Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

So I am planning on running standard Brad Penn 10w30 on break-in.
I was at the auto parts store today and noticed the Lucas additive with zddp for older cars. Should I buy some to add on my break-in run?
There is SOOOO much info in the oil topic about additives, break-in oil, etc I’m completely confused at this point. I’m on the east coast and temps are around 50 degrees right now. Hmmm
Do I just “run what I brung” and break it in with the Penn 10w30?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989

Last edited by 67 Sunroof on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

I still have some of the GM EOS additive and add some for the initial breakin. But once i'm done with the cam, I drain the oil and just refill with nothing extra so the rings breakin.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

If you have Brad Penn Break-in oil, I would not add anything.

However, I have never seen 10W-30 Brad Penn “Break-in” oil. I have only seen/bought 30W Break-In oil

Brad Penn does sell 10W-30 oil, but it’s not break-in oil...

I could be wrong, but even in a google search only 30W Break-in oil appears

Last edited by txoval on Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

I have had really good luck with Amsoil straight 30wt break-in, and the provided cam paste. I used to use the Brad Penn break-in with no problems. I never added anything.

Brian
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

I said BP 10w30 oil on break in.
NOT break in oil. It is just the standard oil which makes me think I may need to add something else upon break in.
I actually have a neighbor who is an amsoil rep. Maybe I should just go with the amsoil 30 break in oil for the first run of 20 min.?
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

Oops, sorry. Obviously read that too fast.

I’d buy the Brad Penn Break-in oil and save regular for the next fill...

Damn, did it again...edit. Yes, if your neighbor can help with Amsoil Break-in, go that route
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

I’ve used this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

Ok shot him a text for 5 quarts then!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

I'm honestly thinking of doing the same. I bought a full case of the normal 10w30 BP engine oil, so I figured I'd just use that but now I changed my mind and figure I may as well buy some break oil. I have enough invested might as well not risk botching the job over something silly.

Also, the oil changes never end... so the stuff I already have will get used eventually regardless.

Initially I was a little torn because I thought multi weight oil was superior in general but then someone brought up a good point about detergents. Got me thinking and reading about the fact that having friction modifiers and other additives can be bad for ring seating, etc.

That's just my thinking anyway. I'm no chemist.

BTW I just noticed Joe Gibbs and Motul both sell a few multi-weight break in oils for who ever that may interest.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

Test your LM-2 on something before you start your engine. I am having issues with it reading RPM.

It might of been the car I was working on but it would not read when set up like they say. I read several pages in the web saying the amp clamp has been an issue for them.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

Awwww maaaaan! I’ll mess with it when I get home from work today. Thanks for the heads up!!!
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

Brad Penn (PennGrade) Oil requires no additional additive as it has 1500 PPM ZDDP. Their break in oil is SAE 30Wt. A good point was made by a rep from Penn Grade Hi Performance oil during a webinar that I sat in on: "If you have to buy additive for your oil, then you bought the wrong oil." Also, adding additives to oil can and does throw off the chemical structure of the other "packs" (detergent, friction modifiers, etc) that are engineered into said oil.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

I would add some of the rislone zddp to the first oil.then none after. I have never used breakin oil. never will.I just use dino oil.lots of it. 4~5 oil& filter changes the first week to get all the cam lube filter cloging& any other dibris out.and not bypas the filter and fuck up the bearings by tring to save a few dollars on oil&filters.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

c77owen wrote:
Brad Penn (PennGrade) Oil requires no additional additive as it has 1500 PPM ZDDP. Their break in oil is SAE 30Wt. A good point was made by a rep from Penn Grade Hi Performance oil during a webinar that I sat in on: "If you have to buy additive for your oil, then you bought the wrong oil." Also, adding additives to oil can and does throw off the chemical structure of the other "packs" (detergent, friction modifiers, etc) that are engineered into said oil.

So why do they have break in oil? Is it marketing bs?
1500 zddp for 10w30 semi synthetic oil?
Is that listed on their site?

Ok I’m back. PG-1 is the green oil semi synthetic 1600 zinc and 1500 phos.
It is recommended to use the break in oil because it has less zinc and phos for break in. Run it for 20 min and dump it. Then run the PG-1 green oil.
I called the tech line and the man was very helpful.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

I'm with Mark. Maybe add some zinc on the cam breakin and an extra quart to keep the cam submerged and lubricated at all times. Drain and forget about the zinc forever after.

Don't much care for brand, I have used wal mart oil before with the added zinc for the 15 min breakin, it goes bye bye after. Then I use a 15-40 diesel engine oil which shall remain nameless. Yes I am aware it does not have the zinc. Has been great to me.

Clean oil is the best oil. Change filter. Oil changed every 3 k miles. No black magic here.

Daily car. Kind of. Been driving the '73 Dart lately. It also uses the nameless diesel oil. Motorcraft filter for a Ford. Great stuff. I'm no purist.

Maybe those who run insane spring pressures have had issues, I hever have with my normal springs and stockish cams.

I am surprised this isn't locked yet.

-Frank
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

Well, we shall leave it at this (in before the lock😂)
I purchased the Amsoil 30wt break in oil and plan on running it 20 minutes at 2,000 rpm’s. Dump that high dollar oil. Let it cool. Do my valves and fill it up with the Brad Penn oil.
We shall see!!
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

I wish I could buy any of the stuff you're mentioning locally...-sigh-
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

@FreeBug; i am in the same situation that you are, i dont have many options available locally in Sweden, but i found ato24.de, they have a huge selection of oil, i bought my Amsoil break in oil from them at a very reasonably cost/quart. and shipping charges were reasonable as well. Just a tip.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

Summit Racing has Penn Grade and shipping is reasonable and fast.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on Wednesday-break-in oil question Reply with quote

For us poor europeans shipping from US is unfortunately not really an option, i would think 100-120 USD for shipping a box of 12qts to Sweden.

I am very envious of your selection of oils, i dont know how many hours i have scoured the web to try to find good, but still reasonably priced oil here....

I can get Brad Penn here in most viscosities, but they are about 25USD/qt, and with dry sump running 8-10qts it adds up fast
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: