Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

I picked up my 2WD from Greg last November. This is the configuration of the deck lid:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's about 1" high. I made some panels to level out the foam pad.

The difference in elevation between the pulled out rear seat and the rear pad is not noticeable. We won't know for sure until we're able to sleep on it.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

That's not much at all. Nice.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

White sealant would look a bit better but so far it`s not bad at all.
You could also print a picture of the original lid on a sticker to apply it on to fool the internet Laughing Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

Nuthin2It wrote:
The difference in elevation between the pulled out rear seat and the rear pad is not noticeable. We won't know for sure until we're able to sleep on it.

I highly doubt it that you will notice it. Mine is 2” (or 2-1-2-can’t remember); for me, it alternates between not noticing it at all and noticing it a bit, although I put a couple of spare 2” foam bits on part of the folded seat.

Pro tip: the more you drink around the campfire, the less you will notice it.
Alternatively, the longer you bike, hike, swim, run, climb, etc. during the day, the less you will notice it.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

when i measure the lift off the deck of my boxeer which is in, but not completed yet.. its about 3/4" at minimum. Add the metal material and some lift so that the injectors dont bang the riser.. 1-2" is expected

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
White sealant would look a bit better but so far it`s not bad at all.
You could also print a picture of the original lid on a sticker to apply it on to fool the internet Laughing Laughing

OK, so the top's not very pretty, but you can't disrespect the underside of the lid! Wink

italianman53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

Hello, anyone out there installed Boxeer TDI in an air cooled Vanagon?
The TDI kit works well with waterboxer setup but air cooled sits two inches forward with mounts provided sitting away from frame in rear. One solution would be to modify the transaxle mount which allows engine and transaxle to sit back as does the waterboxer setup. In doing so means the drive axles sit back that same distance. I was told by Greg Blachon that this change in camber would work as it does in the 16” factory production Vanagons. Any thoughts on this setup would be appreciated. Going with the forward setup pushes engine up against firewall and cutting firewall to fit. Also requires modifying both mounts provided with the kit. The backward setup requires modifying the transaxle mount but again moves axles back two inches out of line with rear trailing arms.
Feedback?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

My ALH swap uses a modified trans mount that puts the drivetrain lower and back to the rear. My axles are perfectly centered in the control arm cavity. Both aircooled and early diesels have their axles slightly swept forward, so when you push the trans mount back, it centers them.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

Well, some progress with the install has been made after dealing with cold start issues, fuel leaks, damaged fuel return fitting, split fuel return hose and some coolant hose routing issues. Some other matters popped up that are not related to the Boxeer kit like drive shaft vibration which I hope the 3rd adjust will be the last! Ready for another test drive.
A few questions for those who have installed the EA288 engine:
1- If you have AC, how did you resolve the hoses to compressor and where did you find the VW connector? Custom made hoses?
2- How did you get tachometer to work? Canbus adapter and modify old tack? New tach wired to canbus? Parts sourcing?
3- How did you get glow plug light to dash?

Thx in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

VikingWagen wrote:

2- How did you get tachometer to work? Canbus adapter and modify old tack?

Greg got mine to work. He should be able to help you.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

I am in-process on this conversion.
... and keeping the trans in the same position..

You dont HAVE to modify the mounts to do this, you just need to build some robust way to bring the rear mounts forward off the frame. Pick your method, really.

italianman53 wrote:
Hello, anyone out there installed Boxeer TDI in an air cooled Vanagon?
The TDI kit works well with waterboxer setup but air cooled sits two inches forward with mounts provided sitting away from frame in rear. One solution would be to modify the transaxle mount which allows engine and transaxle to sit back as does the waterboxer setup. In doing so means the drive axles sit back that same distance. I was told by Greg Blachon that this change in camber would work as it does in the 16” factory production Vanagons. Any thoughts on this setup would be appreciated. Going with the forward setup pushes engine up against firewall and cutting firewall to fit. Also requires modifying both mounts provided with the kit. The backward setup requires modifying the transaxle mount but again moves axles back two inches out of line with rear trailing arms.
Feedback?

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

Take a look at this depiction of the factory '82 diesel drivetrain configuration. Notice the forward swept angle of the axles? When you move the drivetrain backwards, it centers that axle angle.

As I mentioned earlier, my TDI with aircooled (091) transaxle is set at the later (091/1) position rearward, which centers the axles. And as an added bonus, since I also dropped the drivetrain down to Syncro height, I'm centered on both the X and Y axes. I'm pretty sure dropping the height on a 2WD install would allow Greg's kit to fit under the lid just like my swap.

y u rune klassik?
paulieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

Hey, I am interested in this swap and I've been doing some research before committing. I noticed these CR 2.0 tdi engines come from the factory with a DEF system. Is this something that's integrated in the Boxeer kit? Or has Boxeer engineered their swap in a way that the DEF system is bypassed? Let me know, thanks!
jimehat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

I too have a Boxeer kit and am readying the van for install. One question I have for those who have completed the conversion is what/where did you install the intercooler?

I would like to use the side vents somehow so I don't have to use the space where the spare tire goes. This location seems to be popular.

Thank you in advance for any information out there.
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

jimehat wrote:
I too have a Boxeer kit and am readying the van for install. One question I have for those who have completed the conversion is what/where did you install the intercooler?

I would like to use the side vents somehow so I don't have to use the space where the spare tire goes. This location seems to be popular.

Thank you in advance for any information out there.

Most installers have opted to mount the intercooler radiator in the clamshell area using a custom skid plate. I may opt for that in the future, but chose to mount it midship between the rails without using a fan. It is supported by 2 aluminum bars bolted to the rails. Time will tell if the air flow is good enough during an uphill run in hot weather. Others have installed a small radiator in the passenger side engine vent area. Seems pretty tight to squeeze that in plus it does require a fan. I moved the intake snorkel to that side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

paulieB wrote:
Hey, I am interested in this swap and I've been doing some research before committing. I noticed these CR 2.0 tdi engines come from the factory with a DEF system. Is this something that's integrated in the Boxeer kit? Or has Boxeer engineered their swap in a way that the DEF system is bypassed? Let me know, thanks!

No, the def system has been deleted. This is not the clean and quiet diesel you see in the Golf or Jettas. All of that gear has been stripped away. The turbo exhaust connects directly to a small muffler. Expect the engine to smoke a bit and leave a black spot on the garage floor.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

I have my heat exchangers (2) mounted midships like that, with a fan on one. The airflow is obviously sufficient since the fan has never been triggered by heatsoak.

y u rune klassik?
jimehat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I have my heat exchangers (2) mounted midships like that, with a fan on one. The airflow is obviously sufficient since the fan has never been triggered by heatsoak.

Will you share some pictures and part specific information?

Thank you
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

My intercooler is mounted flat behind the l/r tailight. It required cutting the sheetmetal out. The engine side is sealed with a panel. No fan. Highway speeds I see 30F degrees over ambient temp. Water cooled intercoolers introduce more
complexity equals more points of failure.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

This is my setup. First pic is front and next is rear.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: