Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjh58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Hi all

I ordered new Go Westy wiper arms and the fancy Bosch wiper blades. Unfortunately the wiper arms do not fit any wiper blades. I contacted GoWesty and after a very frustrating back and forth they tested them in house and confirmed that they dont fit. The wiper arms are too big to accept any blades. I need new wiper arms as mine were stripped inside. Apparently GoWesty sources these from somewhere else.

Does anyone know where to buy new wiper arms?

Thanks for the info.

Rob
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Here ya go. Just went through this with the arms.
Brickwerks T3 in the UK has original VW for 20.65gbp
Order on Monday receive by Friday.
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/body/t3-washers-and-wipers/wiper-arm-t3-front-lhd.html

I do not fully fault GoWesty on this as they will stand behind their product they sell. They found a less expensive alternate arm originally from "Classic Line" I think from Denmark, distributed by Pacific International. Nobody along the supply line checked the size where it fits the blades.
I think however there might be blades with a mount that will fit two sizes, but I'm not going out to check which ones they are.

OEM VW Markings. Brickwerks is on the bottom.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW OEM has full paint. Classic Line's does not.

Alignment in pic is not exact, but you can see the aftermarket has a different angle where the blade mounts. Not really a big deal as you can bend it for less pressure on the blades.

OEM on the right side. The difference in size is apparent.

VW OEM is on the bottom. The rivit holding the arm to the base is on the GoWesty alternate arm from "Classic Line" The length does not look to be the same, but this is only caused by the arms being side by side

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
rjh58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Awesome.

Thanks for the tip. New arms ordered.

Rob
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Here ya go.

Really informative post! Brickwerks is a great vendor.

I had the fancy bosch blades and found that they wouldn't contact the full windshield. I tried bending the arms slightly but it didn't make much difference.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Here ya go.

Really informative post! Brickwerks is a great vendor.

I had the fancy bosch blades and found that they wouldn't contact the full windshield. I tried bending the arms slightly but it didn't make much difference.

In the Bentley it shows where to bend the wiper arms to get the angle of the rubber blade 90° perpendicular to the glass. That doesn't help you with your full contact problem, but thought I'd throw it in anyway! 😁

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

The blade arm mounts on a tapered and splined shaft.

The splines grip the metal as the nut forces the arm onto the taper. A hybrid friction/mechanical connection

If they wear too much, go to your local hardware store and pickup a package of shim stock, ACE often carries it.

Shim stock is sheets of extremely thin metal.

Cut a narrow strip or two and hold it in the arm's hole as you put it on the shaft.
Push it firmly on and trim off the excess. Put your nut on and gently tighten.

This should buy you a few years of service if you are vigilant and do NOT let the blades EVER freeze to the glass!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

This should buy you a few years of service if you are vigilant and do NOT let the blades EVER freeze to the glass!

Dave

Or let wet heavy snow push them down.... btdt. Always pull the wiper arms out perpendicular to the windshield when heavy snow is coming.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Terrific, thorough review, Steve - thanks!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

If they wear too much, go to your local hardware store and pickup a package of shim stock, ACE often carries it.

Shim stock is sheets of extremely thin metal.

Cut a narrow strip or two and hold it in the arm's hole as you put it on the shaft.
Push it firmly on and trim off the excess. Put your nut on and gently tighten.

Dave

If you cannot find any "real" shim stock, aluminum foil might also work. I would fold it over to make it two layers and cut it to fit.
You want to clean the splines real good. A metal pick works, a box cutter razor knife works too.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Terrific, thorough review, Steve - thanks!

Thanks!

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Thread has me thinking I should check the arms the Wife gave to me for Christmas. Same Classic Line, but mine look the same/similar as the oem.
Even measured the wiper ends and they are within .1mm of each other and I had no problem with the blade fitting. They were purchased from Bus Depot.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Now ya got me thinking too much!

Just measured the OEM from Brickwerks - 8.76mm.
And measured the GoWesty alternates - 9.07mm.

Just enough to create a non-fit situation if the blades are a tight tolerance.

It is definitely possible that something happened to change the thickness between batches coming out of Classic Line.

Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Forum; I'm having trouble knowing if we're talking about the wiper arm to conical drive post, or Blade to Arm fit...or is it just me...?

Steve; If you're talking about the wiper arm to drive post conical fit...it seems to me that from 8.76 to 9.07 is not that much...just tightening the securing nut should be able to handle that minor difference...but if not, the shim idea would help too.

Cheers
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Ronzo_volvo_guy wrote:
Forum; I'm having trouble knowing if we're talking about the wiper arm to conical drive post, or Blade to Arm fit...or is it just me...?

Steve; If you're talking about the wiper arm to drive post conical fit...it seems to me that from 8.76 to 9.07 is not that much...just tightening the securing nut should be able to handle that minor difference...but if not, the shim idea would help too.

Cheers

No, this is what the problem is that the original poster has and me too!

The OEM VW part is on the right and the aftermarket is on the left. The wiper blades do not fit into the aftermarket arm.

The conical shaft area are the same and a press on fit to force the splines mating shape into the arm.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

although total bullshit 2 seconds on a belt sander would zap them down to the correct width at the wiper installation point then you'd need to paint or touch up what was ground down.

just more aftermarket disappointment i guess Confused

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

...got it...I would call that the Wiper Arm to Blade pivot...

...and don't take this wrong, but before anyone is tempted to "zap them down to the correct width on a belt sander", note that the part marked in Yellow is a separate plastic insert, typically included with "multi-fit" blades (along with a bunch of other Arm adapters, to allow them to play with other Wiper Arm styles). Since the left arm is already wide enough, I suggest fitting into the Arm pivot without that piece, or with an interface piece which does not have those yellow protrusions...or maybe even just "zap" those protrusion away on the little plastic adapter (no touch up required!).

Cheers
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Most arms can be salvaged. This striping issue is over a half century old. Old German car mechanics knowwhat to do.

Clean grooves on car body with a pick.
Get washers to space so the nut does not bottom out.
In bad cases use a hammer and punch to narrow the cone.

I bet this is described some where many decades ago some where.

This is a classic problem....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Ronzo_volvo_guy wrote:
note that the part marked in Yellow is a separate plastic insert, typically included with "multi-fit" blades

Yep, I agree. It usually just unsnaps with a plastic detent.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor Quality Go Westy Wiper Arms. Any other source? Reply with quote

Ronzo_volvo_guy wrote:
...got it...I would call that the Wiper Arm to Blade pivot...

...and don't take this wrong, but before anyone is tempted to "zap them down to the correct width on a belt sander", note that the part marked in Yellow is a separate plastic insert, typically included with "multi-fit" blades (along with a bunch of other Arm adapters, to allow them to play with other Wiper Arm styles). Since the left arm is already wide enough, I suggest fitting into the Arm pivot without that piece, or with an interface piece which does not have those yellow protrusions...or maybe even just "zap" those protrusion away on the little plastic adapter (no touch up required!).

Cheers

That of course was the first thing I did. Without the insert in there the blade was not going to stay on the arm . All the "fitting bits" get thrown away when the blade goes on.
If I had a new blade that came with all the little "fitting bits" it probably would not be a problem. Being too cheap I was not about to go find a new blade when my old one is still working great.

Still, the original wiper arm because of it's narrower width gives you the option of being able to fit an adaptable blade with the fittings.
If you just have the wider arm then your stuck with the one size option.

Is it a big deal? Not really because at some point you need new blades and you're going to find ones that fit. At the time you're putting this new arm on and you get all finished and try to put your old blade on your looking at having to run out again to the store so it's wtf grumble grumble grumble more $$$... Of course it raining as your finishing the job!

You can make the old arms work as been stated by cleaning the splines and adding a washer under the nut if you do not mind old faded, chipped paint arms. You could go to the hassle of cleaning the old paint and repainting them when these were nice new painted one that look great...at least until a bird craps on it 😁

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: