Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Ghia vert, what is this part, do I need it? Trim for top
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: 63 Ghia vert, what is this part, do I need it? Trim for top Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Need some help on identifying a part and if I need it for a 63 Ghia vert. I have the rubber piece closest to the door fastened by the chrome ornamental plate, but couldn't find if I need the longer black vinyl piece that goes under the rubber piece along the metal trim toward vert top pictured in the two photos from the Ghia gallery. Anyone know what its called, where to get it and if a 63 Ghia needs it?
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ghia vert, what is this part, do I need it? Trim for top Reply with quote

The part you are referring to is called "Convertible Side Panel Cover Strip". Or at least that's what Airhead Parts (KGPR) calls it. They sell them in pairs for about $30. Part number is 141-867-307 BKPR.

It is not necessary but it does give a finished look. I bought a pair. They are just flimsy plastic covers. I don't know what the originals looked like.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ghia vert, what is this part, do I need it? Trim for top Reply with quote

Thanks Marc, really appreciate it. There seems to be a million parts to track down so appreciate the Samba knowledge base.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ghia vert, what is this part, do I need it? Trim for top Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
The part you are referring to is called "Convertible Side Panel Cover Strip". Or at least that's what Airhead Parts (KGPR) calls it. They sell them in pairs for about $30. Part number is 141-867-307 BKPR.

It is not necessary but it does give a finished look. I bought a pair. They are just flimsy plastic covers. I don't know what the originals were like as far as quality.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ghia vert, what is this part, do I need it? Trim for top Reply with quote

The originals are a bit thicker and have a grainy look, at least that's how my original broken ones look. The repro's are thin plastic, I think you can get a sheet at a hobby store, cut it to shape and hit it lightly with a heat gun and they would look just as good.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ghia vert, what is this part, do I need it? Trim for top Reply with quote

Just ordered a set from Airhead, hopefully they are ok quality. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Now trying to figure out that rivet.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Ghia vert, what is this part, do I need it? Trim for top Reply with quote

Big Mike Cbad wrote:
........ Now trying to figure out that rivet.

Some guy asked the same question ages ago opening a can of worms.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=322892
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Ghia vert, what is this part, do I need it? Trim for top Reply with quote

That was really helpful. Talk about detailed information, wow. The samba has been so helpful now that I have really dug into the restoration of my Ghia. Thanks for forwarding the thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: