Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

goldtooth wrote:
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback on the trip. With as much interaction I get with these posts (which is surprisingly not very much), I am not sure I will take the time to continue to write these up. Not whining just not sure it's worth the time.

I don't typically comment, but I really enjoy these types of posts.
my favorite images

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

As a PNW guy who is currently border-locked as a result of the pandemic, I have been living/traveling vicariously through these posts, so please keep up the great work. Some amazing photos.
Hobug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

I follow and enjoy your videos but trip reports are my favorite. I feel the more pictures the better. My imagination doesn't do nearly as good a job as photos do. Thanks for taking the time to post.
72 Super
63 Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

goldtooth, this trip report made me want to get back up to Humboldt again soon. I do not envy the route you had to take to get to your first site, especially since you left early. That's the worst.

I think a lot of people in here lurk and are reluctant to post for whatever reasons. I try to post something quick when I see something that I like, even if I have nothing to really contribute, and wish others would too. It goes a long way - further than any 'like button' could.

Once a trip report thread is past the first or second page, it's gone. Trip reports don't come up in the search as often as something technical and just stay buried.

I think it'd be good to have a Trip Reports thread that isn't locked or stickied (I tend to ignore the sticky threads). One that all of us can actually update and contribute to instead of having to message a moderator Shocked . Not to post the whole report, but just a link. I think I'll start one now.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

Enjoyed the trip report...me being on the east coast, the scenery there is spectacular!

Sometimes the trips that don't go as planned become the most memorable.
bryanarchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

Hey Nate, was this trip done after you'd redone your pop-top? I ask because it's looking super crisp and clean in the photos!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

Great report as always, thank you! Your pictures are fantastic. I haven't watched the vid yet but will when I get some free time (taking three days off from work last week took its toll.)

I've been posting trip reports here since around 2005, and one thing I've noticed is that I can go back and look at my own reports and really enjoy the memories as well as harvest ideas that I might have forgotten about for a current writing project.

It's somehow better than just looking at old pictures because this is where I've put together narratives to take fellow Samba folks along for the ride.

Older me appreciates that younger me put in the time. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

bryanarchy wrote:
Hey Nate, was this trip done after you'd redone your pop-top? I ask because it's looking super crisp and clean in the photos!

Yes, I did the top/tent in October and this trip was in February. It does pop in some of those photos!
erste wrote:
goldtooth, this trip report made me want to get back up to Humboldt again soon. I do not envy the route you had to take to get to your first site, especially since you left early. That's the worst.

I think a lot of people in here lurk and are reluctant to post for whatever reasons. I try to post something quick when I see something that I like, even if I have nothing to really contribute, and wish others would too. It goes a long way - further than any 'like button' could.

Once a trip report thread is past the first or second page, it's gone. Trip reports don't come up in the search as often as something technical and just stay buried.

I think it'd be good to have a Trip Reports thread that isn't locked or stickied (I tend to ignore the sticky threads). One that all of us can actually update and contribute to instead of having to message a moderator Shocked . Not to post the whole report, but just a link. I think I'll start one now.

I totally agree on trip reports. I have been writing them on various forums for over a decade and it is nice to have the journal of where we have been and watch our kids grow up. That is the main reason we started our website is to document our adventures for our family and friends who do not visit VW forums can enjoy them. Then we decided that YouTube could be another way to document these journeys and it has been so fun learning new skills like filming, editing and how to plan a trip with filming in mind.
We are not here to be the next #vanlife people and to use theSamba to get likes. I have been a member here for 10 years, though I do not post a bunch, I do try and help where I can.
We would love to grow our channel to a point where we can be monetized for sure. Our plan is to live in our van in the future after the girls get into college and having another source of income would be great. But that is not the driving force behind our videos. They are fun to make and we can look back on our journeys and our kids can as well.
I feel like my initial words or thoughts came out wrong. I was in a funky mood when I originally posted but the meaning is there. It is additional work to post here as I need to resize and upload all of the photos to the server. In the future I may just post links to our site and if people want to read the reports there, then good.
I hope I didn't derail this thread too much and I totally appreciate all of the support from people here.
See you down the road
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel

Last edited by thatbaldwinlife on Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bryanarchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

goldtooth wrote:
bryanarchy wrote:

Yes, I did the top/tent in October and this trip was in February. It does pop in some of those photos!

Very nice... it looks so good.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

goldtooth wrote:
It is additional work to post here as I need to resize and upload all of the photos to the server.

But there's me who finds that preparing and posting photos on the samba is quick and easy!

Once I've copied the photos from whatever camera was in use to my laptop (and that's the bit that can take some time), I use Irfanview to batch resize, and then upload the lot to the samba in one go.

https://www.irfanview.com/ <<< the Right Price(tm) - but it's one of the few programs for which I've happily made donations.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

erste wrote:
....I do not envy the route you had to take to get to your first site, especially since you left early. That's the worst...

There are no quick ways to Humboldt and this video brought back memories of driving 299 on a whim. Such a twister.

Goldtooth, good on you for pushing on. You're road warriors.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

bryanarchy wrote:
goldtooth wrote:
bryanarchy wrote:

Very nice... it looks so good.

Yeah it was sooo much work but it was one of the best projects we have done. Our top was in such sad shape and if we didn't paint it, I am afraid it would have fallen apart soon.
nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
goldtooth wrote:
It is additional work to post here as I need to resize and upload all of the photos to the server.

But there's me who finds that preparing and posting photos on the samba is quick and easy!

Once I've copied the photos from whatever camera was in use to my laptop (and that's the bit that can take some time), I use Irfanview to batch resize, and then upload the lot to the samba in one go.

https://www.irfanview.com/ <<< the Right Price(tm) - but it's one of the few programs for which I've happily made donations.

I'll look into that. I edit and resize to optimize uploading to our website. I can't load those same pics as easy to theSamba. And the quality just isn't as good posted here.
I am much happier editing video instead of photos.
nate
g shepherd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

erste wrote:

I think a lot of people in here lurk and are reluctant to post for whatever reasons.

[[Raises hand]]

erste wrote:
I try to post something quick when I see something that I like, even if I have nothing to really contribute, and wish others would too. It goes a long way - further than any 'like button' could.

These trip reports are great, thanks for taking the time to create them.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
goldtooth wrote:

But wouldn’t TheSamba not host many of these pics, because of lack of obvious VW content, or am I missing a way around that?
I have a flicker account, but find copying all the forum codes singularly to be tedious.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
fxr wrote:
goldtooth wrote:

But wouldn’t TheSamba not host many of these pics, because of lack of obvious VW content, or am I missing a way around that?
I have a flicker account, but find copying all the forum codes singularly to be tedious.

Everett unofficially modified that policy a while back for trip reports that involve your Vanagon. If the trip is about traveling with the Vanagon and the photo title mentions trip report he'll likely allow them even for those that do not have the Vanagon in the photo.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

My backyard!
So sorry you got turned around at Last Chance Grade near CC and then had to take 36...that highway is horrid in any car IMO! 299 would have been better like you said, even with a dusting of snow. There is also a low elevation forest service road back near O'Brien that goes though to 96 to Happy Camp/96.

Glad you got to spend more time in such an amazing place! VW Logo TS Logo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

I enjoyed your trip report very much! I appreciate the time it took to do it and I hope you don't stop. Thanks!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report! - The Longest Way Down.. Detours, Delays, and Reply with quote

Squidfish wrote:
My backyard!
So sorry you got turned around at Last Chance Grade near CC and then had to take 36...that highway is horrid in any car IMO! 299 would have been better like you said, even with a dusting of snow. There is also a low elevation forest service road back near O'Brien that goes though to 96 to Happy Camp/96.

Glad you got to spend more time in such an amazing place! VW Logo TS Logo

Yeah 299 was way faster, we learned our lesson on that one. The difficulty getting there made the redwoods even more special. We were worried getting to Happy Camp as there was a landslide 4 miles west on 96 so it was closed as well.
nate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: