Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

412 Tie Rod Ends?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: 412 Tie Rod Ends? Reply with quote

So the boots on my tie rod ends are torn, and I'd like to replace all of them at once. Be nice if I could order and have them here before taking it apart.

It looks like the inners are available from a Type 3 -

311 415 811C is left hand threads
311 415 812C is right hand threads.

I'm at a loss for the outer ends, or are they the same?
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 Tie Rod Ends? Reply with quote

greggearhead wrote:
So the boots on my tie rod ends are torn, and I'd like to replace all of them at once. Be nice if I could order and have them here before taking it apart.

It looks like the inners are available from a Type 3 -

311 415 811C is left hand threads
311 415 812C is right hand threads.

I'm at a loss for the outer ends, or are they the same?

Yes...but not exactly the same as type 3 in position.

According to the parts book:

For 411/412...both OUTER tie rod ends are 311 415 811 C - straight with left hand thread

Both inner tie rods are 311 415 818 B- angled 9 degrees and right hand thread.

This a three page thread I posted in the type 3 forum some time back about tie rod ends and part numbers for type 3 and type 4.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Here are the parts list:
The outers are the same and the inners are the same

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 412 Tie Rod Ends? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Just an update. West Coast Metric still has these German made 9 degree ends for the center link. These are mine I just received. Look like quality. Part # 311 415 818 B.

Bill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 412 Tie Rod Ends? Reply with quote

At this age.....I would clean them out....and regrease them.... before using.

Grease does not last through the agea. It breaks down and turns acidic. Bad for lubrication and bad for the nylon shell inside.

You can remove the boot.....and with gloves on.....submerge the joint in a cup full of MEK. Put a piece of copper tubing over the stub to make a handle and work the joimt around in all directions until the fluid pumping in and out the edges around the ball comes clean.

Yes it will take the paint off. Then heat the joint with a blow dryer.... and then blow the joint with compressed air while moving the joint around. This will get all the MEK out. MEK will not hurt the nylon inside.

To regrease it....and I have a sketch posted probajly in my tie rod thread.....take a 3" long x 3/4" diameter pipe nipple with a cap on one end...and a grease nipple in the middle. Fill the pipe up with grease. Fit it ovsr the stud and seal it to the face of the joint. Use a C clamp to hold it tight. Pump the grease fitting. This will pressure fill the joint.

Use either a synthetic like super lube.....or coastal moly-graph.....or MDS paste. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: