Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

Need some help finding a clean photo of a proper unmolested rear seat, kick panel area sheet metal area where the heating vents come out for a early 60's Ghia vert. Mine was chopped out by the PO in an effort to do a floor pan repair without taking the body off. He chopped out the middle section you see in primer. I am restoring the car and will be welding in that piece, but you can see in the photos the bottom rim of the metal in both the RED and Primer area are chopped up so need a clean pic of what that sheet metal should look like to help when we fabricate it back in. Looked all over and could not find a pic of the sheet metal without carpet, etc. I'd appreciate an images folks have to provide to the metal shop doing the work so they can see what that should look like.

Thanks as always, the Samba expertise has been a life saver.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

Big Mike Cbad wrote:
Looked all over and could not find a pic of the sheet metal without carpet

OK, here you go. This is the rear seat area of my '67, which should be the same as your '63.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

perfect thank you. It will definitely help.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

You know you can get those here...
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=...dukte.html

Look for part #SALV 200 euro, then #FBR2 and#FBL2
100 euro each.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

Thanks for the vendor info. It is really helpful. As an example I was looking for that rear shelf where the top sits (see pic below) and couldn't find anyone selling the metal. Bought a donor part, but would have loved to buy new sheet metal had I known. You are a great resource for Ghia newbies like me. Thanks for the link.

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
You know you can get those here...
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=...dukte.html

Look for part #SALV 200 euro, then #FBR2 and#FBL2
100 euro each.

Nicholas

I bought those rear kick panels from W.B., and every single dimension was so far off, that they were unusable. The height was too tall making it impossible to fit between the crossbeam and floorpan, the width was too wide making it impossible to fit between the center tunnel and heater channel, and the bends on the heater channel side weren't remotely close, and looked like they had been made by an amateur. And worst of all, the hole for the heater vent was off by well over an inch.
I know aftermarket sheet metal always needs modification, but this piece was so far off in every aspect that it was useless. I literally threw it in the trash. I ended up finding original kick panels from a donor car in the classifieds that was being parted out for about half the price, that fit perfectly.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Always helpful to learn what's available and how the quality is. Luckily for me, someone on Samba spotted that donor shelf after I put out a post on it. Had they not found that, it would have cost a mint to fab that from scratch or buy the sheet metal and still have to do a bunch of work on it, but good to know sheet metal is available in a pinch. For the kick plates I'm going to have the metal shop fill in the missing bit near the heater channels since the rest is there and its covered with carpet anyway.

The Samba family has been an incredible help the last year or so since starting my project. This 63 vert project was a bit more than I was expecting!
Drahthaar117
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

I am in need of the convertible shelf for a 67 convertible if any body has one for sale. Thanks
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

Hi there, keep looking in the classified section for folks selling parts of the car they are cutting up because it happens a fair amount. Also there are some resellers of new sheet metal if you dig around so in a pinch its an option, but expensive. The guy in Germany does re-pop pieces but the shipping was outrageous since he had to pay some sort of export cost. Hope you can find it.
Drahthaar117
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

yes i seen that link and i figured would be expensive to ship. same thing happened as posted above someone cut out the shelf. i will keep checking classifieds thanks.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2504971
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

I wish I had seen this thread before buying these parts, absolutely brutal for the price he charges for them.

Wagner in Germany.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

Chad M wrote:

I wish I had seen this thread before buying these parts, absolutely brutal for the price he charges for them.

Wagner in Germany.

I would be embarrassed to sell those.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

The sad thing is, looking back at the website, I can see how crafty they were with their photography.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

Wow! That is really poor work. The way these are represented on his website is totally misleading. Dishonest in fact.

Nicholas

Last edited by sputnick60 on Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

Chad M wrote:

Wagner in Germany.

That's exactly what the one I bought looked like. Have you tried fitting it into position? The one I got was so far off in every aspect that there was just no way, as I described above. Basically you just spent a load of money for scrap metal.

I will say the early battery tray I got from Wagner fit pretty well and was well made. However the crude amateur quality of this kick panel is why I've stopped recommending his site to people.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
That's exactly what the one I bought looked like. Have you tried fitting it into position? The one I got was so far off in every aspect that there was just no way, as I described above. Basically you just spent a load of money for scrap metal.

I will say the early battery tray I got from Wagner fit pretty well and was well made. However the crude amateur quality of this kick panel is why I've stopped recommending his site to people.

I haven't checked the fit yet, I'm a ways off from reuniting the body to the pan.

I will say that the other piece of sheet metal (rear left body to pan flange, ie: shift linkage cover to the end of the heater channel) I got from Wagner looks great, well formed with crisp stampings.

I may spend some time to see if I can finish those pieces a little better, I can't stand the idea of tossing them in the bin and the price of return shipping is more that the parts, if you can believe that!
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

I made my own but they don't look any better. You may have to flatten around the circle a bit. That said I'd be upset if I paid significant money for that.

You can't see them when the car is done.

Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

How do those panels even fit? Are they welded to the seat support or are they just slipped into place, maybe screwed?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia convertible sheet metal, rear kick plate area, need image Reply with quote

Yes welded in.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: