Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

I cant help but ask as I don't want to destroy anything useful or of any value.

I was looking for a transmission case to be able to run my engine on a stand before I install it.

Anyways, I found one for free but when I picked it up it turned out to be a complete transmission core.

The number on transmission case is AO496588 (pn 113.301.103) there is also the number 36 above the part number. From what I read online this came out of a 1971 Karman Ghia and has 3.875 ring gear.

it is worth trying to save anything from this, are any of the parts/gears hard to find? assuming they are in decent condition?
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

Reverse gears in good condition are always in short supply as well as gear carriers right now
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

Good cores are getting hard to find. I'd bet if there are any transaxle rebuilders near you they would give you a junk case and a few bucks for it. You can set the engine on the floor and hook the complete transaxle up and start it.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

Ya, I kinda don't even like the idea of cutting a good original case in half if I can avoid it.

On the other hand I guess most of it could be junk anyway. It looks like it may of been sitting in a shed for a while, it doesn't have any oil in it.

So I'm not quite sure how I would determine if this core is "good"
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

Is it a "Single Side cover" case? those are stronger cases

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Is it a "Single Side cover" case? those are stronger cases

It's not
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

The main shaft can be used as a clutch disc alignment tool.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
The main shaft can be used as a clutch disc alignment tool.

That's the plan Very Happy Wink
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

For a daily driver rebuild ,the rebuider is only going to replace parts that are effecting operation. The replaced parts may come from a used box. The box you want to scrap may be better than the one you plan on using.

You could sell the internals on Ebay if you wanted. No one is going to sell the Ring and Pinion for scrap if they rebuild transmissions.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

This isn't a freshly pulled core. It's pretty rough. The outside of the case didn't look bad but inside is another story. I just pulled the side covers off and the bottom of the case is very corroded. Someone could probably use it but only if they were desperate. The gears in the middle of the case, I guess the differential, is very rusted. So I figure the rest of the internals may be in similar shape.

I'm going to just cut the case in half...
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

I'm going to just cut the case in half...

If you're gonna cut it. Cut it down the center of the differential housing.
That way in the future. When you decide to make an engine starting stand. You can use the side cover studs to mount the housing to the stand.
The hack that cut mine didn't leave me any meat to mount the bell housing to a stand.
But then, I can't bitch too much. I only paid $20 for the thing.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

3.88's are getting harder to find, some builders are bead blasting and seeing the condition afterwards if the rust is light enough. My guess is that isn't going to be the case with yours, but something to consider on future run ins.

Input shaft can be clutch alignment tool

1-2 hub and 3rd gear or even 4th gear (splined sides) can be pinion holding or rotating tools

3rd gear can be used as a press tool for early 113 style gears.

Pinion bearing housing for the big pinion bearing is useful for removing the pinion bearing off of 3.88's

Input shafter coupler can be modified for trans jig turning tool

Probably other ways I have used different parts as well. An old bearing race sanded down on the outside makes it easier to set up a differental sa well.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 transmission core, any parts worth saving? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

The number on transmission case is AO496588 (pn 113.301.103)... From what I read online this came out of a 1971 Karman Ghia and has 3.875 ring gear.

Your trans is NOT from a 71 Ghia, and it doesn't have a 3.88 R&P. Your trans code starts with A0, not AO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: