Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Engines cores that can't be verified as running are about $100, its value mostly being in the mounted accessories.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Engines cores that can't be verified as running are about $100, its value mostly being in the mounted accessories.

Okay. It's extremely rare for any ACVW engine to come up for sale here. He wanted $250 we settled at $200,
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

It came apart much easier than I thought it would.

I have a set of genuine single port tins and useable heater boxes if nothing else.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was 60 here today so it was nice to have something to work on outside.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to build an old school (1980s is old school to me) 1835 with baby webers like my VW mentor had
Here's a 1500 SP with Weber ICTs that a friend built for another friend about 10 years ago. Note the 36 hp oil bath air cleaners for a true "old school" (like 1960's) look.

Chances are that your new/used 1500 case will need machine work. Consider going to 88 mm thick-wall cylinders for 1679 cc. Those don't need any machining on the case opening, but for yours, I'd recommend having the cylinder openings on the case "faced", and having case savers installed. That would leave having your heads machined for the 88's which is the same head diameter as for 90.5's. Or go for the 1835 and have the case bored accordingly.

You should try using the original fan shroud from your 1500 engine with the heat air outlets. There "should" be enough clearance to the inside of the carbs for a factory shroud. Your 1500 cylinder tins are definitely reusable after cleaning off the grease. Use either sandblasting, or wire wheel cup on an angle grinder to get most of the rust off. Use spray can sandable primer/filler to help fill the rust pockmarks, wet-sand with 320 grit, then final spray with semi-gloss black.

I hope you discover that the 1500's heads (and the case guts) are usable, especially with the risk that water got down into the intake manifold without a carburetor to block access. Are you using a nut splitter or cutoff disc to remove the muffler and heater box attachment nuts from the head studs? I see that the upper nut for the #4 exhaust port is already broken off.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Here's a 1500 SP with Weber ICTs that a friend built for another friend about 10 years ago. Note the 36 hp oil bath air cleaners for a true "old school" (like 1960's) look.

OMG that is beautiful! that would be perfect for Charlie since I plan to keep her stock appearance with white wall tires and factory spindles, no lowering and such!

Rome wrote:
Chances are that your new/used 1500 case will need machine work. Consider going to 88 mm thick-wall cylinders for 1679 cc.

Yes this is on my list of considerations!

Rome wrote:
I hope you discover that the 1500's heads (and the case guts) are usable, especially with the risk that water got down into the intake manifold without a carburetor to block access.

Risk? oh it definitely did. The inside of the intake manifold is rusted and I took the road side valve cover off since it was leaking, tilted the motor and water came out.

Rome wrote:
Are you using a nut splitter or cutoff disc to remove the muffler and heater box attachment nuts from the head studs? I see that the upper nut for the #4 exhaust port is already broken off.

I had to use hammer and chisel to split and remove #3 exhaust, #1 came off with just some PB blaster, the upper of #4 was already broken off and #2 came off with just PB blaster as well.

Had to use vice grips on the tin screws by #3 only, the rest came off easy.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

A solid mass of sludge kept the water away from the metal here so that may have saved it.

I don't have a case splitter so i'll have to round one of those up. Will try to get the heads off soon.

scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

TheRide wrote:
...I don't have a case splitter so i'll have to round one of those up...
Glad to see the case looks in good shape! You don't usually need a case splitter to open the case up. There are two or more flat parts of the casting made to tap on to split the case open. Sometimes they are stuck or glued together but most of the time if you can't get a case apart with a deadblow or a hammer and block of wood, there's a nut that you missed.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

I don't think you need a case splitter. Make sure you get all the perimeter nuts and bolts off (M8 nut), and of course the 6 large center nuts on the right half of the case. The ones most people miss are the two M8 nuts down low on the #1 cylinder side of the case. When you have all nuts off, take a block of wood and place one end against the "ear" at the upper rear (pulley) left case half end. Give it a few gentle taps with a medium hammer. Move the wood along the top of the case back to where the case rises up for the flywheel. There's another upward-protruding ear there, also on the left case half. A few more taps. Tilt the case upwards so you can access the bottom of the case. Put an M8 nut onto one of the studs a few turns, and hit that nut with the wood with a few taps. This breaks the initial case split hold and should enable you to pull the oil pump off. With the pump off, you can move the wood around for a few knocks evenly at those places, and you should notice the case halves move apart more. NEVER pry the case halves apart using a metal object, since that can leave marks on the machined case half surface and be a potential oil leak upon assembly.

You'll probably not reuse the lifters nor camshaft at all, so it won't matter that the lifters can fall out of their holes as you separate the case. If the cam turns out to be OK, use new stock-spec lifters.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Glad to see the case looks in good shape!

So far so good.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

#4 is pretty rough shape. Suggestions for what to soak it in to get the jug off?

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

My basic degreaser is a 5 gal plastic bucket with lid from HW store, and 2 gallons of diesel fuel. Keep this outside and put the lid on after you place the head in. Let it soak overnight. Next day, or whenever it's warm enough to work outside, I put the bucket on top of an inverted garbage can for a comfortable working height. Wear solvent-resistant rubber gloves. Use a stiff bristle parts washing brush to work the grease off. You can balance the head across the bucket opening if all 4 of your exhaust studs are present.

The oxidation can be removed with various brass-bristle brushes. I start with a medium-size BBQ grill hand brush, then use a round one on a power drill. A cone-shaped brush on a drill works well when you hold it vertically to reach the combustion chamber "walls" outboard of the valves. The brass won't gouge the aluminum like steel bristles would.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
head

Okay, but what about removing the cylinder? recommendations for what to pour in there to help break the rings free?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

That makes sense; "jug"; I must've thought you made a typo for "junk". I've also been faced with heavily rusted cylinders on a few core engines, with similar rust debris to yours collected on the cylinder inside bottoms. The cylinder walls would be pockmarked with corrosion, meaning many small pits on the wall on which the cylinder metal had deteriorated. Even if you could get the cylinder off and run a hone down the walls to remove surface corrosion, those pockmarks leave voids which reduce the effectiveness of the piston rings. Increased blow-by is the result. Such a cylinder would be OK for an "engine blow contest" type engine or for assembly practice, but would not be optimal for a long-term driver IMO. So I invested in new cylinders, and on another engine, a new piston/cylinder set.

What were my methods for jug removal? On one engine, I held a propane torch to the cylinder, hoping that the concentrated heat would expand the rust and break the corrosion bond from the cylinder to the piston rings. That did not work, but if you had an acetylene torch that produces more heat, that could work. So I tilted the engine upwards so that the corroded cylinder faced upwards. I poured in a mix of automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and acetone to about 1" fluid height and let it sit for a week. Idea was that this would work itself down past the rust to the piston rings. Well, after a week the piston did not budge after hitting the piston with a wood stick and hammer... so getting impatient, I hit the top of the piston with a flat-end tip of an impact hammer/air chisel to forcibly press the piston down. That worked, but the piston top received many indentations from the hard metal tip. It was a dished low compression bus piston anyway...

On another engine I used a sawzall to cut a notch into the outer side of the cylinder, chiseled the cylinder apart into fragments. That created access to the outer piston wrist pin clip. Did the same to the adjacent cylinder which freed up access to the first piston's other (inner) wrist pin clip. Once the two pistons were off on one side of the engine, I could rotate the engine using the flywheel as leverage to pop the cylinders off the base on the other side of the case.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

That piston and cylinder are junk!

I have tried sometimes for months to free up rusted cylinders. All sorts of solvents, half ATF and Acetone, heat cycles, dry ice cycles and sometimes violence. On the occasions that I have got the piston to move you will find as mentioned above that there is significant corrosion where the rings have rusted to the bore. Honing will not normally remove this before the ring to cylinder clearance becomes excessive.

You need to drill the piston out. Try and find where the piston pin is and then drill some 1/4" to 1/2" holes through the piston top 90 degrees to where the piston pin lies being careful not to drill into it if you are trying to save it. Drill radially on both sides of the piston pin then use a chisel or sharp implement to crack open the piston top. This will free up the piston and you can usually get the broken bits up and out and release your conrod.

Edit: More or less similar process to Rome's above. I just have more control over a drill than a sawzall.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
That piston and cylinder are junk!

I never had any intention of reusing them however they did all come off amazingly easily. A little liquid wrench spray and a rubber mallet and about 30 minutes all 4 were off.

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

OK. I misunderstood you. I thought you were unable to remove the cylinders because the pistons were totally stuck.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
unable to remove the cylinders because the pistons were totally stuck.

I had assumed this was the case because the crankshaft would not rotate but it turned out to not be so.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Nice to see some progress Smile. Yes this nice weather down south the last few weeks has been nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

The intake is badly rusted on the inside. Is there any hope for it?

I have been envisioning the right size brush to do like a chimney...but maybe a brillo pad on a string will work? Possibly only the end pieces with a dual port center section...so can use a 34-3 carb.

If I end up having to buy heads i'll get DP but i'm trying to salvage as much as possible.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: