Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

I’ll be installing one from bus depot in the future on my 71 westy and will report back
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

vdublammy wrote:
I’ll be installing one from bus depot in the future on my 71 westy and will report back

So will i... if it ever shows up, ordered a couple months back, was back ordered till early summer... so, hopefully soon?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

sixty9fasty wrote:
vdublammy wrote:

So will i... if it ever shows up, ordered a couple months back, was back ordered till early summer... so, hopefully soon?

I called this morning and they have the yellow $269 ones in stock. They stated on the site they would be in on 5/9. Pretty sure I’m going with that one.
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

vdublammy wrote:
sixty9fasty wrote:
vdublammy wrote:

I called this morning and they have the yellow $269 ones in stock. They stated on the site they would be in on 5/9. Pretty sure I’m going with that one.

Lol, I Infact just received an email confirming shipment, lol.
YogiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collie wrote:
Here is mine I got from CIP....perfect fit, big ole windows....loved it...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

what's CIP?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YogiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimneyfish wrote:
Go polka dot, Hawaiian, or get patriotic with a stars design:

http://www.proudtopop.co.uk/poptops/index.html

http://www.proudtopop.co.uk/designs/index.html

Cool

i drove all the way up (from Munich) to Gateshead to have one of these installed (the baby blue with white stars); not only was the colour more gray than blue, but the material was like a shower curtain! (aka NOT canvas as they list on their website).... a costly trip with petrol & ferry but glad i didn't just order and have shipped to me as i would not want to be breathing in plastic while sleeping. Will be shopping for the original (3-window) canvas one instead.
IF you want one from proudtopop (they are nice guys)... ask for a sample of the material before you pay/order as i would not recommend one of these.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YogiBus wrote:
Collie wrote:

what's CIP?

https://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2041&msclkid=7cc91d5e1a8b1ebcccdb401e46f25607
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

I've read through this entire thread, and would like to revive it to get some recent experiences with the BD canvas top, as well as any other manufacturers. Would love to hear how the install went and get some recent pics.
jason1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Hi friends. i have a 1972 Westfalia in Sierra Yellow, all-stock and 95 percent original. I'm trying to restore it to as original condition as possible.

The pop top is the yellow (mustard yellow?) canvas three window with white screening and hinged in front.

Have you ever seen an NOS canvas come up for sale? OR which repro canvas is the closest in color and design to this original? I've sen the brighter yellow ones and ones with darker screens and they just bum me out from a looks perspective. I've found this one form bus-ok-NL. but there's not complete pics.

https://bus-ok.nl/Westfalia-Roof-Canvas-bay-window-up-to-777-small-pop-top-yellow

If anyone can point me to a NOS canvas (stop laughing, I know) or do you know the closest to original reproduction 1972 pop top canvas out there?

thanks

Jason
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

I just ordered the BusDepot German OEM replacement. It's reportedly the best quality available.

https://www.busdepot.com/231069708y

The originals did not have windows on the side.
jason1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Mberglo wrote:
I just ordered the BusDepot German OEM replacement. It's reportedly the best quality available.

https://www.busdepot.com/231069708y

The originals did not have windows on the side.

That looks pretty close. The screens look grey instead of white. but it's better than black screens and the bright yellow canvas.

FYI the originals did have windows on the side. At least, 1972 did.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1972-volkswagen-campmobile-catalog-2015488780

This Bus Depot one looks like the side windows are the original shape and size not the bigger side windows like some aftermarket ones have.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YogiBus wrote:
Collie wrote:

what's CIP?

Cal Import Parts.... errrrrr...... Canadian Import Parts.......errrrrr..... China Import Parts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

the first replacement canvas i bought was from go westy and was ok 2 zippers on the side windows, but the front had only one which made it difficult to open haflway or somewhere in between fully open or closed- the bd model i just purchased (left a bit of canvas out for a year while i went thru engine replacement trauma!) has velcro along with zipper in the front that allows for custom size opening- just my 2cents worth checking out
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

I am needing to replace the tent on my yellow 76 westy. I'd like the top to be the stock yellow colored cotton canvas but I would prefer the screens to be black versus white. Does anyone know who if anyone is offering a tent like this currently? Thanks!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

I looking at the pic on my phone, but it looks black to me. I got the same style from BD for my ‘71 Westy and they are black. Maybe call them to verify.

https://www.busdepot.com/231070705ys
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Hmm, I had a buddy get one this past year from BD and it had white screens. I guess a call is in order.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
15W40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

I installed a canvas from CIP on my '75. Material was nice quality. It was a very tight fit. I ended up having to soak the fabric and rig ratchet straps to the back corners, slowly stretching it for several days to get the back to fit. I eventually got it in, and it looks great. The thing is tight as a drum when you lock the lift bar into place.

I would've preferred a looser fitting canvas. Easier to install and probably harder to damage if it's not under so much tension.

This is before the bottom was completely attached to the bus. You can see I was having difficulty with the back corners. Didn't help that whoever did the last top on it boogered up a lot of the screw holes. Replaced all the screws with Robertson heads while I was at it. Next owner will either love me or hate me for that...

dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

I don't think you want a loose canvas. My limited experience (I replaced mine once) was that the tension of the tent is what holds the top locked up. Also keeps it from moving laterally.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks for the lead! They do appear to be a source for the top I want but are out of stock right now.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

I would cut the bolts holding your rack to the top or at least put rubber covers over them. When the top is closed, the canvas will rub on the bolts causing holes. If you cut the bolts be sure to remove any sharp edges.
You could also get shorter bolts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: