Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up Reply with quote

How common is it for replacement heater channels to be a poor fit / match to replacement floor pans? I have some new Klokkerholm heater channels for my 1966 project, and some older replacement floor pans (pretty sure they are Klokkerholms as well, but not certain). The pan-to-heater channel bolt hole openings don't match up very well, and the curvature on the frontend heat outlet area on the pan is a very poor match to the heater channel. In the final pic, with the numbers and arrows, there is a one-inch overlap at the front when the heater channel curve is lined up with the floor pan (#2). I can likely work around the misaligned holes by re-drilling, etc., but I'm really concerned about the one-inch misalignment at the front. Is this something I should try to work around by re-doing the pan bolt holes, or do I have a mismatched set??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up Reply with quote

it's probably the cheep black metal..
I have had to rework the black stuff in the past .
..Another reason to buy the Funky Green stuff .
redrill the holes ; the plates will cover most of the extra big holes .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up Reply with quote

Thanks, gramps

That may work for the mis-aligned holes along the side ...but what, if anything, can I do about the mis-match between the channel and the pan at the front? Re-shape the lip on the pan? I have to assume (...yes, i know the saying) that the heater channel is the right contour to match the body ...
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up Reply with quote

I had to grind a little of mine off...same problem. once I got the carpet in, it really wasn't noticable.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up Reply with quote

I had the same issue with the heater channels I replaced on my 74. I had to enlarge a few holes and cut some of that lip off. I cut it back pretty far and tack welded it back together.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Thanks, gramps

That may work for the mis-aligned holes along the side ...but what, if anything, can I do about the mis-match between the channel and the pan at the front? Re-shape the lip on the pan? I have to assume (...yes, i know the saying) that the heater channel is the right contour to match the body ...

The only good part about your post today is that people are going to read this and order the good ones for THEIR car .... Shocked Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Digger89L wrote:
Thanks, gramps

The only good part about your post today is that people are going to read this and order the good ones for THEIR car .... Shocked Very Happy

Well ....I'm more a victim of bad luck than bad judgement or frugality: I got the (apparently) misshapen floor pans included in a batch of other parts I picked up (seats, doors, all the glass except windshield, etc., etc.), and the batch of parts was inexpensive enough that I consider that I may actually have not paid for the pans at all. So, with virtually no investment in them, I can afford to not use them, and instead buy some better quality / better fitting pans. Perhaps I could even sell these pans to someone who may only need the back half or three-quarters of the pans, including seat rails and back cross-brace.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up Reply with quote

Related question: are the front seat tracks (the ones that are welded to the pans) supposed to be spaced differently (front to back) on the passenger side pan, compared to the driver side pan? On the pans I have, the passenger side seat track is about a half-inch closer to the front of the pan (27 inches), than is the driver side seat track (27.5 inches). Normal??
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up Reply with quote

I just measured the distance from the Napoleon hat to the leading edge of the seat rails / tracks in my Aug. 66 built 67. They measure 27 3/4" drivers and passenger sides. My seats are the same as the 66 models. With the release lever at the floor.
I hope that this is helpful.
Good luck

edit
As a reality check. I checked my rust heap late 67 as well for the same measurement. 27 3/4". Yeah I know it's not a 66. But I can't detect a difference between 66 and 67 pans.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up Reply with quote

Thanks. Maybe I just have a crappy set of pans. I don't have the body off the old pans yet, so I can't check for how they fit otherwise. Perhaps I'll wait until then, and then decide how to proceed. I'm thinking I could deal with the front fitment issue by buying a set of front pan halves, but its likely best to wait until I have it all apart before I head down that road.
keegs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up Reply with quote

I found that the body can easily shift forward/backward relative to the chassis when lifting it on and off (up or down) during removal. Before you check the heater channel alignment chassis pan alignment make sure you first check that the other mount points (not the heater channel mount points) are aligned. I went with the Dansk heater channels and I'm still at it but so far they're lining up with the old floor pans.

Last edited by keegs on Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and floor pan bolt holes not lining up Reply with quote

Those Klokkerholm heater channels are HCSO's and the floor pans are FPSO's.

Heater Channel Shaped Objects and Floor Pan Shaped Objects.

Cutting, welding, enlarging holes, cursing are all par for the course with them.

I always advise people to stay away from the cheap crap because any savings up front on the parts are usually lost by several factors in frustration, time and money. Especially if you are paying someone.

Your options here are really just to enlarge the holes in the pans and live with it.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: