Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia steering column parts list 1963
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Ghia steering column parts list 1963 Reply with quote

I'm diving into the restoration of my 63 Ghia vert and ran into another issue. I wanted to paint my steering column and steering tube to clean it up. I disconnected the steering column from the linkage under the fuel tank and pulled the tube and column out from the firewall into the car and removed them together. I ended up with my column and tube and tried to separate them, but they wouldn't separate, After yanking it, the bearings exploded and parts flew everywhere including all the ball bearings.

I guess I blew up the bearing that sits in the steer tube, so looking for a clear pic of all of the parts needed for my 63 Ghia from the steering wheel nut down. I believe I'm missing the plastic washer and will need a new bearing and not sure what else if anything.

I looked at the big Ghia parts list book, but couldn't seem to make sense out of it. Will the bearing kit sold on Wolfsburg West or other resellers fit the Ghia? They are listed as bug parts. Looks like that bearing is tapped into the top of the steer tube then the other parts are mounted on the column and dropped into the tube through the bearing.

Is that correct? Any recommendations on the bearing replacement and does anyone have the part number for the plastic washer?

Thanks in advance.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia steering column parts list 1963 Reply with quote

Big Mike Cbad wrote:
Will the bearing kit sold on Wolfsburg West or other resellers fit the Ghia? They are listed as bug parts. Looks like that bearing is tapped into the top of the steer tube then the other parts are mounted on the column and dropped into the tube through the bearing.

Is that correct? Any recommendations on the bearing replacement and does anyone have the part number for the plastic washer?

The Beetle will have the same steering wheel arrangement as the Ghia for the given model year. The bearing at the top of the column is gently inserted as a press fit. Use a rubber mallet to tap it in position. The shaft drops though the bearing as you say. The column is insulated from the car at the clamp, and the fire wall and with a button-like buffer halfway between on the flat section above your knees.
Shopping list:
Bearing
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113415585A
Washer
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113415593A
Buffer (the button like one is also used on the Bus as a bumpstop)
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211881895
Lower Grommet
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111415607
Upper buffer
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111415603
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia steering column parts list 1963 Reply with quote

Thank you as always. Is there a specific washer or spacer that goes between the nut for the steering wheel and the turn signal indictor above the circlip? The pics I see look like there is.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia steering column parts list 1963 Reply with quote

If you put the bearing in the freezer over night it will drop in if you don't handle it too long as it will start to expand.
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia steering column parts list 1963 Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: