Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Speedometer - Disconnect battery first?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW-Drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Replacing Speedometer - Disconnect battery first? Reply with quote

Ode to the person who says there is never a stupid question. When replacing the speedometer in a bay bus, should one disconnect the battery first?

63 Camper, 73 Bus, 77 Camper (Green), 77 Camper Automatic (Mustard), 83 Vanagon

(Former Samba user from a while back. Can't remember the email I used / username, etc)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Speedometer - Disconnect battery first? Reply with quote

i would. lots of live uninsulated terminals under there

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Speedometer - Disconnect battery first? Reply with quote

yes. disconnect.
once tried it with volts involved & you can energize the drag cup & ruin the return spring. no I will not post the stupid story here. : l
added plus: the vibrator for the fuel gauge in also in peril when you try this.

Last edited by timvw7476 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW-Drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Speedometer - Disconnect battery first? Reply with quote

Thank you both

63 Camper, 73 Bus, 77 Camper (Green), 77 Camper Automatic (Mustard), 83 Vanagon

(Former Samba user from a while back. Can't remember the email I used / username, etc)
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Speedometer - Disconnect battery first? Reply with quote

battery should be disconnected every time something electrical related is being worked on. What is the harm in doing that? It only takes a second to do it. Yes here is a lot of uninsulated terminals
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: