Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor drive gear
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmy Beetles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

Important question:

When pulling the distributor out, is it normal for the part that mates up to the C grooves that mate the shaft to the gear to follow upward? In other words, it was stuck to the distributor for a couple of inches. I spun the crank manually and it dropped back down. Should I be worried about something internal?

Thanks again.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

There are two washers on the bottom that ride in the case. As long as they didn't fall out, and you re-indexed the gear in the right spot, you're fine.
Jimmy Beetles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

How would I know if the washers fell out?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

Honestly, I would pull the drive gear back out and check. Or just roll the dice.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

Lifting 2 inches is concerning. The nose on the distributor drive is maybe 3/4 of an inch hopefully the shims either stayed on the drive or in place in the case. Without taking the drive completely out and accounting for the shims you don't know. Do not turn the engine over with the distributor off or the drive out as this can damage the distributor drive gear. And yes the distributor drive has a factory orientation. But it is not critical.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

You are likely ok as far as the shims go but, you should absolutely follow the advice above. Not worth rolling the dice on this one. I'd not be overly concerned about the drive coming out part way with the distributor.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

There are normally two shims in there. If you can’t find two, then worry.
Use a magnet to reach in.
If the drive gear came up and then fell back down it probably needs to be re-indexed anyway.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

Its very common with high mileage engines that one or both washers/shims are gone.

Its not a big worry that they are gone....engine damage wise...because they are fiber. They disintegrate with age and changes in oil especially as the oil becomes acidic.

But you need to have them. Check with Glenn Ring. He has all the parts as do a few others here. I think tasb also has parts. They are both distributor guru's. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

Talking about two different things here. The washers under the drive gear are always metal, some had a larger spacer instead. The washers behind the driving dog on the distributor are fiber and there are a few folks here that have those. When you are building engine you need to at least check the backlash.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

Use the pushrod as a tool to install the 2 metal washers before the gear. Foolproof they can’t fall down inside and you can use that rod to center them up
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

I like to add a little greese to the botton shim only , both sides. so it holds inplace and hold the shim above it,but the top shim wont stick to the gear just in case you need to pull it back up Shocked as for the gears that have the half moon on them....eerrrrrrrrr, I try not to use them.

has any body got any feed back on the tiwan made dist shaft gears??? I bought some of the old bugpack gear's many years ago almost 20, that were "remanufactured"or " referbushed"...ya right, but possiab;y better than what Ive pulled from bergerman engines but not by much.they just blast them and sell it. teeth too rough as well as some having half the tooth missing from a old engine that sat with H2o in it for long time...but they look new!!! effing bug poop shit.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

Been working the problem in my head. Measure the distance from the seated distributor drive face to the top of the hole on the case. With the mounting clamp installed on the distributor measure the distance from the bottom of the clamp to the distributor dogs bottom, taking account the dogs swivel and up slack. If your measurement differences are between .020 and .050 on the plus side you should be good. Otherwise it could be the shims are gone or it was never right. And getting the drive indexed to the factory setting is not crucial.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

Good idea that’s setting the backlash I referred to. A good pic and description in Tom Wilson’s book. Here’s some of my pics and believe it or not there are some differences in thickness of washers and even the clamps. You can mix and match till you get it close to perfect. Also the difference between 40 hp gear Mark makes reference to. Progressive Refinement did away with half moon. I won’t throw the old ones away because they are much better than any reproduction. The trick was you had to be TDC to pull the gear or install.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Good idea that’s setting the backlash I referred to. A good pic and description in Tom Wilson’s book.
I got the numbers from Wilson's book.
stewartsoda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

You got me all worried and I had to go check and make sure my washers hadn't fallen out. I've had my case apart for 9 months and was worried I'd lost them a long time ago.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

35 years ago, I was helping a buddy build his first engine. He wanted to install the shims himself...he dropped one inside and we decided to run it. It just sat at the bottom of the cam gear well and never caused a problem as long as he had that Bus (about three years). I'm sure it wasn't going anywhere, it probably just hung out down there until someone split the case again Wink
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Talking about two different things here. The washers under the drive gear are always metal, some had a larger spacer instead. The washers behind the driving dog on the distributor are fiber and there are a few folks here that have those. When you are building engine you need to at least check the backlash.

Ah...yes!
Though the meant that he pulled the distributor APART. What I get for skimming!
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: