Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinion on Scat Valve covers
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

A quick question for those that may know or have an opinion. I am doing a 2.5 l WBX build that will use type 1 Scat rods with the 22mm pin. The rods are 3/8" I-Beam Connecting Rods with ARP 2000 Bolts - VW Journal - 5.394"/137.00mm

While I was on the Scat site, I was looking at these:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They are the Scat stainless steel valve covers which are a reasonable price. Has anyone ever used these? Am I better to to go with Aluminum or chrome? Going to order the rods soon so I should order the valve covers at the same time.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

How do they smell?
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

If you want valve covers that are chrome, buy them. If you want valve covers that work, use the stock ones.

Nothing gained with these unless you are running a high lift cam which may cause the rockers to hit valve covers.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
How do they smell?

Like bling
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

My question was really about how well they would stand up over time. I sandblasted an old original steel set and I could see through them in spots. The original steel ones seem to rust pretty quickly so I though these would stand up better, and any scratching from the bales won't affect anything, but on the chrome ones over time they will and will start to rust. I do appreciate the humor!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

If the price is reasonable to you, then, by all means, go for it!

And post pictures of them installed so we can see them, too!.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
My question was really about how well they would stand up over time. I sandblasted an old original steel set and I could see through them in spots. The original steel ones seem to rust pretty quickly so I though these would stand up better, and any scratching from the bales won't affect anything, but on the chrome ones over time they will and will start to rust. I do appreciate the humor!

And how well they are made. If the metal is thin and is not well formed you'll have a hard time getting a good seal.

BTW stainless steel will eventually get discolored and cheap chrome starts rusting quickly. Good luck on your choice. I hope you get what you want. Truly.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

Do these give you a functional benefit?
It's a visual thing really that is going to look good on the engine stand, but as soon as you install it you are not going to see it.
The aluminum covers with cooling fins imo a much better uograde because you do get "some" cooling off the fins. I do not think it would be much since you need surface area to provide a good cooling benefit.
However, you could also brad blast the aluminum to get it to shine like chrome.
It will also go dull like the chrome will stain from heat.

I think you could be happy with painting your exusting covers with a nice high heat paint that would match other painted parts of the engine like the intake plenum.

Me personally I would spend my money on something else.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

Why all the hate for having attractive valve covers? I can't answer the OP's question but would appreciate him being a guinea pig for all of us, it stands to reason they'd work fine. I appreciate good-looking engine parts.

-Rob
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

I've seen some cool looking aluminum covers, which seem like they could provide some high lift and cooling benefits. Aftermarket chrome just never seems to hold up well.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

I had these installed on that motor before you grabbed it Don...they fit real nice and the price was right -

https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/23641/aluminum-valve-cover-kit-?v=
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

They are great covers. Not for the shiney but for the gasket retainers. Never suffer a slipped gasket again.
VanWagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Scat Valve covers Reply with quote

I bought those exact ones. The bails do not contact on both sites they are supposed to with either valve cover. I tried flipping them but they are asymmetrical so it is oriented correctly. I could fit a piece of cardboard between the bail and the cover on on side so I don't trust it to hold any oil in. I tried bending the bail to make it fit, which I shouldn't have to do with a new part, but that just cracked the finish on the bail and it still is poorly contacting.

I ended up just replacing my stock rusted covers. Wasted $47 on a poorly QC'd product. Return shipping is about $20 so frustrating and not worth my time to get $27 back. Don't buy the GW link above.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: