Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

^^ I meant to say if you have a roof *rack* or some other means of carrying a bike either on the top or the back of the bus. Anyhow let you decide the merits of that.

Here is Wheelie Pete's adventure from a few years back- my how the years fly by..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

I advocate small nut because bearing replacement is simpler than big nut. I like reduction gears for additional ground clearance and hill climbing ability. I don’t know the roads you will travel but I would expect a few rough ones.
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Sounds like a great trip, presumably you speak Spanish (and English too) which should be a great advantage when travelling through Latin America. A smart phone with a data plan is always a good thing, although I am sure there will be areas where you have no reception.

As others have stated stuff will break so best be ready to accept that and fix it. Part of the adventure. If you have roof somewhere on the bus to put a cheapish bicycle or two it may be handy. Great for parts runs or in a backup plan in case of an extreme breakdown! Just a thought am sure you already know this better than I.

Have a great trip- start a dedicated thread/ social media feed etc.. people will want to follow along with your adventures. Perhaps a sponsor or two wants to put a sticker etc on your bus and help out with some of your costs?

Finally check out Wheelie Pete's awesome trip from Detroit to Alaska and back a a few years ago in his 66' bus. Awesome adventure!

Hello velvetgreen, thank you for all your comments!

I'm from Argentina, so my first language is Spanish, and Claire is from the US and speaks perfect spanish as well, so we're both 100% bilingual. That will certainly help us!

We do expect things to break, and that's why we avoided going to the mechanic during the whole process. All the work listed was done by ourselves, so now we know a lot about the bus and hopefully we'll be able to tackle the repairs.

For now we only have a Facebook, Instagram, and website (linked on the signature, please check them out!), all of them under onehappykombi. We might document the whole adventure on video and put it up on youtube as well.

Wheelie Pete's trip looks amazing!! We had never heard of him and it's great to find about people with experiences like this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you again for your comments!!

OneHappyKombi

Overlanding the USA
Camper special engine build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

Wheelie Pete is the best example of how to do these trips in the modern era, not over loaded and fearless. You 2 would make an awesome you-tube channel!

Maybe a short "shake-down" trip or 2 in an area close to you?

Safe travels.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

This rubber brake line might need to be addressed. IT looks like it is pulled to a pretty tight angle which will ultimately end in some failure.

onehappykombi wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

My concern with ^^^that^^^ picture is the apparent cut of the chassis to clear the CV joint! I have IRS on my bus but used type 1 joints so there was no need for clearance. Confused
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

yes, fix the brake line. Provide more pictures for additional safety inspections.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

Those headlights don't look very bright. Consider investing in some effective lighting!

Frankly with the issues of the notched frame, kinked brake lines and welded axles, I'd be concerned about driving 100 miles, let alone transcontinental on secondary roads.

Could you supply some more detailed photos of the complete running gear, front and rear, as well as the engine?

Heinz Nordhoff
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
I would consider going north to south with the reasoning that the weak parts are probably going to break earlier in the trip and you would have better access to services, tools and parts in North America. Just a thought.

Hello Joe Cool!

A lot has changed since we last posted on this site, and time ended up proving you right!

We had to keep postponing our trip due to breakdowns and many other unrelated issues. Then during 2020 Claire was unable to enter Argentina, and if I had left the US I would have been unable to re-enter. So we booked a place in Uruguay to build the interior, because they had not closed borders all year, and 2 days later they went into shutdown.

Being that it's not the time to attempt a bunch of border crossings and unable to go back from NY to our Bus in Argentina, we decided to buy a '69 Bus in Florida, and plan to overland the USA avoiding big cities and visiting as many National Parks as we can!!

Hopefully in the future we'll be able to do a more ambitious continental trip

Overlanding the USA
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Those headlights don't look very bright. Consider investing in some effective lighting!

The lights aren't on in any of the pics but thanks for your concern!

Overlanding the USA
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

keep us posted!
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
id'r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

Are you aware of The Bumfuzzle's 58' Panel America's trip? Might be worth checking out.

https://www.bumfuzzle.com/adventure/

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699902&highlight=65+barn+find
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Wheelie Pete is the best example of how to do these trips in the modern era, not over loaded and fearless. You 2 would make an awesome you-tube channel!

Maybe a short "shake-down" trip or 2 in an area close to you?

Safe travels.

Hello Manfred!

We had to be flexible with our plans, and are finally on the road doing a trip around the USA without crossing borders. We also started a YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYUxRpY1wppHlstFWBO84fA/videos

Hopefully one day we can drive the '56 from Argentina, for now we absolutely love our '69 Cool Very Happy

Overlanding the USA
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

id'r wrote:
Are you aware of The Bumfuzzle's 58' Panel America's trip? Might be worth checking out.

https://www.bumfuzzle.com/adventure/

That's crazy!! I had never seen their story. Their choice of vehicles is insanely perfect

Thank you for sharing!!

Overlanding the USA
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

Insulation does not cause condensation. It will hold moisture against metal if not air gapped away and not let the water dry out, which leads to rusting.
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Insulation does not cause condensation. It will hold moisture against metal if not air gapped away and not let the water dry out, which leads to rusting.

Have you seen the Havelock Wool products?

Overlanding the USA
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

onehappykombi wrote:

Have you seen the Havelock Wool products?

No, but just looked that up, and the problem is it still absorbs water. Which means one would need to ventilate the interior (and probably heat it all up) to get such moisture back out and if you install a covering like wood paneling it can keep it from drying out. We have lived in our panel camper for up to three weeks in cool and even icy conditions.

Still might try it out with the Mylar bubble wrap insulation. Put the bubble side toward the sheet metal which if not over stuffed will allow air to pass between it and the metal. Then add the wool with paneling over that.
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

If you make it out to Colorado, touch base.
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1956 Split - Can we overland the American Continent? Reply with quote

I just subscribed to your youtube channel. Covid era is definitely an odd time to start this adventure. I've been watching KombiLife for years and the struggles they had last year were unique to say the least. It should be getting better now. I think the US has a lot to offer in great driving adventures and an almost limitless variance in terms of natural terrain - definitely enough to keep you occupied until restrictions ease off and you can dust off the passports. Good luck on your adventures and I will be tuned in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: