Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

shifters
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: shifters Reply with quote

im sure this has been discussed but what's yalls opinion on shifters? like any better than another?
honestly the only ones ive ever seen / driven are either stock vw, the old cast aluminum short throw, or the " mini" chrome empi ones.
oh, i do have some old , aftermarket shifter that has the 2 finger ring reverse lock out lever in my baja. not sure who made it & its seen better days, but still a more solid unit than others ive driven.
at one time i looked into a sequential shifter but couldn't see spending the money on it.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

I have a older EMPI trigger shifter [Hurst copy] in my car and it works fine, I don't know what the new one are like though.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

Hurst.....1970.....moved it to new beetles many times ....still shifts like new.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

I have a Hurst in the FG buggy. And a short shift kit in the bug. For the money/time argument its the way to go, makes a huge difference. I went this way, until I run across deal, that can't be passed up. And that deal has to pretty sweet for me to act on it. I have no complaints. Don't forget the new bushing and rear linkage.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

Rich, That 'two holer' ya got sounds like an old Empi
I've had purdy good luck with Scat's & old Hurst's
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

i HAD THE BUGPOOP WITH THE BUTTON. IT WAS OK TILL THE BUTTON STARTED GIVING ISSUES.. I REPLACED IT WITH THE SCAT DRAG FAST INTO REVERSE GEAR SHIFTER...WITCH i REWORKED SO IT WOULD WORK RIGHT,( THEY NEED A ADJUSTABE GATE FOR REVERSE AND BIGGER MOUNT HOLES WITH BIGGER WASHER TO COVER THAT HOLE SO THE SHIFTER CAN BE FINE TUNED TO THE CAR AND TRANS. AFTER THAT I LOVED THE SCAT SHIFTER, SHORT THROW, NEVER MISS A GEAR, SHINNY, NICE "T" HANDLE, BUT...THAT T HANDLE GETS TOO HOT IN THE SUN AND TOO COLD IN THE WINTER...SO i MADE A "T" HANDLE COVER FOR ALL SEASONS...NO HOT NO COLD. ( THE CAST ALUMINUM SHIFTER'S NEED TOE "ball pivot" REWORKED SO IT IS ROUND...THEN THEY SHIFT MUCH NICER!!!!
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

Vintage Speed is the bomb. I’m not a “T” handle kinda guy...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
Vintage Speed is the bomb. I’m not a “T” handle kinda guy...

When you get the car running and driving. You're gonna love that shift lever.
I have one and it works fantastic.

My trans builder stated, "Trans warranty is only applied to Berg or stock VW shift levers." Until he drove my car with the VS shift lever.
He changed his mind on shift levers after that. He really like the VS shift lever.

The lever is very precise in shift pattern and easy to install and maintain.
Make damn sure that you have the shift rod coupler tight and the grub screw safety wired.
Or you'll be disappointed in the missed shifts. I missed that when setting mine up and had a few scary moments on steep uphill down shifts.

Have fun with it.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

I'm currently a stock shifter kinda guy but the vintage speed one did catch my eye. I was actually going to post that earlier but I figured "what's the point" since I have no real experience with it.

I'm attached to my old worn out shifter and push down style reverse for now tho Twisted Evil
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
I'm currently a stock shifter kinda guy but the vintage speed one did catch my eye. I was actually going to post that earlier but I figured "what's the point" since I have no real experience with it.

I'm attached to my old worn out shifter and push down style reverse for now tho Twisted Evil

A buddy and I looked at a 66 today.
He asked me to test drive the car and give him an assessment on the car over all.
I told the seller that I haven't had to push down on a lever for quite some time when backing the car out of his garage.
It was a weird feeling to make that move after over three years of pulling up on the reverse ring to select reverse.
It's easy to get used to! Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

Yeah I did a lot of research on the shifter too.
From an engineering standpoint (which I am NOT😂) I don’t like that the boot doesn’t fit over the base?! Wouldn’t you think dirt would get stuck down in there and eventually get cruddy???
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

I have had the EMPI Trigger Shifter, Bugpack T-handle, Berg w/Ball handle, and a Scat Dragfast

After all of those over the years, the Scat was the best in my opinion. It is also funny that I am currently running the EMPI shifter because I had it left over and didn't like the Berg unit...and I am not trying to beat up the Berg shifter. It is a really nice unit, but even with the "extra bend" option, I had to reach/bend to shift. It was just a tad too short.

Anyone try the Coolrydes shifter?
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I have had the EMPI Trigger Shifter, Bugpack T-handle, Berg w/Ball handle, and a Scat Dragfast

After all of those over the years, the Scat was the best in my opinion. It is also funny that I am currently running the EMPI shifter because I had it left over and didn't like the Berg unit...and I am not trying to beat up the Berg shifter. It is a really nice unit, but even with the "extra bend" option, I had to reach/bend to shift. It was just a tad too short.

Anyone try the Coolrydes shifter?

Berg makes the 14" version . i had the same issue like you
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

the VS shifter reverse is a direct copy of the reverse style found in many modern cars. i like it a lot.

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

I have an Flat4 Empi Eliminator copy. I'm not much for a T-handle either.
Switched to a ball.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
Yeah I did a lot of research on the shifter too.
From an engineering standpoint (which I am NOT😂) I don’t like that the boot doesn’t fit over the base?! Wouldn’t you think dirt would get stuck down in there and eventually get cruddy???

I don’t like the urethane ball end either. How quickly does that wear out?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

The “ball” was the Porsche upgrade. I decided to get it. It was available with and without. Apparently it makes shifts much smoother. Which I couldn’t tell you as I haven’t driven the car in like 4 years???😂😂
It sits in the garage under a WW cover.😡
Yeah I prefer BALLZ.
SHIFTER BALLZ!!!
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

I rebuilt my shifter linkage and ran the stock one for a while with a short shift plate. It worked okay, but not great. I have a og Hurst Copper now and I love it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: shifters Reply with quote

I like the original hursts myself, I think I would probably like the vintage speed. I like the looks of the eliminator shifter with the ball though
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: