reply with quote

I dont think a 70 gets smog checked by carb.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Reversing engine swap? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Thanks. What about wiring?

The wiring should be pretty much the same if the Ghia has a Alt. in now or now is a good time to up grade it, The trucks Alt./Gen. wires, Coil and wires to dist. and carb. from it, and oil pressure wire should all be there, any extra for the type 4 just label and tape off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: