Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck at the wiper motor.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acommon79panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Hello! I finally decided to fix my bus wiring, and I'm stuck here. Now both of my steering wheel levers are missing (Turn lights and wipers) so I bought two from FLAPS and Im having a little trouble with the color of the wires because both diagram that I'm using (a 71 colored and a 79 also colored) doesn't have the colors that my Motor have.

It's a BOSCH Made in Mexico if that helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my very first time facing this problem, I haven't tried match the little numbers yet, but I had to ask here before do anything.

I found the wires just like that! cutted and just plugged to a switch that looks a lot like those in the Oster blenders? to make it work. (I know! It was pure wired anarchy)

I have comming out directly from the motor this 4 wires:

Black
Green
Black/Yellow
Black/Gray this one I know its comming directly from the Fuse Box and its the only wire that match de colors and yet the way that it appears to be connected in my bus doesn't match the two diagrams. (The 71 its useless in this part since the switch is a lever and not a pull one, tho)

I Hope this makes sense and someone could help me!

Also the little spade terminal the Wiper Motor have up and right in the pic with a black wire (that is separated from the other 4 wires I mentioned above)

Is conected to one of this 4 male terminals?

Thanks for your comments!
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Look at some pictures of original switches and note positions of the soldered connections. Compare those locations to the same on your new switches. Note color differences. Viola! Mystery solved.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Some of these should be helpful: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
This one particularly: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711488&highlight=wiper+wiring

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Acommon79panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Quote:
Look at some pictures of original switches and note positions of the soldered connections. Compare those locations to the same on your new switches. Note color differences. Viola! Mystery solved.

I will try with the levers of a friend of mine, but as long as I know, they are totaly diferent (it have spades insted jus the soldered part) since they are chinise (or at least it's what I think)

Friday I will take more pictures! My schedule its full tomorrow lol, but I definetely will try it this! Thank you!
Acommon79panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Quote:
Some of these should be helpful: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
This one particularly: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711488&highlight=wiper+wiring

Thanks busdaddy !! I've been reading The Stupid Question Tread from the very beggining faithfully (like my grandma with her mexican soap operas) but nothing about this hasn't come up yet, I mean I'm just in page 40, but I'm starting reading this post you gave me!

Thank you very much!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Just an fyi...when you are working on the wiper assembly be carefull you dont change the orientation of the wiper or the "park" location will change

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

I disconnected a lot of wiring when I did some sheet metal repairs to the front of my bus. I was careful about taking photos and making diagrams but I still screwed it up.

I ended up switching the wires from the park function on my wipers with the left turn signal light. The wire colors had faded or were dirty so it was easy to mix them up. I drove for months with my left turn signal lit up until I figured it out.

My method for wiring is to take lots of photos, print an enlarged wiring diagram and label it and figure it all out at my desk before I go flailing around under the dash. It has saved a lot of frustration.
Acommon79panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Quote:
Just an fyi...when you are working on the wiper assembly be carefull you dont change the orientation of the wiper or the "park" location will change

Can this happening even when I'm just rewiring?
I am not disassembling anything.
Acommon79panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Quote:
I disconnected a lot of wiring when I did some sheet metal repairs to the front of my bus. I was careful about taking photos and making diagrams but I still screwed it up.

I ended up switching the wires from the park function on my wipers with the left turn signal light. The wire colors had faded or were dirty so it was easy to mix them up. I drove for months with my left turn signal lit up until I figured it out.

My method for wiring is to take lots of photos, print an enlarged wiring diagram and label it and figure it all out at my desk before I go flailing around under the dash. It has saved a lot of frustration.

That's actually funny.

We do the same thing, first time I unscrew the fusebox got prepared with a lot of memory in my phone and recorded myself telling me all the characteristics of the wires, every little detail and it worked, buuut with the wipers switch I'm starting from 0, this its going to bring a lot of learning.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Acommon79panel wrote:
Quote:

Can this happening even when I'm just rewiring?
I am not disa⁹ssembling anything.

Sorry thought you were removing the wiper motor

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Acommon79panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Ok, I made some writing so it could be easier to explain my doubts

I have doubts in the numbers of the terminals with the arrows, in the pic you can see the 15 but, is that 15 for the left arrowed terminal? Which number should the right arrowed terminal have? I can barely see a " - " and nothing else.

This one is from the Wipers Harness, it does match the numbers for feeder (BK/GY), Park (Green), High (BL) and Low (BL/Y) speeds and I think I finally got this, but what does the J, L, T and 31 do? or how I could figure it out?

This one is the Turning Light Switch and now this will be my main concern now, should I start a new tread? I hope you could help me busdaddy with this one too!

Finally, what is this thing for? Its the water pump for the wipers or something like that?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Acommon79panel wrote:
Ok, I made some writing so it could be easier to explain my doubts

I have doubts in the numbers of the terminals with the arrows, in the pic you can see the 15 but, is that 15 for the left arrowed terminal? Which number should the right arrowed terminal have? I can barely see a " - " and nothing else.

I guess the first thing we should clear up is what year is your bus?, the switches look like something mid 74 or newer, is that correct? For now I'll assume it's a later model.

On the diagram below the hazard switch is E3 (43-4Cool, the mystery terminal is likely #31 (ground) so a - sign would apply.

On the wiper switch 31 is a ground, the brown/white is a momentary ground (switched), likely for an electric washer pump, the other wires may be for a delay wiper that's not on American or German diagrams. See if it works with those left loose.

The P wires on the signal switch are for a parking light system that wasn't used in North America, they can be taped up unless your town requires a single side light left on all night when parked on a narrow street.

The last mystery module has headlight wiring numbers, I'll guess it's a high/low beam switch (although I've never seen one like that before myself).

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_1975.jpg

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Acommon79panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess the first thing we should clear up is what year is your bus?, the switches look like something mid 74 or newer, is that correct? For now I'll assume it's a later model.

It's a Panel '79 but the pull switch it's very expensive in my FLAPS, I bought this one because it cost a 1/4 of the original price, so.. That's the reason, that been said, I think this does the same result as the pull, but I'm really saving so I can bought the original.

So, the mystery terminal in the hazard it's connected to body? Or where does that ground goes?

Is the same case for the ground (31) on wipers switch?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

That hazard switch will work for a 79, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a 68-71 model you were trying to adapt it to.
#31 (brown) is ground, on most it goes to the back of the instrument cluster where there's a multi terminal connection (looks like a flower or star), another wire connects that junction to the body near the wiper motor.

Слава Україні!
Acommon79panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Quote:
That hazard switch will work for a 79, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a 68-71 model you were trying to adapt it to.
#31 (brown) is ground, on most it goes to the back of the instrument cluster where there's a multi terminal connection (looks like a flower or star), another wire connects that junction to the body near the wiper motor.

Well just updating, I turned the key and it started almost in the first try, no smoke from the cables nor fuses blew up, I think I'm ok until now, I followed the diagram to the letter (at least what my pieces let me)

I did conect the hazard sw (- to body, and the little light worked) just a few more questions busdaddy, my female conectors of the speedormeter doesn't have energy at all, everything seems right in place.

If they had energy I could think that I'm just forgot to plug some ground but they doesn't have energy at all, could be a bad light switch? Do I need to put te + of the multimeter in the terminal that goes to the lights and the - of the multimeter to body to try it? If them have energy it's not a faulty switch?

I'm using a digital chinise velocimeter btw, I'll take pictures tomorrow.

When I pull the switch the digital numbers, the gas level and the voltage gauge turns off.

Man, a lot of questions. Thanks for any answer you can give me!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Good to hear it's coming along, but that speedometer question sounds like pictures may help.

Слава Україні!
Acommon79panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Quote:
Good to hear it's coming along, but that speedometer question sounds like pictures may help.

I don't know what I did but suddently the lights started working, maybe the spades were a little bit rust, because I just wiggle it and started up.

Anyway, here is the picture and how it is wired in my bus, I couln'd find the originial color codes sadly.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Can I ask what Chinese speedometer you are using? Looks to me it might be digital? I have been searching for a digital speedometer that is in MPH.
Acommon79panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck at the wiper motor. Reply with quote

Absolutely, CarlIseminger, it's made in Mexico, please remember me again if I forgot to upload the picture, I'll take some pics in the morning.
[/quote]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: