Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb bolts
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Carb bolts Reply with quote

1974 1303 carb h30/31

Anyone got a good tip or tool to remove and install the nasty bolt at the hard to reach bolt at the carb base to the engine? ( nearest one to firewall).
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

Go to your local pawn shop scout out a 13mm wrench. Take it home heat it up and bend it. That is what I had to do.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

Get a set of S-shaped box wrenches or C-shaped. The factory nut there (not bolt, there are two downward pointing studs on the carburetor) takes a 13mm wrench (12mm if someone used JIS/Japanese nut).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-metric-s-typ...usQAvD_BwE
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

Get a bent 13mm like the one in the center of this photo. I bought this one at a VW shop, but you can also heat and bend an old wrench.
These guys have it. https://www.bughaus.com/tools.htm

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle

Last edited by Q-Dog on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

I use a GearWrench 13mm Stubby for that (and lots of other fasteners).

The short pattern might even prevent you from over tightening those nuts and yanking the studs right out of the carb body.

It is a very useful tool, and you can't have too many tools.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I use a GearWrench 13mm Stubby for that (and lots of other fasteners).

It is a very useful tool, and you can't have too many tools.

I like it. I have a stubby combination wrench set from HF, but somehow lost my 13mm size. I bought a very cheap 13mm combination wrench somewhere and hacksawed it shorter.

I've also ground the heads narrower on cheap 11mm, 12mm, and 13mm wrenches for more clearance. I use 11mm for my brass exhaust nuts, and 12mm for JIS nuts and on my Mazda and Frontier trucks.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

my favorite is the L-hazet. Smile
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

I've never needed nor used a "bent" wrench for this. Really, just a normal combination wrench is all I've ever used, (and I've changed out a rather large amount of carburetors over the years) I even prefer it to a GearWrench, because those have a thicker footprint. Also, as long as the threads aren't all filthy, the wrench is only needed for the final turn or so to or from tight, otherwise, they can be spun by hand.

And I said nut. These are NUTS, not bolts.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
getsdown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

take your distributor cap off and use a regular wrench.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

I’d have to lean towards using those tools which I know make the job easier. To be fair you probably can get away with using ordinary combination wrench on the early VWs but it’s way more cramped on 1600s and dual ports worse.

Not mentioned yet but these purpose built wrench’s also are a great thing to have when doing muffler and heater box R and R. People also don’t think about using 1/4 drive tools to get in these tight places. Make the small investment in a proper tools you won’t regret it. The Sears craftsman wrench in the pic were all purchased for a dollar or less and we bent them using a torch. so why not have one or two? How often do you see people struggling to get things done and when shown the tooling suddenly it all makes sense.

This is a gear wrench with twisted handle. Gets into tight spots, gives more leverage because your hand gets a broader area to apply force. It could be modified like the others. Take the Pepsi challenge try it using a regular straight wrench then try it using the bent wrench then decide how often you’ll use it and is it worth a dollar. 😀

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

Remove that front nut first, so that the rear one stays tight. If the threads are in good shape, you can just spin it off. If you do the rear one first, you'll wrestle the front nut unnecessarily longer with a wrench. I've always just popped off the distributor cap and easily gotten in there with regular wrench.

Some wrench brands are indeed chunkier, so finding a slimmer or "S"-shaped one may be even easier.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’d have to lean towards using those tools which I know make the job easier. To be fair you probably can get away with using ordinary combination wrench on the early VWs but it’s way more cramped on 1600s and dual ports worse.

Oh, I dunno. I've never had a problem with a normal combo wrench on the 1600DP manifold on my Baja bug. Yeah, the distributor cap needs to be out of the way, but heck, I just grabbed a fairly hefty 6-point Craftsman combination 13mm wrench and threw it on the front nut on my Baja and it's fine. (I'd rather have a 12-point but that was the first 13mm combo in my toolbox)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

I used a 1/4 drive universal joint and a 1/4 drive 13mm problem solved surprised no one suggested that yet. I don’t modify tools if I don’t have too it bothers me having something imperfect in my box. Smile
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

Once upon a time I had access to a machine shop with heat treating and plating capabilities. You would be amazed at the custom and one off tools we could make. Snap On and the others will pay you if you have an idea for a tool and they can market that idea. Don’t hesitate to modify, it makes life easier for everyone.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb bolts Reply with quote

... and if still stock on 1960 and earlier vehicles it's a 14mm wrench that's needed.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: