Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Muffler Fabrication & Design
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

looks cool. I have been playing around with black widow mufflers on other cars, I don't think it will sound right on a vw for all the reasons JPaull mentioned, but some of the deflector designs (instead of "chambers" might interest you. Zero drone in my cars unlike flowmasters

https://www.blackwidowexhaust.com/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

...Very nice work! Watching in interest!

Ray

Thanks! I appreciate all the feedback and tips. I think I may have stumbled upon your muffler dissection thread at some point but I'm glad you posted it again here for easy reference. That's is all very cool to see.

This stainless wool I have is very coarse but probabaly not quite as much as the stuff you found inside the Ernst.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

@Erik G

Thanks, I'm hoping it will sound good on it's own but I may add a smaller muffler behind this one I'm making. I have a 12" straight section after the collector which I can splice in a second muffler if I want to. If I do that I'm not sure if I should go with a straight through glass pack type thing, or a small 12" long chamber style muffler like the black widow.

I actually found out about the black widow muffler a while ago when I was doing the exhaust on my other car and I thought they were cool, but I ended up cheaping out and getting some flowmaster type knock off things.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

something else that mufflers / exhaust can do if not right for the engine is cause tuning issues .
I had a 12" glass pack going to a tri flow muffler when I first got the car on the road . I couldn't get rid of a rich afr spike from 4000 to 4600 . removed the triflow and the spike went away . Yet on another mild engine I have, that combination works fine .
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
something else that mufflers / exhaust can do if not right for the engine is cause tuning issues .
I had a 12" glass pack going to a tri flow muffler when I first got the car on the road . I couldn't get rid of a rich afr spike from 4000 to 4600 . removed the triflow and the spike went away . Yet on another mild engine I have, that combination works fine .

Well damn. I'll keep that in mind but I'm not even sure how I would notice an issue like that since I dont have any O² sensors, or fuel injection. Is that something that can be measured with the carb sync tool, "the snail?"
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

I have an afr gauge but I could also feel the power drop . Without the AFR gauge I would have been clueless to why . I spent along time modifying emulsion tubes etc before reading the trouble some have had with a CSP exhaust system , that started me looking at the exhaust .
AFR gauges are well worth the investment and will pay for themselves in fuel saving .
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

Good to know. I will definitely think about getting one.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

Ok, so the muffler is finished and exhaust tacked together. I will update this again once I finish the engine and will include more specifics and extra pictures in my built thread also. My music tech friend told me he will bring his expensive mics and recording equipment over so I can get a good sound sample.

I added brackets and had to add some dimpled sections to get it nice and tight up against the header. I also made support brackets for the muffler that attach to the header tubes. I just need to cut out holes and add the pea shooters. Also waiting on a second V-band clamp to actually attach the muffler. I will make a jig using an old stock exhaust I have to get the placement of the tips correct. I decided to go with a 2 inch exhaust tube diameter, I know it might seem small but I think it will be proper for the engine size. It's definitely not TOO big, which was one of my concerns initially. I feel this is a commonly overlooked factor when choosing exhaust size. IMO with too big of an exhaust diameter you will lose exhaust velocity... bigger is not always better is what I'm saying I guess

Last edited by evanfrucht on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

NICE, that's one of the finest apron cooker designs I've seen yet.
Definitely potential there.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

modok wrote:
NICE, that's one of the finest apron cooker designs I've seen yet.
Definitely potential there.

I can maybe adjust the valves without removing anything Cool Laughing

And thanks! I'm excited to see what it does!

From my measurements it will fit, but barely.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

That’s badass man. I’m impressed. I wonder if you should’ve riveted the end of the metal in case you have to open it up and re pack it? Just a thought?
The inside was just too purdy hahaha
Where does it exit? To the left of the canister?
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
That’s badass man. I’m impressed. I wonder if you should’ve riveted the end of the metal in case you have to open it up and re pack it? Just a thought?
The inside was just too purdy hahaha
Where does it exit? To the left of the canister?

Thanks! That is a good idea about leaving one side open. Actually making the muffler honestly didn't take THAT long, and I'm hoping the stainless packing will last (its supposedly never burns out.) If anything I can cut it back open and pack it and then put a new skin on it semi-easy enough, but it's also mild steel so it will eventually rust out from the inside as well (again, years from now) so I guess if it came down to it I might just make a whole new one eventually. Also at some point when I finally get a tig welder setup for home I plan to make an even nicer version in stainless.

And it's going to be a dual tip muffler. You can faintly see the two little X's where the tips need to come out roughly. I explained it sort of in my long winded last post ... I'm keepin those pea-shooter's baby! Dancing
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

Oh yeah that’s right! I remember mentioning the hot dog type exhaust.
Yeah that turned out really nice! Good job
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Wreck wrote:

Well damn. I'll keep that in mind but I'm not even sure how I would notice an issue like that since I dont have any O² sensors, or fuel injection. Is that something that can be measured with the carb sync tool, "the snail?"

I was going to ask the same question. HOW are you going to measure the flow of the muffler to insure that it doesn't have too little flow(too much back-pressure) or too much flow(not enough back-pressure)

We make muffler systems for old t-birds and corvettes and the insides of different mufflers flow differently for specific engine combos. We never actually experimented with the insides, we just followed the directions from the people we bought the company from.

Back to VW mufflers, I am having a major problem right now with the availability of aftermarket exhaust systems. The ones I've used for years are all on backorder, which I know flow correctly for the specific engines I am building. Of course, they have pallets and pallets of the systems that flow about as well as the stock muffler, which is NOT GOOD; so I had to change suppliers to a Made in the USA company for almost twice the price.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

I'm not one to let my doubts and uncertainty shy me away from doing something. I wanted to experiment with this. The comments about potential tuning issues remind me of the responses I get from my friends... "don't you NEED to buy those?" ... they never tried and write it off as impossible. A lot of people seem to just pick out some universal muffler and say "I like that one" and they bolt it on to their merged header or sidewinder. People rarely measure the back pressure and flow of these random generic mufflers to see how well they match their engines requirements. ALSO, much data can be calculated roughly using math anyway and backpressure and flow are two different things which are not related so simply. Exhaust velcocity (how quickly it flows and exits the exhaust) is also an important factor which was not mentioned, but I took it into consideration.

I was not impressed with the innards of the knock off Phat boy that came with this AA sidewinder, when I cut it upon it was basically just a glorified cherry bomb. Instead of buying one off the shelf that IS NOT even specifically made for these engine I tried to make one. No one made the exhaust I wanted, the way I wanted, so I built it MYSELF with my hands. I did do research on muffler design, and well... we will see how it works. I figure if I end up with some tuning issues I can investigate to see if it is the muffler. Everything will be attached with V band clamps which will make it easy to try something new or modify things.

I'm not the kind of guy to just pick out a bunch fancy parts from the catalog and bolt them together. The creative aspect is the real fun for me.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:07 am; edited 3 times in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
I'm not one to let my doubts and uncertainty shy me away from doing something. I wanted to experiment with this. The comments about potential tuning issues remind me of the responses I get from my friends... "don't you NEED to buy those?" A lot of people seem to just pick out some universal muffler and say "I like that one" and they bolt it on to their merged header or sidewinder. People rarely measure the back pressure and flow. ALSO, these figures can be calculated roughly using math anyway. Also backpressure and flow are two different things which are not related that simply. Exhaust velcocity (how quickly it flows and exits the exhaust) is also an important factor which wasn't mentioned, but I took into consideration.

I was not impressed with the innards of the knock off Phat boy that came with this AA sidewinder, when I cut it upon it was basically just a glorified cherry bomb. Instead of buying one off the shelf that IS NOT even specifically made for thse engine, I tried to made one.

No one made the exhaust I wanted, the way I wanted, so I made it MYSELF with my hands. I did do research on muffler design, and well, we will see how it works. If figure if I end up with some tuning issues I can investigate to see if is the muffler, and everything will be attached with V band clamps which will make it easy to try something new or modify things.

I'm not the kind of guy to just pick out a bunch fancy parts from the catalog and bolt them together. The creative aspect is the real fun for me.

What you are doing is VERY COOL as most people wouldn't even have a clue on where to start. I was just asking questions on HOW you plan to do it as I(and many other builders) have spent hundreds or thousands of hours experimenting with exhaust systems to find out what works best with what. I once spent a solid week with 4 different engines(stock, 1776, 1914 and 2110) and experimented with exhaust systems, AFR mixture, and the effect on EGT's, HP and torque. I have seen two systems that looked identical from the outside but acted completely different on the same engine due to the inside of the muffler(or lack thereof)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

I'm with Modok. I think it's great that you are doing this and I look forward to seeing how it performs and more so, how it sounds! Anyone can buy different mufflers and bolt them on over the counter headers, hell I've put three different mufflers on one of mine, before I decided on a sound, look, and performance that I was pleased with. I am curious what size tip(s) you are going to run and will you make it so that you can change the tip size for different sounds? Just a thought. Keep up the work, can't wait to hear it
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:
I'm not one to let my doubts and uncertainty shy me away from doing something. I wanted to experiment with this. The comments about potential tuning issues remind me of the responses I get from my friends... "don't you NEED to buy those?" A lot of people seem to just pick out some universal muffler and say "I like that one" and they bolt it on to their merged header or sidewinder. People rarely measure the back pressure and flow. ALSO, these figures can be calculated roughly using math anyway. Also backpressure and flow are two different things which are not related that simply. Exhaust velcocity (how quickly it flows and exits the exhaust) is also an important factor which wasn't mentioned, but I took into consideration.

I was not impressed with the innards of the knock off Phat boy that came with this AA sidewinder, when I cut it upon it was basically just a glorified cherry bomb. Instead of buying one off the shelf that IS NOT even specifically made for thse engine, I tried to made one.

No one made the exhaust I wanted, the way I wanted, so I made it MYSELF with my hands. I did do research on muffler design, and well, we will see how it works. If figure if I end up with some tuning issues I can investigate to see if is the muffler, and everything will be attached with V band clamps which will make it easy to try something new or modify things.

What you are doing is VERY COOL as most people wouldn't even have a clue on where to start. I was just asking questions on HOW you plan to do it as I(and many other builders) have spent hundreds or thousands of hours experimenting with exhaust systems to find out what works best with what. I once spent a solid week with 4 different engines(stock, 1776, 1914 and 2110) and experimented with exhaust systems, AFR mixture, and the effect on EGT's, HP and torque. I have seen two systems that looked identical from the outside but acted completely different on the same engine due to the inside of the muffler(or lack thereof)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

Thanks! I do plan to do as much testing as I can on this once the engine is up and running. I may get an AFR meter of some sort. I also plan to bring to a dyno at some point. The real life experience of driving this car daily will probabaly also let me know if something doesn't feel right, atleast to an extent. I'll have a CHT and oil temp sensors which can clue me in on backpressure problems, too much and the heads will get too hot. It's not an exact science, but might help rule out or identify any major problems from the get go.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

c77owen wrote:
I'm with Modok. I think it's great that you are doing this and I look forward to seeing how it performs and more so, how it sounds! Anyone can buy different mufflers and bolt them on over the counter headers, hell I've put three different mufflers on one of mine, before I decided on a sound, look, and performance that I was pleased with. I am curious what size tip(s) you are going to run and will you make it so that you can change the tip size for different sounds? Just a thought. Keep up the work, can't wait to hear it

Yep, very excited for the sound!

For the tips, I plan to make them replaceable. I was thinking maybe some sort of slip fit joint that can be clamped with a band clamp. For the size I havent decided but am leaning towards 1.75 inch ID tubing, and have the pipes be stainless or chrome with rolled tips.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
With 1 muffler you will always have that piece of crap high pitched whistly sound in the upper rpms that VWs make. No matter what you do it will be there. It might sound decent inside the car but outside it sounds crappy. I have seen some of the most famous vw pioneers driving their hotrod vw going through the gears with their fat boy style muffler whistling away fart canning it up and they think its cool. The exhaust speed is so fast cause the muffler is so close, And its a 4 cylinder. Having multiple mufflers like wreck shown is good, or split into 2 mufflers. Just want to give u a heads up before you spend 30 hours on the 1 muffler and it still has the disappointing attributes.

not always.I had a dam nice muffler on my bug that I wish i had kept when I sold the car and put a slurper traper on it thats hanging on the wall...it had a ss powertone 3 core skiny,small muffler on it..saddely they nolonger make them now they make fart cannons...in cali. I wish I had that for my 356.
I didnt want it too loud, so befor I put it on my bug I made a deverter so the center tube wouldent flow much at all..it was oh so quiet.I removed the deverter. very nice deep tone kinda like a 3 or 4 chamber flow master but not. the body was only about 12~16"long and2.5"~3" thick. and it had a heat shield attached!!!
IMHO all the turbo style mufflers being sold for our carts are way too big tube dia. to ,out&inside the muffler.
as for the ops post&his work, not bad. but he could incorprate the muffler into the header collector... also that collector is way rong. needs a ventouri collector to make the headerr do it's job. dumping into very large spaces causes some issues.like tubliing gasses that have lost ther direction and cool too fast loosing the air speed right at the collector. and expansions create flow losses... build a ventouri collector for it so the ehader can do it's work then start expanding spaces for a muffler. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: