Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Good question, Dave! I measured the original tunnel tar board material and it's 1/8" thick. The floorboard mats are 0.5" thick. Scott Taylor recommended the Design Engineering Thick Damping Material #050230 because it's close to the same texture, is easily cut & formed to compound surfaces, and is a bit more than 1/16" thick. He says it out-performs the original material & should be fine. I found it on Amazon for $58 (24x54) but found I'm going to need two to adequately cover the tunnel & chassis VIN plate areas.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Lee Hedges on Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

With the topside of the chassis completed I installed the front seats to get an idea of what the ice blue vinyl & blue cloth would look like inside.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
Good question, Dave! I measured the original tunnel tar board material and it's 1/8" thick. The floorboard mats are 0.5" thick. Scott Taylor recommended the Design Engineering Thick Damping Material #050230 because it's close to the same texture, is easily cut & formed to compound surfaces, and is a bit more than 1/16" thick. He says it out-performs the original material & should be fine. I found it on Amazon for $58 (24x54) but found I'm going to need two to adequately cover the tunnel & chassis VIN plate areas.

I'm at this stage in my build as well.

Was thinking it might be prudent to trim the tarboard insulation to match factory.

Digging for pics of this are is a bit tough, and few take pictures of this area.

I do have this one i took of pan insulation parts on my '67:

Wonder is anyone has more of these pictures?

What’s That Noise?!?
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Fortunately I've been working with other early T34 owners along this process to get references. In this situation I was able to get detailed images from Scott Taylor's uber-restored 1963 T34 Coupe. He documented the insulation for the tunnel, both sides. Those with your great pic will definitely help me cut the insulation pieces to closely match the originals. Sad that only the panels under the rear seat will ever be seen, as the tunnel is covered with carpet.
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

FYI Lee the DEI Heavy Duty Damping Material I used (50230) is different from the DEI Moldable Noise Barrier (50103) you posted the Amazon ad for. I don't have any experience with the latter material, but I can vouch for 50230. It's good stuff.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Either way. This looks great. Love the attention to these details guys. Cant wait to see all of them - well I do get to see Lees since he lives 20 min away. But Clatter and Scott - love the restos brothers.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

I fixed the wrong DEI part number ad. Sorry for the confusion. I ordered another one today (2nd) for $64 to have enough to complete the tunnel area.
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Flipped the chassis over to the bottom and (based on Pedro's advice) added two coats of glossy black enamel. Next will be cutting the tarboard panels for the tunnel.
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Over the weekend Francisco applied the first paint. Sea Blue L360.2 is the lighter & greener version of Sea Blue. Single-stage enamel was purchased at TCP Global in San Diego for about $185/gallon and two gallons were needed to apply four coats. The interior areas will be done first, then the roof in Blue-White (in a day or so), then the exterior (in a week or two). The camera did not accurately capture the Sea Blue color, instead these pics are a bit more green.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Really starting to come together!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

this is very nice Cool
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
Over the weekend Francisco applied the first paint. Sea Blue L360.2 is the lighter & greener version of Sea Blue. Single-stage enamel was purchased at TCP Global in San Diego for about $185/gallon and two gallons were needed to apply four coats. The interior areas will be done first, then the roof in Blue-White (in a day or so), then the exterior (in a week or two). The camera did not accurately capture the Sea Blue color, instead these pics are a bit more green.

That Sea Blue#2 is a royal PIA to paint, as it changes color with the light. BTDT. While I love the color, I really hated spraying it.
Yours definitely looks good. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Spent a few days installing the insulation boards from Design Engineering #050230 onto the tunnel & rear seat wells. It cuts easily with a razorblade, scoring & bending the pieces to be cut. I used a roller to pressure the tarboard onto the metal. And it sticks really well but it tore in several places when readjusting the pieces. Overall it went on well & I'm happy with the results. The tunnel will be completely covered by carpet. The areas underneath the rear seat will only be visible when the rear seat is removed.
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

must be nice to build on such a neat chassis Cool
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Restoring a T34 from the frame-off is a daunting experience that is not for everyone. If I could have bought this 1962 complete & together I would never had separated it. But it came to me completely disassembled, stripped, & parts in 1000 different places over a decade before I bought it.
Having Pedro, Jack, & Eric as amigos going through similar restorations is a real gift. These guys are the most knowledgeable on early Type 3s & have so much hands-on experience. They are always willing to volunteer their time, advice, & parts to keep the project moving forward. It also means they do not allow half-assed restoration work, which slows down the progress.

Today, for instance was reinstalling the rotary heater system. Should be easy, right? Well the parts are NLA & NOS are ridiculously expensive, so it took two years to find the rubber Anthracite collar/bib & the NOS red dot knob. But once the parts have been found, installing new parts on a clean chassis is the fun part.

Working this build step-by-step has been an unforgettable experience. And this particular T34, the oldest survivor in the world, is worth restoring. So I'm committed to finishing it & giving my best effort.
veltror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

This is a fantastic thread. Keep up the good work Sir!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Yeah, Pedro and Jack being close by IS a big help. Pedro having just done 2 type 34's is also a big help, as he knows the cars, and is familiar with them and their little quirks.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Yeah, Pedro and Jack being close by IS a big help. Pedro having just done 2 type 34's is also a big help, as he knows the cars, and is familiar with them and their little quirks.

He's the Type 34 Guru Wink Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Inspiring, Lee--really nice job!

This car is definitely worth the effort and I can't wait to see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: San Diego Nov61 T34 #0 001 200 Reply with quote

Next step on the chassis resto was the long gearshift bar & shift assembly. This long metal bar is purposefully bent to get around the other components in the tunnel. Removing the old gearshift coupler allowed the tube to be pulled-out through the front access hole. I cleaned & sanded-down the shaft then applied grease for a smooth fit. The new nylon bushing & clip as well as the new coupler came from Wolfsburg West. Pedro came by for the installation. The bushing with clip was pushed into the L-bracket inside the tunnel by hand. Then the long tube was inserted at the front & aligned with the hole, sliding easily down to the rear. Next was to install the gearshift lever, lubricated for smooth action. The 1962 Sea Blue cars had Satin Blue rubber parts for the gearshift lever & ebrake boot, and the gearshift knob is the solid ivory one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: