Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volkomen Strasse
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Volkomen Strasse Reply with quote

When i was 15 (1985) a friend of the family offered to take me to my first VW show in Huntington Beach (CA) it was the Small Car Specialties "Show for Gold". He was a Riverside County member of Volkomen Strasse and i was fortunate to be able to hang with those guys for a couple of years. Does anyone have any pictures, stories or was in that club? Either the Riverside or L.A. Chapter.
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt K. Holy shite , dude. I was in Hemet during those years, and there were a couple of Volkmen dudes around. Used to hang at the Stater Bros. parking lot on the weekends. That was a long time ago, and I can't remember any names, but what great times. My crew always had ratty buses, and the guys with the shiny bling would look down on us. The buses were just cars to us then...wish I still had some of those ratty death-traps now! Laughing

We used to have drags out on Fairview(?), and there was this powder blue Volkmen bug that would kick all the Chevy ass in town. This dude Jamie had a '69 Chevelle, and he must have spent 10Gs on the engine to try and kick that bugs ass. When the guy gunned it, the entire frame would twist, and it would almost pull the front wheels off the ground.

The bug would school him most of the time, but it was close. The bug owner, Pete?, Phil?, shit, I can't remember, he drove that sucker to high school on Monday morning.

We always thought the Volkmen guys from riverside were hard!

Thanks for the memories!

These are from somewhere around '88.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small world...The blue bug owners name is Glenn i used to work with him. The car is long gone but the motor still exists. The Riverside County president was Tony Barazza He drove a grey primered shark nosed square, the vice was Bill Schug he drove a yellow square. The hang out was Stater's and drag racing on Fairview and Warren Rd.
Classic Boy Toys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkomen Strasse Reply with quote

Hey there! It's now near the end of 2020 and I came across your post from 2012 about Volkomen Strasse. I'm intending to set the story right for future reference and readers. My name is Eric Cano- I founded Volkomen Strasse VW Club in Costa Mesa, Ca. In HS (1982) along with my buddies (Jim Keller, Tim Rushmore, Scott Fullerton, Gary Frie...along with some friends from San Clemente, Orange and Huntington Beach) we were probably 16yo to 21yo at the time. We hosted and ran the California Caravan to Sacramento CA and countless other VW races, rallys, club meetings, car shows and Community service events. Our cars were all very clean and tricked out. Many people tried to say they were in our club but ONLY ones with the name written on the rear window were actually in the club. *** Sorry*** We never had a LA Chapter and the names you mentioned, I've NEVER heard of. No disrespect. Just saying. Best!
Vwsoulja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkomen Strasse Reply with quote

There needs to be yet another correction. Sorry you all have been misinformed. Although the Orange County Chapter is the original chapter of Volkomen Strasse, there was in fact a Los Angeles Chapter. It was formed 5/1988. Permission was granted to our LA Chapter founders Doc King and Grayland Jones who were both members of the OC Chapter. The LA Chapter formation was approved by your president at that time. In addition two of your members Tony and Johnny loyarte twin brothers left Orange County to join the Los Angeles County chapter. My name is Don Williams. I was one of the presidents of the Los Angeles chapter. Our chapter started May 1988. We hosted the Jamboree VW Show put on by Al Martinez. We were the host club for the Jamboree for 3 years. We are still active to this day. Not sure when the original president of Orange county stepped down but this is the most current information. If anyone has any questions please feel free to give me a call 562-246-4036 In addition to the Los Angeles chapter there was also a Pasadena and a San Fernando valley chapter. So Eric or anybody else if you want to meet the Los Angeles chapter of Volkomen Strauss, we will be at Prado VW Show this year. Come check us out.✌🏾
Notty's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Volkomen Strasse Reply with quote

Just to add my .02, I was an officer in the Pasadena Chapter under Wiley Harris (RIP) who I believe was originally in the LA chapter. Around '92-'93 we were a thing. Benjamin Brown, Alan Dixon, Dimetri Duncan, Andrew Brown, Omar Morrison and myself, James Shafer were the officers.
'64 Kombi Bus
'65 sunroof Notch
'12 CC
'10 Jetta Wolfy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: