Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strange metallic sound
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deanbradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Strange metallic sound Reply with quote

Anyone got any ideas as to what this strange metallic sound might be on the right side. It's not an air leak or fan rubbing as I had taken the fan belt off to test. Newly built engine runs great on the test stand but a bit noisy.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2JuOIORgkuM&feature=share

https://youtube.com/watch?v=f8mlxUJFZ70&feature=share
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange metallic sound Reply with quote

im probably wrong but sounds a-lot like fan rub on the shroud to me... and yes i did read your initial post

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.

Last edited by VWporscheGT3 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
robcy04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange metallic sound Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
im probably wrong but sounds a-lot like fan rub on the shroud to me...

My though exactly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deanbradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange metallic sound Reply with quote

I know what you mean my thoughts initially so I removed the fan belt and still the same noise
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange metallic sound Reply with quote

Maybe a pushrod hitting the pushrod tube.
deanbradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange metallic sound Reply with quote

Pushrods are oversize from CSP VW and are clear from rubbing
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange metallic sound Reply with quote

make sure pully tin is not contacting the pully. it kinda soulds like tight wrist pins, kinda hard to say without being there to eleminate stuff. whats the side play on the rockers.and have ou fely the pushrod tubes as it's running to make sure nutten is tuching them? also feel the oil pump just incase the oil pump is contacting the cam bolts. and look for extra crank end play too. some of those rockers Ive gotten well both sets I got the foot was not square to the shaft. and re set the lash. side play should be set .002"-.004" for quiet operatiion. also check for coil bind as well as guide to keeper clearance to full lift. did you add flats to the pushrod ends???
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Strange metallic sound Reply with quote

The belt pulley oil slinger washer could be in backwards and rubbing inside of the case. If you have an aftermarket cam in there care is to be taken so the cam gear bolts clear the oil pump to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deanbradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange metallic sound Reply with quote

Thinking about it did start after carrying out some shimming on the rockers. I got about 6 to 4 thou gap between the rockers one side so 2 to 3 thou both sides of the rocker. Before that they were around 12 thou gap.

I’m going to swap over the rocker assemblies to see if the noise changes to the left.

If that doesn’t work will have to pull the head off and barrels ☹️

Definitely not the pulley and fan housing as have tested them.

Thanks for all your comments.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange metallic sound Reply with quote

Check for loose tins rubbing or hitting when the engine vibrates.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange metallic sound Reply with quote

Exhaust gasket whistle?
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Strange metallic sound Reply with quote

Loose manifold possibly-pull carb and redo the gasket.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: