Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

Hi All,
I've been off the Samba for a long time, but wanted to report back a couple of things, mostly good but some bad news for my tranny (spoiler - user error not rebuilder error)...

recap is in 2020 I had a vanaru swap in my '89 2wd manual westy, and had the transmission rebuilt by Matt Steedle. I did not like the loud noise of the muffler that came with the vanaru system, talked with my mechanic and switched it out for another one (can't recall the make) and the van noise was perfect.

As for transmission,
Rebuild completed with 148742 miles on odo (had Amalie GL-4 80w90)
First oil change 149386 mi (switched to I changed the trans oil at 200 miles, then 1000 mi later and then 2500 mi later. In 2020 I took a trip from VA to VT with a pretty loaded down van (not going to sugar coat it).
pics of van for this trip:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sometime after this trip, I started to hear some "rubbing noises" when I would be parked with the clutch engaged (but out of gear). Mentioned it to my mechanic who said to talk to Steedle, so I sent Steedle a video of the sound and Matt figured it had to do with the length of the mainshaft bearing.

I had the trans pulled and sent off to Matt in December of 2020 (was using the van intermittingly and wanted it available if we had any open weekends for local camping trips in october). Steedle opened the trans and noticed that it wasnt the mainshaft but instead I had ruined the mainshaft and 4th gear (evidence of the needle rollers pounding into the inner gear wall).

The likely culprit, too much heat. After the VT trip I had the transfluid changed, and it came out a brown rusty color (which was surprising) but not much particles on the magnet. We now suspect the brown color was the gear oil being cooked.

For my VT trip I drove around 75 mph, sometimes touching 80 on I-95N, but primarily living in the 70 - 75mph range (where possible, non interstate roads were slower 50 - 65mph). I broke the trip up into two legs 6 hrs to PA and then 5 hrs to VT. (One the drive home we pushed straight through from VT to VA).

The gear oil we were using was nothing fancy:
Amalie GL-4 80w90 for the first 200 miles
Amalie 75w90 synthetic for the rest of the time.

Matt and I discussed a path forward, trying to make sure we dont end up at the same issue again (debated changing my 4th gear ratio back to stock from the 0.81 GT) but in the end the conclusion was to use a more specialized trans oil to take care of the heat, and I asked Matt to add a port so I could add a trans temp gauge to track the temps.

Steedle was great to work with through out all of this. Here are some pictures:

First trans oil change (going from regular to synthetic, approx 1k mi after rebuild):

Drain plug after Virginia to Vermont trip:

Picture of damage to mainshaft and gear from Steedle:

Anyways, the trans has been reassembled with a new GT4th (0.81) and a new mainshaft and any other parts that required replacement. I also had Matt tap the case for a temp probe for the gear oil. Steedle filled the trans with some super expensive luxury oil, I cant recall the name details but hopefully it will help prevent this occurring again.

Anyways, just wanted to post an update. comments welcome.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

Did Matt mention what would be a safe operating temperature? Any thoughts/discussion on adding a cooler?
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

Honestly looks great, but that computer box mounted in the hot airflow off the radiator gives me the willies.
One it is getting hot air blown over a computer and two it is blocking the airflow from the radiator.
They could not mount that say longways alongside the throttle cable or somewhere else under the front?
I'd move it even though they may say they haven't seen any problems with heat.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

I'm surprised that you did not pick up on the oil cooling threads for the gearbox.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php?q=transaxle%20oil%20cooling

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Did Matt mention what would be a safe operating temperature? Any thoughts/discussion on adding a cooler?

Hey Vanagonjr,
We did talk temps, but I do not recall the number. Matt was wondering what my plan would be with the temp gauge, if it starts to read hot what would I do - I mentioned the only thing I would be able to do is pull over to let the van cool down.

But no, I dont recall the number, if I talk w/ Matt again I will see what he thinks, and I'll try and post the oil he is recommending I use in the tranny moving forward.

-Dana
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
I'm surprised that you did not pick up on the oil cooling threads for the gearbox.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php?q=transaxle%20oil%20cooling

Hey Steve, I did catch those threads. I considered it for a long time. I have another thread (you commented on it) where I chat about oil temp gauge with numerous folks. My take away was that it would be too complicated for me and a higher risk of oil failure than help. But here I am today reconsidering.

thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9164842
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

Dana thats an extremely rich tranny post with many subjects and pics of issues Ive been “studying intently” for 5 years. Not as a professional though. But working with them. I’ll try to post some thoughts this evening.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

the pict of the Drain plug after Virginia to Vermont trip is interesting... looks like water intrusion but i trust Matt's opinion that it is overheated oil. did you smell it?

so this aligns with what i've heard from rebuilders of BMW airhead motorcycle transmissions... that a moly fortified synthetic gear oil (read rilly expensive) reduces trans temps. perhaps reason alone enough to counter the 'run cheap oil and change often' school.

anyway, more grist for the mill. personally i feel good about running Swepco 202 and swapping it every year with a batch that has been settled for that year. it goes from opaque to OEM clear blue/green in that time. we need someone with a trans temp gauge to do a 100 mile run with cheap oil and another 100 miles with syn moly oil. same temp/wind of course <grin>.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

===Edit I 'refined' this post 3/10/21 (... think/hope I refined it) ====

I say: If you have a Big engine, KNOW your transaxle temperature before driving heavy or fast.

So you KNOW if your trans is in danger.

Regarding operating temps, the mainshaft bearing is LOOSE in a new gear carrier at 195*F.
Bad things happen when the mainshaft bearing moves in its bore.
The mainshaft moves (forward or rearward).
So some of us say 180°F is the max temp you should ever allow.
Others say: stay away from 180, use 160 'cuz if you don't have a brand new gear carrier, yours could be fully loose at 180°F.
Or on an old trans, old gear carrier,,,, even 160°F.
On an older trans, the mainshaft bearing could be loose sitting in the driveway.
But the 'accepted' max I am hearing is that 180°F a Vanagon trans is damaging itself.
I'd use 160°F.

You can drill the case without complete transaxle disassembly. It's just magnesium.
Hardened steel gears and bearings laugh at magnesium. It could be even funnier than bronze (yellow metals).
They don't laugh at "hardened steel" and everyone else is driving around with oil FULL of hardened steel which doesn't kill a trans immediately.
So magnesium? Just chuckle under your breath, and drill-baby-drill.

You can epoxy a sender to the case outside too.
I have mine INSIDE the oil, of course that's the best way, the response will be faster.
It seems appropriate that I should epoxy a sender on the outside and compare the response, so we can "know" that it's a reliable method.
I've had other theories that turned out 'wrong' in testing, so it's worthwhile.
I will try to test that soon.

OK temperature.
My van has more than a temperature gauge.
it has an electronic temperature-controlled cooler/filter system.
10 micron full-flow filter including a magnetic settling tank.
It NEVER exceeds 143°F.

I did a test-drive at 80MPH for long periods, like 1000 miles of it.
Temperature-controlled......with a 'new' rebuild at appx 15,000 miles.

When I got home I looked thru my filters, and was blown away at the amount of metal that I found in my ( extensive ! ) filtration system.
I think it's "duty cycle". Big engine pushing a little transaxle.
The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long so they say.
I think 1/4 as long in this case.

So DON'T think of temperature as the only problem to solve.
around 180°F is an indicator that you are doing damage NOW,
but
Duty-cycle is what you should keep in mind .... for the long haul.

Like when they say some feller has more money than brains?
Over-engined fellers have more horsepower than steel. Wink

======= OK that's temperature. On to the lines ==========

Worthwhile to read this: https://www.linearmotiontips.com/how-bearings-fail-a-closer-look-at-brinelling/
It's short, easy to read and has a wealth of bearing-industry links specifically on this subject of "false brinelling" and other bearing-life links too.
Anyone who's over-engined a Vanagon should read this to simply raise your bearing-understanding of what you've done to your transaxle.

The lines on the gear and shaft are called "false brinelling".
It's general cause is from lack of sufficient lubrication of a stationary needle bearing.
That needle bearing is NOT spinning when you're in 4th.
But the needle rolls back and forth ever so slightly, vibrationally, under high loads, high heat, and the oil film is driven out, rolled away left/right from the contact point.
And the needle then rests on the shaft metal-to-metal, for a long period of time if you're remaining in 4th gear for a long time.
Heat makes oil thinner, and exacerbates the problem.

False Brinelling factors:

Heat
    compromised oil
    Improper break-in of new parts
    loose 'fit' of the 4th gear idler possibly due to undersized (worn?) mainshaft
    Time and centrifugal force throwing the oil outward
    vibration (and other factors, possibly resonance)

That brown oil looks like water.
Rust comes to mind but I can't imagine how that happened so quickly.
Water is a terrible problem, and i can't imagine how you got that much in there, other than Condensation.
But it doesn't take much to lose significant film strength.
Zoom thru this article: https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1379/contaminating-oil
There's dripping it on a hot pan and see if it "crackles" as the water boils out.
You'd put a frying pan in the oven at 325°, then take it out and drip a little oil onto it (perhaps on the bottom, not the food surface.) and see if the oil crackles. 325° shouldn't boil the oil but the water pops.
But that brown oil is long gone, right?

I would use GL5, and just learn how to shift it slower.
Shift more "RV-like" than sports-car-like.
GL4 will shift nicer.....but....you have a big engine and over-loaded gears.
Need the lube with the higher film strength for its other benefits.
GL4 is a formulation that was superseded 40 years ago, and specified for the 90HP WBX.
Other than that, i wouldn't place much faith in oil brand, type etc causing __or preventing__ problems with over-loaded steel.
The oil differences are subtle, only few percent even possible, if your 'brand' actually provides an increase... but the steel remains much further undersized.

Emulsified water however is BIG percent!
Heat too, and contamination, but it sounds like you were addressing contamination.

I have my doubts it was heat.
I didn't see evidence of heat on the pics but all I have is "pics".
The water 'appearance' bugs me as being the big hitter.
But I can't imagine how you got that much condensation, nobody else does.
Yet the oil is cloudy brown.
Puzzling!

Sodo wrote:
Don't lug the engine, and shift 3rd-4th-3rd-4th more often than you'd normally do. Choose the backroads that allow 3-4-3-4-3-4.
Don't lug 4th gear

Do you remember ^^this^^ advice ?
So many things when you have a new engine.... very very easy to forget details when you have that big smile on your face.
But as many things, you kinda "gotta lose one", right? I did when I got my EJ25.

This break-in advice is almost specifically for a 'new 4th gear idler' in over-engined conditions.
But especially any new parts that are not yet 'burnished'. 3rd gear too, if it's new, and any new shafts.
The 'rough' NEW surface of a NEW bearing race such as the inside of a new 4th gear idler and the OD of its shaft is especially vulnerable to 'false brinelling' ....when new and especially if also overloaded.

So how long do you keep it in in 3rd? Equal time?
No...
But if 3rd gear is new, there's risk of brinelling 3rd, so when new, don't drive "all day" in 3rd.
In the overall scheme, 4th is the one that sits in the 'same spot' for long periods, and 3rd is temporary use.
And it's pinion is bigger, it seems be safer from false brinelling,
and the lack of trans builders finding false brinelling of 3rd gear possibly reinforces that.
3rd gear likely takes care of itself. Focus on 4th, and shifting, just to make 4th's needle settles in a new "position".

To expand this advice, and make it more usable.....if you can't get to 3rd, go 4th-neutral-4th-neutral etc. Letting the clutch let out out while in neutral spins 4th gear needle on the shaft.
Clutch drag alone may turn the needle gear to a new position, but I don't know this for sure in every case. But you do have to shift to neutral, not just press the clutch.
Shifting to neutral (or 3rd), the 3rd/4th slider hub disengages 4th gear idler from the mainshaft and the bearing spins while disengaged.

It's kind of hard to understand if you don't know how transmissions 'shift' etc, but in 4th gear, the needle bearing is not spinning at all.
The needle bearing is acting like a "spacer" as the needle rollers are not rolling.
They sit on one place the whole time you're in 4th gear.
Imagine each needle sitting on one of those lines.
That's it!

But the 4th gear needle bearing spins while you're in 3rd gear.
So the suggestion to shift often when breaking in, is each time you do a 'needless' (heh) shift, the 4th gear needle settles in a different spot, 'burnishing' that one spot. And ideally, it doesn't sit there long enough to "make a line" on the gear or on the shaft.
The more times you (go back to 4th), the more 'new locations" the needles sit on, and 'burnish'.
You do this often during break in, hoping to 'burnish' the entire surface of the shaft and 4th gear evenly.

Note that this MAINLY applies to a NEW transaxle that has an engine that's too big for its steel shafts, gears, bearings.
That's you.
And lots of others too.

And perhaps the oil was compromised....
Water in oil can reduce the film strength by a significant amount, even before it turns milky.
Once milky, (emulsified) that's real real bad.
And perhaps too hot, butyou didn't provide temps.
And there's the possibility that the mainshaft was under-sized (old?) and 4th gear idler was wobbling 'loose' on the bearing.
Was that a new mainshaft or old?

OK all that above..... and now, once the lines start to develop, evert time the needle bearing slows down, the "lines" (all of them) actin concertto stop the needle THERE, and now it's just fooked - need a new idler and a new shaft.

So ya really don't want them to start.
So don't go on a long trip on a new trans and big engine UNLESS you choose smaller side-roads and can shift often.
If your passenger thinks you're obsessed with shifting, that might be good.
I can't even guess how many miles it would take.
Maybe shift a lot at first, dialing it back to normal around ~5,000 miles?
Who could know?

If you were lugging the engine, well thats another way significant offense all on its own especially to a new trans bolted to a big engine. Lugging is kind of difficult to explain in typing or in words.
Almost has to be "observed" where someone says "see? THAT! That's lugging. Don't do THAT!".
Its the engine pounding on the transaxle.
That's a danger of gearing 'taller'.

Very sorry to see this, Dana!

A lot of these things pigpile and thus you can't identify one as 'the reason'.
All you can do is try to address all of them in hopes that the composite of your effort works out.

Remember NO OEM would do this.
We're on our own.
We want the benefits of the big engine but we have to dial back on some other pleasures.

This over-engining thing is 'new' and there's on OEM to guide us.
We know what they would say.
They would say it won't work.
They would ask, "Do you think we would re-tool to produce bigger transmissions if all we had to do search forums or buy the oil brand that advertises the best?"
and the next step is well within their reach too...
"Wouldn't we just copy that oil formulation and OEM-label it?"?

The answer is on the steel side, not the oil side.
But on the oil side, it's important that the oil you have, is not compromised.

Think of it like "duty cycle".
You want to pass that car with your EJ25? Pass it.
You need to speed up a little for safety? Speed up for that condition.
But overall, you want like 99% of your van driving time "as if it had a 2.1 WBX in it".
Which can be real hard to "know" driving for hours against a headwind, for example,
or heavy,
or with significant external wind resistance on the roof.

Folks with over-engined vans need a bracelet that says WWWBXD? (google this: "WWJD?")
Apologies but main thing I'm saying is it's kind of like a 'faith'.
....the faith you had that double the HP won't result in 25% transaxle life.
That the conversion salesman kinda "holds near-and-dear", but they DO tell you to "go easy", right?
Yes it will be "a 25% transaxle life" if you DO put that double HP thru it for long periods.
And probably less than 25% if you push it.

Sorry I wrote this late at night, confusion is likely.
Reply and I will try to clarify.
It's not gospel, it's not complete, and I'm not a professional, not an expert.
All I can see is your pics and your descriptions.
It has a lot of assumptions and there are more assumptions I have not included as well.
I am just an interested observer who has developed an 'odd focus'.
I am learning more all the time.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:57 pm; edited 5 times in total
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
the pict of the Drain plug after Virginia to Vermont trip is interesting... looks like water intrusion but i trust Matt's opinion that it is overheated oil. did you smell it?....

Hey Dan,
I wasnt around for the trans oil change. I was there for the first change and took the pictures shown of the blue cloth and liked what i saw and so didnt go back for the second change.

I too thought water/rust when the picture was sent to me, but it didnt make sense. 1000 miles on the non synthetic (from March 10 2020 to May 10) and then 2000 mi from May 10 to August 21 (cant recall my numbers 2000 miles on the next oil change?), seems strange for rust to form that quickly and not have similar issues for the time prior.

I also trust Matt's insight on it, not saying he can't be wrong, but I trust him.

-Dana
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
===Edit I 'refined' this post 3/10/21 (... think/hope I refined it) ====

Hi tom, Was hoping you'd see the post and comment. I've read through your comments (appreciate you taking the time). I guess I can point out some things:

I just stated in my previous post (to DanHaug) the length of time between the oil changes, so find it hard to believe it is a rust forming. See my reply above for duration and miles.

I did recall the point about making sure to shift a lot through a lot of the gears, but after reading your post not sure I was that excessive.

Lugging:
I never like admitting my faults in an open forum but maybe it is helpful to others.... I've been careful no to lug the engine in 4th gear (my definition here of not lugging is making sure the rpms were always 3200 or greater in 4th - obviously I am not perfect and they might have fallen below this in rare circumstances, but not ever driven at lower rpms). Were i confess being lax is in 3rd gear. my neighborhood is 25mph, I usually drive through it at 30mph. gears 1, 2 and 3 are the original gears - I dont think 3rd gear was replaced in the rebuild (I dont see it on the bill but there was a bunch of stuff bundled in a line item of "weddle industries" but I am pretty sure we settled on not changing 3rd gear). Point being, 30mph in 2nd is really high rpms (close to 4000rpms), and 30mph in 3rd is low rpms (2600 I think). So this is the area where I would use 3rd gear which is likely lugging the engine) as I drive through my neighborhood (2 miles) before I get to a larger road.

Temperatures:
I didnt provide temps because I didnt track temps. After all of the discussion about temperature sensors and oil filters and talking with Steedle, I concluded that I wanted to minimize the amount of things that could fail, and figured as long as I was "responsible" the additional tap and junction would be more likely to fail than the inside components of the trans. So I never had trans oil monitoring.
I have asked Matt to add a temp port to the trans to be able to add a gauge, which he did, but it is just plugged I havent taken any further steps to buy or install a gauge.

I dont recall the mainshaft being replaced on the original rebuild but it was for this recent work (due to damage).

I asked Steedle to mail back the damaged parts (4th gear and mainshaft) - I asked for this simply because I've never touched/seen these parts in person so my mechanical engineering side says "thatd be cool to look at)....so some expensive desk paper weights.

Anyways, some quick replies, have to divert my attention back to my day job but wanted to get a response back.

Hope you and your fam are well!

Cheers,
Dana

Last edited by dsdunbar on Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

Sorry that is such an eyefull but I’m not a good editor.

I think lugging is generally in the low 2000s.
I hesitate to write an RPM number.
Like any time its below 2500, and if you press more throttle, and it’s unable to accelerate (can’t go faster) — that could be a candidate for lugging.

Lugging is not when coasting in your neighborhood.
It’s when trying to accelerate or hold speed against an incline, at low RPM.
It’s making the engine ’work’ at lower RPMs.

dsdunbar wrote:
I also trust Matt's insight on it, not saying he can't be wrong, but I trust him.

Well be careful with my advice too,
I am not one who sees open transaxles all day long.
I hope I can offer value to the guys that do, and minimal errors. Shocked

If you submerge a gearbox builder in a 55gal barrel of 90wt,
then swing a baseball bat 3 inches over the top,
the real builder will duck ( every time ! )
An engineer?
He’ll be trying to assess the velocity of the baseball bat.

Lots more trannies out there (than rebuilders!)
And they’re all getting old (the trannies). Wink
What’r we gonna do when these old guys wash off the 90wt for the last time?
Will they be doing it when our vans are 10 years older?

Aren’t we vanagon people lucky to have this rising transaxle star in the Eastern US?👍🏽👍🏽

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:

I have not asked Matt to add a temp port to the trans to be able to add a gauge, which he did, but it is just plugged I havent taken any further steps to buy or install a gauge.

I should have a VDO gauge and temp sender (1/4" NPT) in a few weeks that I won't be using anymore if you're interested. I'm changing to a different gauge.

From my own experience with a AHU and 091 transmission, it was rebuilt when I bought the van, and then a few years later it lost 4th and was rebuilt, then the reverse gear fell off so it came out again to fix that, and finally it was rebuilt last year after losing 3rd, I think. Rancho did the last rebuild and Mike questioned whether the last rebuild was done by a mechanic or a proper transmission specialist. It was missing parts (weddle 3/4 slider) that were supposed to be installed, and some of the parts weren't the best quality (bearings, shift fork). This made me wonder if it was just put together in a rush and sloppily. I'm hoping having it built by someone who seemed to be more thorough will help it last, plus the GT 4th, cooling system, and getting oil to the mainshaft bearing.

I also need to be better about shifting at higher RPMs and not lugging. I'm not sure I'd call 2600rpm lugging though, but maybe I'm wrong. I try to keep it above 2k all the time.

You should feel good knowing that you've got one of the best in the business rebuilding it now. Still a huge bummer after so few miles.

Sodo, after how many miles are you changing / checking the trans. filters? Still need to read your full post, so sorry if I missed it.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

erste wrote:

From my own experience with a AHU and 091 transmission, it was rebuilt when I bought the van, and then a few years later it lost 4th and was rebuilt, then the reverse gear fell off so it came out again to fix that, and finally it was rebuilt last year after losing 3rd, I think. Rancho did the last rebuild and Mike questioned whether the last rebuild was done by a mechanic or a proper transmission specialist. It was missing parts (weddle 3/4 slider) that were supposed to be installed, and some of the parts weren't the best quality (bearings, shift fork). This made me wonder if it was just put together in a rush and sloppily. I'm hoping having it built by someone who seemed to be more thorough will help it last, plus the GT 4th, cooling system, and getting oil to the mainshaft bearing.

I also need to be better about shifting at higher RPMs and not lugging. I'm not sure I'd call 2600rpm lugging though, but maybe I'm wrong. I try to keep it above 2k all the time.

You should feel good knowing that you've got one of the best in the business rebuilding it now. Still a huge bummer after so few miles.

Thanks Erste, send me a DM/PM message here in the samba when you have it out w/ maybe a picture and let me know the details.

I had a typo (in the part you quoted) but you knew what I was saying....I DID have Steedle add a port for a temp gauge.

It is nice have Steedle so close, and he's really great to work with (very personable). And it sounds like he is friends/friendly with some of the other rebuilders (Mr. Gas and Rancho) and it sounds like it is a good relationship where they bounce issues/things that come up off each other to see if the other had any experience with the issue etc. From my vantage point (engineer) it is nice to hear they do that, that they seek out their peers for similar issues to help resolve or work through together. I would always prefer someone who seeks out existing wisdom than thinking they know it all and can figure it out in a vacuum.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

Got my van back, everything appears to be running great (trans and vanaru).

SODO -
I was driving my van back home from picking it up, and was really restraining myself to stay under 70mph (speed limit was 70 mph on I-81 and I-64).

But I struggle with your suggestion to switch between 3rd gear and 4th gear excessively.

55mph 3rd gear is around 4000 rpms. It will be hard to put 5k miles on the transmission and be switching between 3rd and 4th excessively when ....60 mph would be about as fast as I would want the van moving when in 3rd gear (think this is around 5k rpm but I am sure someone has the rpm chart for stock R&P and gears (1-3) for a late model 2wd transmission).

I am not sure I am going to have the ability to hit anywhere close to that high level of mileage to be shifting between 3rd and 4th to try and imprint the rollers around the 4th gear (cant recall the term you used).

Did you do this when you rebuilt your trans (not sure if you replaced gears)?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

Dana I hear you.

We can do this in the west because we can get off the 70-80 MPH freeways, and put down lots of miles, in a lovely way, at 55-60mph.

Not a lot is known about the brinelling here but one thing known is, each time you shift you choose a different position for the (stationary) needle bearing on the shaft. And it perhaps re-lubricates too (hopefully).
Overloaded shafts are especially vulnerable to brinelling when new, before the peaks/valleys get smoothed over and work-hardenend. Or 'burnished'.

We have been calling this "false brinell".
Samba member GTgears calls it "false-false brinell" which is apt, as its logically 'true brinnell'. You can't catch a fingernail on false brinell. You can on true brinell, and your shaft had fingernail-catching lines.

The last time your shafts were new they were only subjected to 90 HP and they burnished gently over time, became nice and round and smooth. And the WBX must use 3rd gear often so it was shifted.

Now they have to break in under 165 HP, far far beyond their design capacity. The contact psi on the shaft surface under the needle bearing is much higher. It's not turning, it's stationary in one spot except for the gear teeth vibration. This high-frequency very short-ampltude left/right movement wiggles the oil out from under the needleand you have metal-to-metal contact. At high frequency, millions of tiny vibrational movements add up to "distance" with no lubrication. And under the high loads of over-engining, compression too (brinelling).

You want to move it often and keep doing so until you've burnished all the way around that new shaft and the needles have no saddles "to get stuck in".

Choosing 55-60mph roads also limits the power applied, in hopes it is nearer to the OEM 90HP.
Go easy on the weight, and thee wind-sail, and the duty-cycle.
Sorry I think you just have to do this for 5,000 miles.
Maybe it's 10,000.
Who could know how to bed in a shaft that is loaded far beyond engineering design limits?
The gearbox design engineer is the only one who knows and he wouldn't tell you how to do it,
he'd say that you just can't do it at all.

We only get little glimpses when a builder is willing to take new stuff apart and is secure in his reputation enough to post pics.
I cannot imagine with a 6-week backlog, he has time to painstakingly investigate this problem, but he did, and kudos for that.

If Steedle were to say "no more warranties for conversion engines" that is within his rights, totally logical and any engineer would/should back him up.
I know you're an engineer. Wink
And that you do stand behind him.

I don't have any experience or success with this, all I have is an intense interest, anecdotal stories/pics such as yours, and I talk to people who study this stuff of over-engining and the engineering point-of-view, and are very interested.

I have all new shafts and all new gears too and am in a position to test my own advice, but i don't want to take it apart and check up on it. So I can't provide the full circle.
I'm not an OEM.
I truly enjoy researching other's problems, and what I will do is choose the best course of action in hopes I won't have to open mine and look.

Sorry for that and thank you at the same time.

This over-engining thing that rejects engineering in favor of performance can be summarized as "the cows coming home". Wink
We all did it, and we all knew it was a risk, and we are trying to mitigate that by understanding it better, adjusting our ways.
Some of us are trying some things.
Nobody is reducing HP, in fact they are increasing HP.
This is like kids running the show, isn't it?

I can't promise any results. But some things will help for sure.
Better lubrication by cleanliness is one certain factor.
Reduced duty-cycle is another.
Part quality is another (difficult for both builder and consumers to implement).

Good luck and thank you very much for reporting, your efforts have advanced the understanding.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

Matt Steedle is da man Cool

Thank you for documenting your experience in an objective way for the community.

If I may, which bearing carrier did end up being installed in the end?
I see 2 versions here on your thread, the aluminum SA version for which I sell the retainer plate for the mainshaft ball bearing

And the regular version, which looks like to be aluminum too here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Matt Steedle is da man Cool

Thank you for documenting your experience in an objective way for the community.

If I may, which bearing carrier did end up being installed in the end?
I see 2 versions here on your thread, the aluminum SA version for which I sell the retainer plate for the mainshaft ball bearing

And the regular version, which looks like to be aluminum too here:

Hi Alika,
I love reading your threads and projects. I cant imagine how difficult it is to get parts and such in HI (think thats where you are), anyways, thanks for contributing to this community!

To your question, the only answer I can provide is what I was charged. on the invoice from steedle I have the line item:
New OEM Volkswagen aluminum gear carrier for 094 2WD

So thats the best answer I can give, Steedle provided me all the pictures in this thread related to the trans, so if there is mismatch of pictures, I couldnt tell you. Not sure if that helps...
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

Hey SODO,
Yea Matt's a standup guy. As for this repair Matt was awesome and split it with me even though it was deemed user error. Matt didnt charge me any labor and provided me all his parts at cost (so he didnt make any money on this work and thus by extension he probably lost money for time is money, right?). I was very thankful of Matt doing this for me.

The more I read your responses Sodo the more it makes me question why i didnt opt to go w/ a Subaru Gears trans instead of the Vanagon trans. My thinking is, if the power is causing so much of a headach for the vanagon trans why not use the trans that was developed for the engine? Originally I didnt opt for this because of the cost (And Steedle shared some stories with me about his experience with the subaru trans and it seemed like it wasnt the right choice. But after this repair, I am just about at the cost for the subaru trans and would have gained 5th gear.

So I dont know, if someone were to ask me on the street what trans would I recommend (Subaru gears or Vanagon), I am not sure what my answer would be.

As always, appreciate your insight and thoughts.

-Dana
Sodo wrote:
Dana I hear you.

We can do this in the west because we can get off the 70-80 MPH freeways, and put down lots of miles, in a lovely way, at 55-60mph.

If Steedle were to say "no more warranties for conversion engines" that is within his rights, totally logical and any engineer would/should back him up.
I know you're an engineer. Wink
And that you do stand behind him.

I have all new shafts and all new gears too and am in a position to test my own advice, but i don't want to take it apart and check up on it. So I can't provide the full circle.
I'm not an OEM.
I truly enjoy researching other's problems, and what I will do is choose the best course of action in hopes I won't have to open mine and look.

Sorry for that and thank you at the same time.

I can't promise any results. But some things will help for sure.
Better lubrication by cleanliness is one certain factor.
Reduced duty-cycle is another.
Part quality is another (difficult for both builder and consumers to implement).

Good luck and thank you very much for reporting, your efforts have advanced the understanding.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanaru Conversion complete, M. Steedle Trans - 2wd pics Reply with quote

I honestly wish I knew if the Subaru was the way to go.
It sure SEEMS like the thing to do.

Maybe not for a syncro for my usage.
You 'd have to pry that granny from my cold, dead fingers.
There's no way to add a compound shaft to a Subaru AWD trans.

One guy I talked to said he can't tell by looking why a Subaru trans should be any stronger, other than the few solvable vanagon problems.
The cases look very lightweight in comparison.
For whatever that's worth.
I have never seen inside a Subaru trans.
The shaft-to-shaft distance is an interesting metric that relates somewhat to power capacity.
Does anyone know the distance for the Subaru 5mt?
VW shaft distance is about 102mm.

The one thing he postulates, is the Subaru trans are all 'young' and the Vanagon trans are all 'old'.
(and IMHO, both are "unmaintained" with the VWs being old plus unmaintained).

We have to "wait" for the Subaru trans to prove themselves and become numerous enough to judge them.
But just by logic, it seems like a trans from a 6-cyl should be good for a vanagon.

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: