Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buy "WHY That Year"???
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

You are correct Mark. You cannot afford to have both... a wife and your car dreams!
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

I have always loved the look of a 36hp and also oval windows (particularly because of the smaller windows and the W decklid) but here where I live ovals are really rare and people think they are worth their weight in gold! So I changed my requirement and decided I would happily take a 1960 or earlier so long as it had a 36hp engine. After about two years of searching I found my '59 for sale here locally and ended up buying it. One nice coincidence about that year is my Grandpa used to have a 1959 model as well back in the day. It was pretty cool that he got to drive it once before he passed. It brought back a lot of memories for him.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Jonah888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:
One nice coincidence about that year is my Grandpa used to have a 1959 model as well back in the day. It was pretty cool that he got to drive it once before he passed. It brought back a lot of memories for him.

Sounds Like it was more than a coincidence. Very nice story.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
if another came along at the right price I may think about getting it....currently Im thinking on a 64 dart gt....locally. and possibly either a divorce, or...my 356 going away. and my head hurts from all the thinking...turbo the 64.... Shocked add AC if it dont have it....and 8 speed trans. Wink now that would be a sweet ride...then frame it...cage it....hemi..narrow rearend.. fuel cell..... like my old duster ...oh shit hear eye go again. dam eye wish it wasent cold out side....I need a break from my self

Get your 356 finished & keep/drive it!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the early 70's because that was the first one I ever drove. After driving a '70 for several years in high school, I took my first drive in a late '50's VW and hated it. Today I'm *so* happy that the years I want the most happen to be the most available and at the best price. Had my first VW been a '55, then I would be a poor man today or no longer into ACVWs.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonah888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
I'm a fan of the early 70's because that was the first one I ever drove. After driving a '70 for several years in high school, I took my first drive in a late '50's VW and hated it. Today I'm *so* happy that the years I want the most happen to be the most available and at the best price.

What's your view of the padded dashboard vs the metal one underneath ? I suppose it's just a personal preference? Question
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
I've always preferred pre '65 beetles, especially oval windows. Shorter window heights, more of the original look to me. After having a '57 in high school, I've enjoyed the look out the rear view mirror with an oval.

… and I've always preferred pre 3/55, semaphore type one bugs - with pre-1950s, the best - are good primitive 3rd vehicles - for daily use, not much beats a Honda Civic - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Ding ding ding ding!, often the right car finds you, it may not be exactly what you think you want, but if it's affordable and available you usually find room for it in your needs. Every year and model has it's own special features that you learn to accept and likely love as time goes by.

Sure it would be nice to have X and Y features, but that Z and A that the one you have or found is nice and different too, it's hard to get picky when all the tech is ~50 years old, it's all so different from modern cars it doesn't matter much.

^^^^ This is pretty accurate for me. I had no real "I gotta have this specific year..." starting out.

I wanted a bus.
For me it had to be reasonably cheap. As in, below about $5,000.
And it couldn't be a 10 year project.
And I didn't want a Vanagon.
And I'm not really a fuel injection guy, so early would be better.
Mostly running / driving, needing general overall cleanup was my target.

A Split was pretty much out due to my budget. And I wasn't sure I'd be keen on front windows that don't roll down. Early to Mid Bays looked like a great fit.

Looked over a year before finding my running / driving / registered 73 tin top camper. It checked all the boxes. And being in all kinds of busses and Vanagons since, I think my bus is perfect for me. Cool

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

why did i get a 69 fastback.... because no one wanted to trade an 88 jeep cherokee for any year ghia back in 2002.... true story. Laughing

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

I think some may not really have a narrow and specific year in mind when they're looking for an AC VW. To some, the choice of year is dependent on what may be available when you're looking AND what your favorite years may be. I had a couple "target" years in mind when I found my 67 Bug.

I chose this Bug in particular because as a kid, I liked the old style with some of the more "modern" elements that a 67 gave you (like 12 volt, 1500 CC SP, etc). But, I would have loved to get a late 50's oval or and early 60's if I came upon one.

A long time ago, I also happened to be a big fan of the "late" models - 69 - 72 in particular, so had one of those come along at the time, I may have grabbed it.

Interestingly, I've owned a 56 and 57 But, a 66 KG convertible, a 69 KG and a 68 Bus, but never a 67. I guess that had something to do with my choice this time. To me. all the years have something of interest.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

My '67 square was covered in blackberriers in my brown egg customer's front yard.
The windows were up & it was a clean car until my son whacked it in the door cutting blackberry vines! Laughing
We drove it 2 years until I decided I wanted the automatic transmission square instead.
I waited until I found a nice 1 year only '69 early model with FI/AT.
We drove the '67 600 miles to San Francisco bought the '69 & drove them both back to Eugene.
My son rolled the '67 on a curve a few months after we got the '69 but he didn't get hurt badly!
He cut his forehead popping the windshield out but the lap belt held him in even though he's 6'3" 280 lbs.
So the '67 was unexpected, but later I had to have another one year only '69. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

1 56 oval..great 1 owner car.
1. 56 kabriolet...always wanted an oval kab.
1. 55 ragtop...so much of a one off car?
2. 67 sedans both FOR SALE..zenith blue, Savannah Beigh..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

1965 sunroof Variant as that was my very first car back in 1983 when I was 15. Waited, waited until I found a decent one that came out of Beverly Hills from an older retired gentleman named Joe Goodman. Funny story is that he advertised the car for $2000.00 and he stated few people came and he didn't like them. When he showed me the car, he said as was the only one that didn't slam the doors or rear hatch. That I was a true VW lover. He asked about my family and I told him my kids were volunteers at the Humane society and he said we were the right people for the car. We got it for $1000.00. Many $$ , years and NOS parts later. Here is the finished product.

Before shot

My friend Bob Gilmore was nice enough to recreate a tin litho version of it down to the license plates.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

My mom had 3 bugs growing up. I used to lose my matchbox cars out of the holes in the back floor😳
Had a ‘71 in high school and missed it.
50’s were over my budget
70’s I didn’t care much for the fat chicks
60’s were affordable for my budget
Chose the ‘67. One year, 12 volt, and little rust
(California car)
Sooooo, here I am.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

Why cause it was priced right and never had a squareback. Upon first viewing where it was parked for 10 yrs.

Then after I went thru ALL of the systems on the car. Oh boy it needed quite a bit, nice solid unmolested original paint converted to carbs not by choice.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

I LOVE the square backs!
About 10 years ago there was a white one with blue water “splash” abandoned about a mile from my house. It was absolutely beautiful. I passed by it for 6 months? It HAD to be stolen. It just sat in front of the car wash for 6 months.
Then it just disappeared.
Should’ve left a note on the window or something.
They had closed the rear windows on the sides in too. Like paneled it in.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
When he showed me the car, he said as was the only one that didn't slam the doors or rear hatch. That I was a true VW lover.

Sounds like we'd all get along! It drives me up the wall when I've had people slam, or just drop the decklid on my Beetle!
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

I feel like I lucked out with my first VW. I bought a 71 bus, I would have bought any bus. I ended up with one of the best years for bay windows.First year for power disk brakes, composite drum brakes in the rear, had a 1600 engine, no blocky looking air scoops or signal lights, and no dual carbs or fuel injection for easier tuning. One of the more user friendly years as far as maintenance went.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:
I have always loved the look of a 36hp and also oval windows (particularly because of the smaller windows and the W decklid) but here where I live ovals are really rare and people think they are worth their weight in gold! So I changed my requirement and decided I would happily take a 1960 or earlier so long as it had a 36hp engine. After about two years of searching I found my '59 for sale here locally and ended up buying it. One nice coincidence about that year is my Grandpa used to have a 1959 model as well back in the day. It was pretty cool that he got to drive it once before he passed. It brought back a lot of memories for him.

I have an oval and I think the thing I like the best and would miss the most is the sound of the 36 under moderate acceleration/at mid speed. Just a very relaxing/comforting sound. to actually drive for a distance or in traffic I'd take a 68-70 beetle. The oval is purely around town and back roads at this point. At today's prices I'd wouldn't even consider an oval and just buy that 68+ beetle.
suburban_hooligan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

i have a 71 super beetle.
i have a 71 super because i wanted a bug, but wanted 12v electrical and the 60 horse engine. and sense a 67 with a 50 horse was 1. slightly out of my price range, and 2. was told that 67's had "several one year only parts that were hard to find and pricey" that scared me as a clueless 16 year old first time car buyer. and because of the tail lights i whittled down the search to a 68 - 72. it was my grandma that found an add for it, told my parents and we went and looked at it. it was pretty clean, rust free, had a great owner history (the guy i bought it from had owned it sense 73), and ran and drove great so i scooped it up. didn't even know what a super beetle was or how it was different. that was 21 years ago (22 in September). and after living with it and using it as a daily driver for 16 years and rebuilding/restoring 90% of it i developed an affection for it. and now that it's been replaced as a daily driver i can't bring myself to sell it off just to get an earlier model. so now it's my play thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: